Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roadmap out of Lockdown - Feb 22nd

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I generally think what we've heard about the roadmap sounds about right, decent level of caution, but I do agree on Golf (a sport I don't personally like playing, before anyone suggests personal bias...).

There is absolutely no risk whatsoever to two people playing golf together at the moment. I can't understand why it's being held back to the same point as close contact sports like football. At least bring it back on March 8th no?

I fear we're going down a rabbit hole but if you're running a golf club do you really want all the expense of maintaining the holes, cleaning all the equipment and keeping a strict appointment-only tee time system going without your bar revenue? Especially in cold, wet and windy March? And, from a government point of view, if you do open sports venues where people can consume alcohol and food outside you risk them becoming covid speakeasies.

I'd genuinely be looking at leaving it a month and having a real bonanza just when the weather turns, by when many more will be vaccinated. From both the industry and government pov.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
There isn't much if any risk with golf, I guess in the grand scheme of things though golf is still very much a rich white mans sport, what big benefit to society does it give reopening golf clubs? I've noted quite a few celebrities banging the drum on reopening golf clubs and they all seem to have one thing in common, they're all keen golfers themselves.

Have been using the golf ban to run around a number of golf courses in my area (avoiding the tees/greens) in 1 to 18 order! Not something you could ever do before/after, unless you are an after dark runner, so taking the opportunity whilst there.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Yes, you can't start banging on the floorboards if you have people living beneath you.

Just because there are some very unmotivating and difficult ways to get exercise like you mention, does not mean that it then justifies the ban on all the countless sports that people rely on to keep fit and happy.

The coffee shops have remained open throughout this entire lockdown... but yet people still won't be able to play golf or tennis for another month? It's a ****ing joke.

Horizontal jogging (may need a friend)?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I really hope that's right, although it could introduce other problems (the young, administration, 'border hopping')

Once they lift the stay at home law, how do you stop travel?

I don't know the answer, I thought it is what made travelling overseas illegal

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My guess.

8 March schools return
22 March SAGE announces increase in transmission due to Schools reopening. Reccomends schools be closed and route out of lockdown suspended. All children are to be vaccinated.
11 April. After Easter holidays, Sage reports uptick in deaths among elderly population, not explained by comorbidities. 'Evidence' of new variant discovered, feared to be resistant to current vaccines. This is attributed to illegal household mixing over Easter.

Lockdown continues ad infinitum.

March 2022. Chris Hopson, CEO, NHS providers declares it miraculous that NHS wasn't overwhelmed during Winter. Urges more caution at any easing of restrictions.

I am hoping when we start to lift, they seriously look at not publishing details of cases etc daily.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's very bizarre, he said exactly the same on BBC Breakfast.

I know. A slip of the tongue I can understand but to say it twice is bizarre as you said. It's not as if the 8th May is a Monday, it's a Saturday, so not even a mix up with months.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How do things always get leaked? Surely only the most senior ministers should be knowing details before it released? It’s utterly farcical

I am so angry about this roadmap I honestly don’t know where to start, schools are the priority that’s the only part I agree with, 3/4 weeks between restriction easing is truly bizzare, the same time scale as last summer despite the fact upwards of 50% of our adult population are now either immune via natural infection or vaccinated?

End of March before people can meet another household in a park, I mean are they actually bloody stupid? Everyone is doing that already, and I don’t blame people in the slightest, if this year has taught me anything it’s how precious time is and people are starting to realise that and making their own choices instead of being treated like peasants by the government. Now older people are vaccinated all they want to do is see their grandkids or family, can you blame them? How doesn’t Boris on his runs, see this is literally happening already?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think they've gone 3 weeks too early on school re-opening but all we can do now is look at the on-going figures and make a judgement on the facts as they present without any claims of hind sight.

I also really hope they don't have another Eat Out to Help the Virus disaster later in the year.

Lol I think you’ve mentioned the school bit about five times before :)

If we can’t be eating out later in the year then surely somethings gone seriously wrong

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's very bizarre, he said exactly the same on BBC Breakfast.

listening to it he means Febuary. inquiring minds might ask whats happening in mid-April thats on his mind.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
How do things always get leaked? Surely only the most senior ministers should be knowing details before it released? It’s utterly farcical

I am so angry about this roadmap I honestly don’t know where to start, schools are the priority that’s the only part I agree with, 3/4 weeks between restriction easing is truly bizzare, the same time scale as last summer despite the fact upwards of 50% of our adult population are now either immune via natural infection or vaccinated?

