Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Romain Vincelot

More I think about it the more I think that Vincelot is part of the answer to the midfield. Playing as a defensive pair with Bridcott, with 3 attacking midfielders in front. With a lone striker...mind you is CMS the striker? I would like to think so

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
More I think about it the more I think that Vincelot is part of the answer to the midfield. Playing as a defensive pair with Bridcott, with 3 attacking midfielders in front. With a lone striker...mind you is CMS the striker? I would like to think so

I know he is a good utility player but I don't see he has more to offer than Navarro did, I would sooner have Nav in that position.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Feel a bit sorry for Vincelot, every time i have seen him play he has been one of the better players on the pitch. I think the fact that he is a good utility player goes against him. With our new additions I don't think he will be getting much game time anymore. Shame but that is the direction we are going

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Absolute bargain IMO, almost a shame he's so versatile because it means he's destined to be cover for multiple positions and unlikely to ever start many games. Puts in an epic shift, is good in the air, strong in the tackle and comfortable on the ball - bargain for 100k.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Feel a bit sorry for Vincelot, every time i have seen him play he has been one of the better players on the pitch. I think the fact that he is a good utility player goes against him. With our new additions I don't think he will be getting much game time anymore. Shame but that is the direction we are going

Agree with you here, I actually felt that during the game time he got last season he was showing himself as good enough to push for a starting place (specifically at left back). Now though...well, as you say, he's a utility player. I suspect he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet, just as a bench warmer.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Really good player, played an important role in our start to last season. I don't think he's the centre back he seems to think he is, I think he could brilliant in that midfield role, but I would rather he was the back up to Bridcutt and Diop (or whoever Gus prefers!).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would rather we didn't play anyone in that position and I think Gus's stated intention of getting a big box to box midfielder rather underlines the point.

One defensive mid (Bridcutt)
One box to box (New )
One creative (Vicente)
One winger (perm any one from four)

TWO strikers (because CMS cannot play as a lone striker)

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Agree with you here, I actually felt that during the game time he got last season he was showing himself as good enough to push for a starting place (specifically at left back). Now though...well, as you say, he's a utility player. I suspect he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet, just as a bench warmer.

At least with the new 7 subs rule he is certain to make the bench every game

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I would rather we didn't play anyone in that position and I think Gus's stated intention of getting a big box to box midfielder rather underlines the point.
Which was Vincelot's role at Dagenham the season before we signed him.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

One defensive mid (Bridcutt)
One box to box (New )
One creative (Vicente)
One winger (perm any one from four)

TWO strikers (because CMS cannot play as a lone striker)

Precisely what I think ... I'd defo play 2 of Barnes/CMS/Hoskins up front and spend every penny left on the box to box fella

rjbseagull

Apr 27, 2010
Was excellent in the middle against Pompey second game of the season, wouldn't mind seeing him given another go there.

Not the most gifted on the ball though which probably counts against him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Very much doubt if Vincelot would be missed any more than Denis Bergkamp's less gifted nephew to be honest.

Based on what? He has hardly had a fair chance or good run in the team, but when he has, he has at least been decent.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I completely agree. It's a real shame he got sent off so early vs Burnley at home because I would have loved to see him perform in that role. Realistically now all he can hope for is to act as cover at LB I suppose as he is better than Painter there.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I thought this was another slag off a player thread but we are on the same page. Can do a job.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
For the record I would probably place him higher in the midfield pecking order than Harley, Dicker and Sparrow but I doubt Gus agrees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here