Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road trip USA

Arong692

Oct 2, 2008
Just wondering if anyone on here has ever done a road trip across the usa? Im really interested in doing it but really dont know where to start with preparations and everything. Any ideas of the costs involved aswell?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
If you're thinking of SW USA at any point then I recommend the triangle that is LA-Vegas-Phoenix. All great cities and all roughly 5 hours apart (if done in correct route). In close proximity you can also tick off Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Not across but I did do one from Florida to Boston up the east coast. Absolutely amazing and I would definitely recommend it.

Basically other than a car, the cost is what you want to spend. You can find cheap motels which'll cost maybe $50 a night up to 5 star hotels which, in big cities will cost several hundred. For a nice hotel you're looking at $100 to $150 a night but you'll find much cheaper if you want to. There's plenty that'll work for most budgets and the prices just go up in the most populated or touristy areas.

It's a similar thing on nights out really. You can get a meal in most bars for less than $10 but can end up paying a lot more in a restaurant. Don't be put off by european expectations that if you go into a restaurant you have to have a three course meal. You don't. You can go into more or less any restaurant and eat whatever you want as they welcome the business. So you can still enjoy good restaurants on a budget.

As for where to go, the choices are endless. Although I was restricted by work I would take as long as you can to do it. I know there are others on this board who've done trips so would leave suggestions about where to go (if you're going across) to them.

There'll be loads on the internet. But travel visas last 3 months here so you'll be fine with that and as for car hire, I think Thrifty are quite cheap but am not that sure to be honest. If you're in the US for a while you might be best off buying an old banger.

Good luck!

BHAboi

Jan 26, 2009
BHA
i well want to drive from east coast to west coast when i finish uni, has eny one done this and how long did it take and cost e.c.t.?

cheers

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm doing this this summer. Was originally planning to drive down from Vancouver to L.A stopping off at all points inbetween. Unfortunately I've only got two weeks so have had to considerably downsize. The plan now is to do L.A-San Fransisco-Vegas. That should be more than enough for two weeks-going to do a days paragliding over malibu-only 180dollars!(http://www.uptimal.com/Uptimal/Rides_%26_lessons.html), a three in one tour of the grand canyon(plane, helicopter and boat Las Vegas based air tour team of the Grand Canyon Tour Company welcomes you) plus various other stuff.

As for preparations I think you only need to work out a basic itinery and then just buy a plane ticket. Everything else you can work out when you're over there. Easy!

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I did one back in 2006 - Phoenix - la - San Fran - yosemite - Vegas - Phoenix - great cities , great sights and the coast road from la to San Fran is the best drive I've ever done

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Done it a couple of times. Not sure how long you have.

Northern Route - Boston, Cape Cod, Vermont, Upstate NY, Chicago, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Seattle

Central Route - New York, Phlly, DC, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, Dallas, New Mexico, Las Vegas, LA, San Fran

Southern Route - Miami, Orlando, Mobile, New Orleans, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, Phoenix, Los Angeles.

Take a month if you can. Find a cheap car on CarRentals.com, stay in good budget hotels (Hotels.com) and go with a friend!!!!! Driving is boring. Radio sucks, so see if you can get SiriusXM (Football Stations, BBC) and buy a SatNav System.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Back in the 80's I did New York to Los Angeles and back via 2 different routes and it was a brilliant experience, there is so much diversity. I travelled by Greyhound bus with a 3 week ticket and slept on the bus several nights to cut costs. It really depends how you want to do it and what you want to see the country is so diverse and different and you cant comprehend the size, we traveled for hours across Texas and saw no life at all. I find money can disappear too easily in the States you just seem to spend it no matter how much you try. Check out the trains, buses, planes and car delivery options ( you can take a car from one destination to another for no charge as you are delivering it) and get an idea of the cheap motels then plan the travel between stops. Don't discount stopping off at some of the less well know locations I found Arkansas and Arizona amazing places but Memphis was crap

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
Do it over a couple of days... Good place for a stop over is Big Sur about halfway down...

My tip for your roadtrip if around the Grand Canyon area is to nip up into south western Utah for Monument Valley and Bryce Canyon... Both pretty surreal places!

Monument Valley:
Monument_vlly_sand_800_1.jpg

utah-monument-valley.jpg

Bryce Canyon:
Bryce%20Canyon.jpg

06Wall_Street_Bryce_Canyon.jpg

2774162182_e3b0d09e4e.jpg

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Did the New York to San Francisco trip about 10 years ago. You'll need to allow at least 4 weeks if you want to take in the sights. It's a fair old distance and you'll want to stop off quite a bit just to take it all in cos there are some fantastic places to visit and you'll get a great welcome pretty much everywhere you go.

Just 2 places to avoid if you can, Detroit (very dodgy) and Salt Lake City (very weird people).

Make sure you plan your route a bit before you go and it's definitely cheaper outside of the big towns and cities.

Must see places are Chicago, Yellowstone National Park, and, if you can get there, Monument Valley.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Oh, nearly forgot,and Boston is just fantastic.
Really good local transport so you can stay in a cheaper place outside the city and just hop on the T-line trains for a dollar which take you right into the city centre.

:cool:

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Do it over a couple of days... Good place for a stop over is Big Sur about halfway down...

My tip for your roadtrip if around the Grand Canyon area is to nip up into south western Utah for Monument Valley and Bryce Canyon... Both pretty surreal places!

Bryce Canyon - Try and get to one of the viewing points for sunrise if you can, absolutely stunning.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I heart America

Going back in May To Vegas and a mini road trip to La.

If you get the chance and have got the time do part of it via train, its a good laugh, I did it From Miami to Vancouver a few years ago with Toad.

Last Year I did a road trip from St Louis to Vegas via Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Cali, Arizona it was great.

Arong692

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks for all the help guys. Im certainly going to have a look into and see what comes up. Is there a age limit for hiring cars over there. Im only 20 so i think i might struggle?

Arong692

Oct 2, 2008
I do have a good ammount saved as i have planned to go traveling for a few years. If i will save me a good ammount of money waiting another couple then i will just wait around. I really dont fancy paying loads out on a hire car.

Get The lonley Planet USA book. Drove from Detroit down to Memphis across to Pryor Oklahoma where we played at the Rocklahoma Festival, then back up to Detroit. If you've got time stop off at some of the Cival War Cemeteries. Nashville is worth a visit. Them Southern Gals are sure dirty and many are waxers! When hiring a car make sure that you are covered to take it out of the state and take out insurance that covers the excess should you be involved in an RTA. Plenty of good cheap motels, cheap food, cheap beer and cheap fuel. You will be asked many times if you know The Queen.
Have fun. The Yanks are pretty friendly but in some places a little thick due to inter breeding

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here