End of March before people can meet another household in a park, I mean are they actually bloody stupid? Everyone is doing that already, and I don’t blame people in the slightest, if this year has taught me anything it’s how precious time is and people are starting to realise that and making their own choices instead of being treated like peasants by the government. Now older people are vaccinated all they want to do is see their grandkids or family, can you blame them? How doesn’t Boris on his runs, see this is literally happening already?

Seconded

Although I’d add I’m glad kids outdoor sports has been added to March 8th

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its released, all the news pieces cite UK Gov as source.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I am hoping when we start to lift, they seriously look at not publishing details of cases etc daily.

It's a good point, and I think there needs to be an open conversation about what to do with case data. Up to now it's been relatively straightforward; total cases translate to a fairly consistent number of hospitalisations and subsequently deaths. They are also largely identifiable through the symptoms which manifest in people.

Those things won't be true going forward, so we're going to have to find new ways to keep an accurate account of the virus' prevalence and think differently about what we do with that data, because the meaning will have changed significantly. Case numbers will not become irrelevant, but they will have a very different role in the narrative going forward.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's a good point, and I think there needs to be an open conversation about what to do with case data. Up to now it's been relatively straightforward; total cases translate to a fairly consistent number of hospitalisations and subsequently deaths. They are also largely identifiable through the symptoms which manifest in people.

Those things won't be true going forward, so we're going to have to find new ways to keep an accurate account of the virus' prevalence and think differently about what we do with that data, because the meaning will have changed significantly. Case numbers will not become irrelevant, but they will have a very different role in the narrative going forward.

...and not used as a daily ‘weapon’.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Its also mindset thing, get people moving away from checking it everyday - If people really want to check it daily they can still get the data.

If the Vaccine works as we all hope cases wont really matter if deaths and people in hospital remains in the acceptable level.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
So over 60’s equate for 93% of coronavirus deaths, if the vaccine does work to the % they are saying (85-95% efficacy) we will have reduced deaths at around the middle of next month by circa 80% (assuming 3/4 weeks to build immunity from jabs) and that’s WITHOUT the fact that 25% of people tested positive for antibodies before the vaccine came in in December, it’s a huge % of the population who will be immune and yet we are facing another 3/4 months before hospitality can open or 2 months before someone can get a HAIR CUT?

Please tell me how anyone can explain that logically and even then it will still require the same SD, masks and measures as last summer?

I’m really worried we are entering a world where the government can say we are allowed to meet up with one other household in a park and actually think we are being ‘given’ a freedom back, it’s disturbing. The goalposts have been moved so many times, everything was pinned on the vaccine which has gone stunningly well, yet we find ourselves MILES behind other countries freedom wise, most european countries didn’t close schools and we find ourselves at least another 2 months until our freedoms MIGHT match Italy, France etc

I’m truly hoping this is a case of promise little and over deliver, as I’ve reached the end of my tether.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I hope the 3-4 months for a haircut or for pubs and shops to open isn’t the case.

I’ll be bloody fuming if it’s true.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So over 60’s equate for 93% of coronavirus deaths, if the vaccine does work to the % they are saying (85-95% efficacy) we will have reduced deaths at around the middle of next month by circa 80% (assuming 3/4 weeks to build immunity from jabs) and that’s WITHOUT the fact that 25% of people tested positive for antibodies before the vaccine came in in December, it’s a huge % of the population who will be immune and yet we are facing another 3/4 months before hospitality can open or 2 months before someone can get a HAIR CUT?

Please tell me how anyone can explain that logically and even then it will still require the same SD, masks and measures as last summer?

I’m really worried we are entering a world where the government can say we are allowed to meet up with one other household in a park and actually think we are being ‘given’ a freedom back, it’s disturbing. The goalposts have been moved so many times, everything was pinned on the vaccine which has gone stunningly well, yet we find ourselves MILES behind other countries freedom wise, most european countries didn’t close schools and we find ourselves at least another 2 months until our freedoms MIGHT match Italy, France etc

I’m truly hoping this is a case of promise little and over deliver, as I’ve reached the end of my tether.

Italy and France are both showing signs of increasing infections, and their hospitals are also under pressure. We're winning this fight at the moment, lets not throw away all that hard work by repeating past mistakes and letting things reopen too quickly, otherwise we'll be back in retreat very quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here