[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Steele is better than Sanchez. He took our no.1 slot for sound footballing reasons. Chelsea will be seeking a possession based game too.

I can’t fathom why Winstanley/Roberts think Sanchez is anywhere near a team or squad they’re planning to win the biggest trophies with.
Sure, but the point is, as you say it is sound footballing reasons, not sound goalkeeping reasons.

Appreciate, the game has changed and RdZ places a lot of emphasis on footballing skills, and that is good enough for me, but the whole rhetoric around Sanchez is a poor goalkeeper is just wrong.

He is only going to improve, and parking he appeared to behave like a dick, doesn’t make him a poor goalie.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The only errors I can think of are ones where he passes long instead of short. Situations where he doesn't play to the right style. Those are errors as well. The balls often had the wrong pace and wrong timing on them as well. You can see the difference between them with Steele.

You can argue it's doesn't make him a bad goaltender as it is a style related thing, but for the style we play, playing the way he was with the ball is an error.
Well sorry, but that is nonsense. Steele is exceptional with his feet, Sanchez is average IMO. That does not make every poor pass an error, otherwise we have a lot of poor players even yesterday.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Well sorry, but that is nonsense. Steele is exceptional with his feet, Sanchez is average IMO. That does not make every poor pass an error, otherwise we have a lot of poor players even yesterday.
When he goes long instead of short it is an error. When he plays it short with the wrong pace it is an error. Steele makes less errors than Sanchez. And yes, there were a lot of errors yesterday. That doesn't make them poor players. An error doesn't make you a poor player, errors happen. It is down to what type and how often you make them and how you recover from them.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
When he goes long instead of short it is an error. When he plays it short with the wrong pace it is an error. Steele makes less errors than Sanchez. And yes, there were a lot of errors yesterday. That doesn't make them poor players. An error doesn't make you a poor player, errors happen. It is down to what type and how often you make them and how you recover from them.
So on that basis perhaps harsh Sanchez was dropped given the amount of ‘errors’ by outfield players?

I’m not sorry Steele is in goal, but I’m not having Sanchez made lots of errors, because it is inaccurate. He remains an exceptional goalie, whose passing was not good enough for how we play, it certainly wasn’t goalkeeping reasons.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
So on that basis perhaps harsh Sanchez was dropped given the amount of ‘errors’ by outfield players?

I’m not sorry Steele is in goal, but I’m not having Sanchez made lots of errors, because it is inaccurate. He remains an exceptional goalie, whose passing was not good enough for how we play, it certainly wasn’t goalkeeping reasons.
He’s not an ‘exceptional goalie’ that’s just blatant over exaggeration.

Off the top of my head I can think of three huge errors last season that led to goals (Man United, Liverpool, Palace, all away).

Given he was second choice for the back end of the season that’s a large number of goals from direct errors and exceptional goalkeepers do not make anywhere near that many.

He was good, had potential and that’s about it.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Off the top of my head I can think of three huge errors last season that led to goals (Man United, Liverpool, Palace, all away).

Given he was second choice for the back end of the season that’s a large number of goals from direct errors and exceptional goalkeepers do not make anywhere near that many.

Home to Arsenal at Christmas time he was really poor too. The Martinelli goal especially was pathetic keeping.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Man Utd? Really. Liverpool as well? You’ll have to talk me through those.

I would say playing for Spain would indicate he’s quite good, if not ‘exceptional’. I’m not sure of many other goalies of a similar age who are as good, obviously IMO.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Steele is better than Sanchez. He took our no.1 slot for sound footballing reasons. Chelsea will be seeking a possession based game too.

I can’t fathom why Winstanley/Roberts think Sanchez is anywhere near a team or squad they’re planning to win the biggest trophies with.
I see no evidence that Chelsea have a plan to build an actual squad. It just seems to be a scatter gun approach to recruitment and paying a lot of money for what are statistically good players (but those transfer fees come with their own pressures).

There is no evidence they will gel as a team and they aren’t given the time before the next bunch are signed in the hope of changing their fortunes.

At the moment they seem bloated in certain positions and not enough numbers in other positions, this leads to an unbalanced squad and the high turn over of players doesn’t allow for a real team spirit to build, the morale in the changing room drops and that rubs off on the new players and the cycle starts again.

The most baffling part of all of this is that it’s being overseen by Paul Winstanley who was part of building almost the exact opposite here. I can only assume PBOBE and Tony Bloom subjected him to some sort of Men In Black mind wipe before he cleared his desk.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I see no evidence that Chelsea have a plan to build an actual squad. It just seems to be a scatter gun approach to recruitment and paying a lot of money for what are statistically good players (but those transfer fees come with their own pressures).

There is no evidence they will gel as a team and they aren’t given the time before the next bunch are signed in the hope of changing their fortunes.

At the moment they seem bloated in certain positions and not enough numbers in other positions, this leads to an unbalanced squad and the high turn over of players doesn’t allow for a real team spirit to build, the morale in the changing room drops and that rubs off on the new players and the cycle starts again.

The most baffling part of all of this is that it’s being overseen by Paul Winstanley who was part of building almost the exact opposite here. I can only assume PBOBE and Tony Bloom subjected him to some sort of Men In Black mind wipe before he cleared his desk.
Agree and long May it continue.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

I would say playing for Spain would indicate he’s quite good, if not ‘exceptional’. I’m not sure of many other goalies of a similar age who are as good, obviously IMO.
His positioning for the Fulham winner at the Amex was terrible too. Got his angles totally wrong.

That was actually they game he was dropped after. Not the Palace match.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
His positioning for the Fulham winner at the Amex was terrible too. Got his angles totally wrong.

That was actually they game he was dropped after. Not the Palace match.
A bit harsh, could have been a yard further out, but not a pure error, as in a fumble, handling error, woefully slow out. Positionally could have been better, I agree, but you could argue that on a number of goals we’ve conceded subsequently.

Edit - there’s always an error somewhere even yesterday, the player had a free header, and perhaps Steele could have done a little better, but he was obscured by a player who looked offside….

Reddleman

May 17, 2017

Yeah, away at old Trafford first game of the season he came for a corner missed his punch completely and it ended up bouncing in off Alexis (it’s on YouTube if required).

At Anfield in RDZ first game, same thing. He flew out for a cross missed the ball all together and it hit Webster and bounced in. Two horrendous pieces of keeping.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017

Go to 1 minute 55 seconds.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sure, but the point is, as you say it is sound footballing reasons, not sound goalkeeping reasons.

Appreciate, the game has changed and RdZ places a lot of emphasis on footballing skills, and that is good enough for me, but the whole rhetoric around Sanchez is a poor goalkeeper is just wrong.

He is only going to improve, and parking he appeared to behave like a dick, doesn’t make him a poor goalie.

Boehly overnight is trying to cheat his way to a squad the level of Citeh and Real. 22 great players.

Imho Sanchez was a significant step up on Ryan, but there are flaws to his game and not just passing, he’s a PL goalie but a million miles away from Ederson, Alisson or Coutois.

I’m surprised the Chavs bought him, stunned they’re starting him in PL games, and highly delighted.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Go to 1 minute 55 seconds.
I think that’s fair, but it may have taken a slight glance off the Liverpool player. Not sure.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017

2 minutes 30 seconds.

So that’s at least three howlers. He played 23 league games last season so even if you ignore the other goals others have stated that’s a major error roughly every 7/8 games.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The thing is rather than trimming their squad they have filled it so it is just as bloated at the start of Summer. Poch is being set up to fail in the same way Potter was. The people running the club are completely clueless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports