Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rome in November

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Me and the Mrs are looking to do a city break in Rome for my 30th at the end of November. Anyone been around that time? Will the weather be ok? Not looking for winter sun but as long as its not snowing or chucking it down!

Where is the best area to stay so most of the sites are in walking distance? Going to push the boat out a bit on a 4-5 star hotel, can anyone recommend one for a max of £175-£200 per night?

:cheers:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I wasn't overally impressed with Rome when we went 3 years ago. Admittedly we only spent a day there and did all the sights, but having ticked it off I wouldn't go back.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Love Rome, very pricey though. We stayed at a LOVELY boutique hotel called Casa Montani. Great service, about 8 rooms and very friendly owners/staff. Price was around 150EUR a night I think for October/November but last time I checked it had gone up a bit. Also recommended some great places to eat you'd never find as a tourist, that were well priced and decent food compared to the tourist trap places.

Have been there on business and paid 200EUR a night for very average place, so be careful if you do look elsewhere.

Good location too

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I've been to Rome a few times. Last time stayed in the Relais Trevi 41 which is the annexe to a hotel right by the fountain. You get all the benefits of the hotel location but much cheaper (my review from last may is on Trip Advisor).

There are plenty of places where you can eat and drink reasonably without paying top tourist dollar. L'Archetto Spaghetteria (near the fountain) is one example

I've not been in November, but have done Florence in November which was about 10 degrees during the day (maybe 2 or 3 at night). It was clear with a couple of small drizzly showers.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Three Amigos were there earlier this month. The stories I could tell ................

Rome.JPG

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Love Rome, very pricey though. We stayed at a LOVELY boutique hotel called Casa Montani. Great service, about 8 rooms and very friendly owners/staff. Price was around 150EUR a night I think for October/November but last time I checked it had gone up a bit. Also recommended some great places to eat you'd never find as a tourist, that were well priced and decent food compared to the tourist trap places.

Have been there on business and paid 200EUR a night for very average place, so be careful if you do look elsewhere.

Good location too

Looks good, 5/5 on tripadvisor and only £130 per night or £150 for a suite! There seems to be quite a few of these 'micro-hotels' that are more like a handful of apartments linked together and breakfast delivered to the door. Have looked at this place too for £140/£190 per night which is ranked the best hotel in Rome apparently!http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187791-d2091012-Reviews-Deko_Rome-Rome_Lazio.html

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I wasn't overally impressed with Rome when we went 3 years ago. Admittedly we only spent a day there and did all the sights, but having ticked it off I wouldn't go back.

Have to say I agree with that, it's alright, but not much more than that. I thought I was looking at Shithurst Park when confronted with The Colosseum.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
It was an organised trip part coach part walking. We only obviously did the touristy bits and most of these just seemed on the whole underwhelming.

Sorry but i'm gobsmacked, you were underwhelmed by what , the colosseum? the forum?, The Pantheon?, St Marks Square? St Peters? the Sistine Chapel?

Personally i think you could spend a month in Rome exploring the sights and still not have seen everything, that list above hardly scratches the surface of the fantatastic things to see.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Sorry but i'm gobsmacked, you were underwhelmed by what , the colosseum? the forum?, The Pantheon?, St Marks Square? St Peters? the Sistine Chapel?

Personally i think you could spend a month in Rome exploring the sights and still not have seen everything, that list above hardly scratches the surface of the fantatastic things to see.

If you have not done already I would go to Barcelona or Marrakesh.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, Via Vittorio Veneto, 191 · Rome, 00187 Italy

Very plush, next door to Villa Borghese Gardens, a couple of miles from the Colosseum and about 2.5 miles from Vatican City. Spanish Steps, Imperial Forum, Trevi Fountain all nearby.
If you want to see the Catacombs and mausoleums you will have to use the underground, buses or taxis.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
How can anybody not see good in Rome?

The Vatican City, St Peter's, Borghese, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, The forum, Piazza navone?

All areas of huge historic and architectural importance; all freely available; Do some of you go round with your eyes closed?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I wouldn't bother going to Rome. It's full of beggars, very dirty and the sights are mainly underwhelming as somebody above rightly says. In the 'major western Europeean cities packed with sights' market, I would rank it bottom.

Paris - 10/10
Berlin - 9/10
Barcelona 8.5/10
London - 6/10
Rome - 3/10

Rome pisses all over Berlin & Paris

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I went to Rome last November for 4 or 5 days. The weather was surprisingly good. Avoid the restaurants just next to the Vatican. I made the stupid mistake of sitting down and not asking for the prices. They try and rush you, don't give you a menu and you end up paying way over the odds for something like a sandwich and a drink.

The Jewish area of Rome - Trastevere is well worth a look.

There was no sign of the Barbarian horde at the Coliseum :-(

Enjoy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here