Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Romain Vincelot

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
And you were doing SO well. Couldn't resist throwing in a little bit of CMS bashing at the end. :nono:

not from me EVER

CMS plays best in a pair NOT as a lone striker - it just is not his game - put someone up alongside him who he can play with and play off and he will score goals. Put him up front alone and he will chase lost causes all day long but he will struggle to score

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
not from me EVER

CMS plays best in a pair NOT as a lone striker - it just is not his game - put someone up alongside him who he can play with and play off and he will score goals. Put him up front alone and he will chase lost causes all day long but he will struggle to score

Ideally, I want us to sign Roque Santa Cruz and play them as a pair because I agree, he would be lethal. But he CAN play alone, he just needs better service than we managed this season. When the ball was into him in the box, he scored. Blackpool, Leeds twice (and then away), Ipswich, Derby, Palace...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
not from me EVER

That'll be his Kenny Milleresque role for Scotland you'll be referring to then...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Which was Vincelot's role at Dagenham the season before we signed him.

Happy to try him - if not as first choice then as the back up as I could honestly see him playing a box to box role and was surprised we didn't give it a go last season. I guess Gus has his reasons but I'm not sure I understand them.

What I would much rather not see is us playing any two defensive midfielders after seeing last season how it limited us as an offensive force

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I thought he was amazing when he came on for Painter for the second half against Watford. If only he'd played against West Ham we probably wouldn't have conceded so many...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Ideally, I want us to sign Roque Santa Cruz and play them as a pair because I agree, he would be lethal. But he CAN play alone, he just needs better service than we managed this season. When the ball was into him in the box, he scored. Blackpool, Leeds twice (and then away), Ipswich, Derby, Palace...

That failed because of a combination of Hoskins being unavailable and the failure of our midfield to deal with the Championship which resulted in us reverting to playing 2 defensive mids and playing Barnes as additional wide cover to protect the full backs. We have covered the wide defensive deficiencies and we are trying to resolve the gap we consistently left in the centre and our inability to take controlled ball out of defence.

I am surprised that Gus has given up on that plan but clearly he has. Everything is being geared to finding a target striker who can lay the ball off and hold it up. I'm honestly not convinced and I liked the original plan but if we have abandoned it then so be it. Whatever the solution we will not be playing CMS as an isolated lone striker.

Give him support and give him quicker ball and he will give us 15 to 20 goals a season

What I would much rather not see is us playing any two defensive midfielders after seeing last season how it limited us as an offensive force

If we play 3 attacking midfielders, like Barca (yes yes in structure prob not in speed!) with a defensive pair I think it gives us more attacking options. It is the tucked in Barnes (although he played it well all season)/Dicker position that I don't get. Two defensive allows us to play 3 from Buckley, Noone, Lua Lua, Barnes, Vicente

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Was awesome when he came on v Watford and thought he took his goal against Cov really well too. I do like the bloke, hope he gets a run in the team, but as mentioned before his versatility could be his downfall in nailing a permanent place in the starting XI.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That failed because of a combination of Hoskins being unavailable and the failure of our midfield to deal with the Championship which resulted in us reverting to playing 2 defensive mids and playing Barnes as additional wide cover to protect the full backs. We have covered the wide defensive deficiencies and we are trying to resolve the gap we consistently left in the centre and our inability to take controlled ball out of defence.

I am surprised that Gus has given up on that plan but clearly he has. Everything is being geared to finding a target striker who can lay the ball off and hold it up. I'm honestly not convinced and I liked the original plan but if we have abandoned it then so be it. Whatever the solution we will not be playing CMS as an isolated lone striker.

Give him support and give him quicker ball and he will give us 15 to 20 goals a season

To be honest, I think we see everything in almost exactly the same way. CMS can play alone up front, but he needs people within 20 yards of him, unlike last season when he was completely isolated up front. I would hope that with stronger full backs and a better partner for Bridcutt and BOOM, CMS will score again. The future is bright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here