Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rome in November

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I went to Rome last November for 4 or 5 days. The weather was surprisingly good. Avoid the restaurants just next to the Vatican. I made the stupid mistake of sitting down and not asking for the prices. They try and rush you, don't give you a menu and you end up paying way over the odds for something like a sandwich and a drink.

The Jewish area of Rome - Trastevere is well worth a look.

There was no sign of the Barbarian horde at the Coliseum :-(

Enjoy.

One of my favourite ever holidays with the Mrs was when we backpacked through Italy by train staying at Venice, Florence and Rome in independent 2/3* places. Rome was my favourite of those 3 cities. We stayed in Trastervere which had good access to the sites and a restaurant that served me the best spaghetti alla vongole I've ever had the pleasure of eating. Found the Trevi Fountain fairly annoying as it seemed to be full of Indians trying to take your photo. Everything else blew my mind. Can't wait for my lad to be old enough to do a Romans project at school so we have an excuse to go back.

I went in summer though. No idea what the weather's like in November.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sorry but i'm gobsmacked, you were underwhelmed by what , the colosseum? the forum?, The Pantheon?, St Marks Square? St Peters? the Sistine Chapel?

Personally i think you could spend a month in Rome exploring the sights and still not have seen everything, that list above hardly scratches the surface of the fantatastic things to see.

Actually I didn't count the Vatican City as part of Rome, so I'll take that bit back, that was the best bit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Me and the Mrs are looking to do a city break in Rome for my 30th at the end of November. Anyone been around that time? Will the weather be ok?
It will be overcast on the Tuesday, and raining heavily on the Wednesday, but apart from that it will be clear and fresh.
I wasn't overally impressed with Rome when we went 3 years ago. Admittedly we only spent a day there and did all the sights, but having ticked it off I wouldn't go back.
I felt the opposite, Rome was one of my favourite city breaks.

It's got history. One of the few things I did like was the fact pretty much all of it is still old and hasn't been replaced with huge plastic McDonald's signs.
There's a McDonald's very close to the Spanish Steps. They were only allowed to open it on condition that no coloured signing would appear on the exterior of the building. And none of Ronald McDonald's arches.

Whether these rules have been relaxed, I'll leave for a future visitor to tell. I'm certain, though, that no-one in their right mind would want to eat there, when there are hundreds of alternatives nearby.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
All areas of huge historic and architectural importance; all freely available;

I don't disagree, if the italians did something about the beggers, did a bit of cleaning and stopped the constant souvenir selling aggressiveness (it was almost impossible to take photos in case you happened to be pointing the camera in the general vacinity of a poorly dressed up roman centurian who would then hound you for "royalty fees"), it would probably be a huge improvement.

Having been to Rome and Jerusalem (which historically I think are similar places) the latter wins handsdown IMO.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Was there last Nov and daytime was sunny and warm. A bit chill in the evening though.

Was fun getting back to the airport with the public sector all going on strike and one flight being cancelled............18km of stress, stress, stress! Never happened to me in Amsterdam unfortunatly - was always hoping?? !! ??

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I did a week there in September 09 with the girl I was seeing at the time. Weather was alright, rained a couple of days but generally t-shirt weather.

I loved the city itself, bit of a history nut so all that stuff I found very interesting.

We stayed outside of Rome itself in a lovely little hotel about twenty minutes train ride away. It is very pricey over there. We went with a set budget and had to re-adjust it as soon as we got there.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
I suppose it's each to their own but I'm staggered that people can really dismiss Rome as being 'a bit shit'. There are crowds at the main attractions but some of the 'lesser' sites, the churches, the galleries just make you realise how the city is dripping with culture, with history from the early Romans through the Renaissance, to some of the fascinating stories and background of the Nazi occupation and some of the 'deals' that were done between high-ranking Nazi officers in regards to what was left untouched.

Supposedly Berlin ordered Rome to be destroyed as the occupying Wehrmacht retreated - and this was left in the hands of a number of SS officers. There is a small thetare in Southern Rome (foret it's name) where an agreement was made that none of Romes architecture would be touched.

Personally I could get lost in Rome for weeks.

But as I say - each to their own.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Went to Rome in early December to watch Bath play Aquila in the Rugby. Drove up to Aquila on the Saturday, but spend Sunday and Monday doing thr sights.
Stayed near the Spanish Steps in a hotel that was nothing special, but reasonably cheap.
Did most of the city on foot, and the rest used the Metro or whatever its called. Don't seem to recall there were that many beggers or people demanding cash for photos etc.

Traffics a bit mental there but one of the few downsides. They could also put a bit more effort into describing all the historical stuff they have there, its best you take your own guide book.

Major positives, history, food, coffee, general Italian madness.

Would place it well above any other Euro city with the exception of London.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Went there a few years ago for a sightseeing trip.
While there, we went to see a match at the Olympic Stadium, Lazio against someone (can't remember).
It was a fantastic atmosphere, nearly as good as the Amex, and there was a vendor selling beer in glass bottles while you sat in your seat.
If you get the chance, it's well worth doing!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I am in the "Rome is wonderful" camp. For me it's the beginning of our history too. Yes it's got beggars, litter, and other problems but what top city does not? I would go back there any time whereas been to Paris once. Never again. Awful place and people. Each to their own.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I cant say I was ever bothered by a tramp or someone begging - maybe I looked too poor. I never got hounded taking photographs. Found all shopkeepers and waiters very helpful (they put up with my poor attempts at their language) and were willing to work through a menu to assist the vegetarians in our group.

There are McDonalds - they dont stand out and tend to be inhabited by language students (many English teenagers I have to say) as gettinga decent meal can be quite cost effective and in many cases cheaper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here