Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roadmap out of Lockdown - Feb 22nd

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think they've gone 3 weeks too early on school re-opening but all we can do now is look at the on-going figures and make a judgement on the facts as they present without any claims of hind sight.

I also really hope they don't have another Eat Out to Help the Virus disaster later in the year.

Last edited:

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Hearing rule of 6 outdoors from 29th March.

Lewes’s small skate park has regularly had anything from 20-40 kids of varying ages all mingling right through this lockdown, often with groups of parents stood around together chatting while watching their kids, no masks on anyone. What lockdown?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's clear this is a seasonal flu, so it will fade to low levels in the summer like it did last year. The intention to 'ease lockdown' is about the government betting on how soon and by how much it can jump the gun.

Knowing this shower it will note 'the science' and follow its instinct to court popularity by conferring baubles (of 'freedom') on the public. This means that it will loosen the strings that bit too soon. This runs the risk of an upturn in numbers in late March/April.

I think 'we' are doing well with rolling out vaccines. I am also pleased that the covid vaccine knowhow has meant that new vaccines for new variants will roll out quickly from now on. This may not save us from a new variant bum-bite this Spring but, going forward, we will have all the right vaccines ready to innoculate the vulnerable in the Autumn, ready for the 2021/22 winter Covid pandemic.

So my short term strategy would be ramp up the vaccinations, not risk mixed messages that will lead to mass rule breaking till mid April. I gather that all kids go back to school in 2 weeks (announced today). I suspect this is madness. None are vaccinated and this runs the risk of super spreading.

Long term is easy. Vaccinate the vulnerable every late summer, as soon as there is a vaccine for the new variant. Life otherwise 100% nornal except a permanent 'advice' to the older and vulnerable that they may be at risk of covid-X at any time if not vaccinated for the current dominant mutant.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
No outdoor sport until 29th March would be a ****ing joke.

Exercise is SO important. More important than kids going to school.

Eh? No one has stopped you exercising since Covid first hit? Indoors at home (workouts etc)/garden (if you have one), outdoors- walking/running/cycling.

Any exercise above that is most certainly not more important than kids going to school (where they will be given exercise)!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
note a change of emphasis, away from headline infection cases to hospitalisation, as it should be.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Lewes’s small skate park has regularly had anything from 20-40 kids of varying ages all mingling right through this lockdown, often with groups of parents stood around together chatting while watching their kids, no masks on anyone. What lockdown?

But at least this rule-breaking interaction takes place outside. All the science points to clean air severely curtailing the transmission of this virus. There are many scientists and clinicians pointing out that during and after the Spanish Flu pandemic (1920s) society learnt the value of clean air and ventilation again - that's 100 years ago society talking about the benefits of clean air. But at the same time the very pertinent narrative about climate change and the need for better insulated, heat-retaining dwellings/office spaces flies in the face of this simple piece of advice - and that's before you add in the problems with poorly maintained aircon systems.

Boris' roadmap is clearly going to extol the virtues of outside interaction and discourage/stop the reintroduction of enclosed gathering in any numbers - apart from schools

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
note a change of emphasis, away from headline infection cases to hospitalisation, as it should be.

Yes, was going to make this point in relation to worries about R and mutation.

Lockdowns were only ever to save lives (not *all* lives, which is impossible) and protect the NHS. Hospitalization should be the canary in the mine - yes it will be about a two week lag but it's perfectly feasible (science folk, correct me if I'm wrong) that a vaccine resistant strain may need to have less severe outcomes in people to be successful. Otherwise it becomes a game of whack-a-mole with increasingly fewer moles and more hammers.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
No outdoor sport until 29th March would be a ****ing joke.

Exercise is SO important. More important than kids going to school.

So important you cant wait 3 weeks??? The kids will be getting exercise at school and adults can exercise individually now anyway. I dont think many would say mass exercise is more important than school especially when it is just a 3 week delay.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Disagree. Sports are absolutely crucial for the health and wellbeing of the nation.

I agree kids going to school is important, but not as important as the health and wellbeing of people who are currently unable to do sports.

It is now well established that Covid transmits considerably less in an outdoor environment. Also that schools are a hot pot of transmission. On the balance of things, it is ridiculous to let the kids back and not allow outdoor sport.

And how are people unable to go for a run, cycle or walk, use gym equipment at home, do a Joe Wicks workout, do keepy ups in their back garden or local park by themself or with a friend who keeps their distance or, where we live, do a coldwater swim or watersport as I still see many doing on Hove beach in the morning?

Is TEAM sport more important than school? No. No it's not.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Living in a flat immediately wipes off half of those options.

But you exemplify my point - if those things are acceptable, why can't golf, tennis, cricket, basketball or even football be allowed back?

Straight away this would improve the health and wellbeing of millions who are currently unable to do these things.

Half? Living in a flat stops you walking, jogging or cycling outside, doing a Joe Wickes workout or going to the beach for a swim? Really?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
why can't golf, tennis, cricket, basketball or even football be allowed back?

Straight away this would improve the health and wellbeing of millions who are currently unable to do these things.

Not the way I play golf :rant:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I generally think what we've heard about the roadmap sounds about right, decent level of caution, but I do agree on Golf (a sport I don't personally like playing, before anyone suggests personal bias...).

There is absolutely no risk whatsoever to two people playing golf together at the moment. I can't understand why it's being held back to the same point as close contact sports like football. At least bring it back on March 8th no?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Living in a flat immediately wipes off half of those options.

But you exemplify my point - if those things are acceptable, why can't golf, tennis, cricket, basketball or even football be allowed back?

Fancy a game of cricket before 29th March?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I generally think what we've heard about the roadmap sounds about right, decent level of caution, but I do agree on Golf (a sport I don't personally like playing, before anyone suggests personal bias...).

There is absolutely no risk whatsoever to two people playing golf together at the moment. I can't understand why it's being held back to the same point as close contact sports like football. At least bring it back on March 8th no?

There isn't much if any risk with golf, I guess in the grand scheme of things though golf is still very much a rich white mans sport, what big benefit to society does it give reopening golf clubs? I've noted quite a few celebrities banging the drum on reopening golf clubs and they all seem to have one thing in common, they're all keen golfers themselves.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
My guess.

8 March schools return
22 March SAGE announces increase in transmission due to Schools reopening. Reccomends schools be closed and route out of lockdown suspended. All children are to be vaccinated.
11 April. After Easter holidays, Sage reports uptick in deaths among elderly population, not explained by comorbidities. 'Evidence' of new variant discovered, feared to be resistant to current vaccines. This is attributed to illegal household mixing over Easter.

Lockdown continues ad infinitum.

March 2022. Chris Hopson, CEO, NHS providers declares it miraculous that NHS wasn't overwhelmed during Winter. Urges more caution at any easing of restrictions.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There isn't much if any risk with golf, I guess in the grand scheme of things though golf is still very much a rich white mans sport, what big benefit to society does it give reopening golf clubs? I've noted quite a few celebrities banging the drum on reopening golf clubs and they all seem to have one thing in common, they're all keen golfers themselves.

Sadly I think you're right regarding the optics, which shows this is a political decision, not a scientific one. Shame.

I have numerous friends who aren't rich who would like to be able to play golf. There's no risk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here