Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Seve

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
There's not many people that would bring a tear to my eye after their passing.

Seve is one of them.

RIP

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Just awoke to this very sad news. The term 'charismatic' isn't often synonymous with the game of golf, but Seve had it by the proverbial bucketful. What a great, great player & a remarkable person. Rest peacefully Mr B: & thank you for all those the wonderful memories.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I followed him around on the last round of the Volvo Masters at Wentworth around 15 years ago... he was whacking the ball left and right all over the place, anything but down the fairway! What a great entertainer, got to stand shoulder to shoulder with him and something I am proud of. You'll be missed Seve.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Seve was a true one-off - an absolute genius of a player. He taught himself how to play golf on a beach with a cut-down iron. This was not someone of great privilege.

Without him, the Ryder Cup would probably have faded into total obscurity. He got the other players to believe that they could compete with the Americans and was quite happy to get under the Americans' skins.

For those who have come on this thread to sneer about golfers, it would be quite nice if you kept your cynical thoughts to yourselves just for once.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Players like Tom Watson, who was a MACHINE, would reach the green in three straight down the fairway. Seve would also get there in three, usually via the trees and a bunker. He was such FUN to watch. RIP Seve.

lugsy

Sep 2, 2009
Gutted to hear he had passed away, I am that sort of age where I followed his carrer growing up from teens. He was the golfer who first got me interested in golf, he made it really exciting at time. Great character, R.I.P

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Most of his his prime was at a time where I was too young to remember but the bits I have seen only back-up what a legend he is. As an avid golfer, its clear to see what his presence in the game did to raise its popularity to what it is today.

Condolences to his family. Very sad news indeed.

pezza

Oct 26, 2010
seaford
He died last night will be missed had some good times watching him in the ryder cup in the 90's will be sadly missed in the golf world

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Seve: 'I look into their eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, but I'm thinking, 'I'm going to bury you'.

seve-thumb-400x300-155921.jpg

A great read - BBC - Iain Carter: We were privileged to have watched Seve

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Such a charismatic man that being a world class golfer was almost coincidental. Up there with Muhammed Ali and Pele as a sporting personality.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
On the rare occasion I play a decent shot, its "a Seve".
Probably the most popular foreign sportsman ever in the UK

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Very sad. He was one of my first sporting heroes. What a player, some of his shots were just unbelievable, and what a character. He made a quiet, and tired game for old people, something exciting for everyone. I can't believe as an 8 year old boy, I'd have been sat there transfixed by Jacklin, Gallagher and even Travino. But Seve .... yeah, I was watching the Open to see him play!

God bless.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Two Sporting Greats lost in the last few days.

I had the privalege of seeing Seve play twice at the East Sussex National. The first time was in a pro-am with Bobby Charlton, following them in a group of no more than 25-30. Could not have been more 'up close and personal' with two of my sporting idols. The second time was in the European Open. Sadly on both occasions, Seve was not quite the player he once was, but still played the game with a smile and managed to conjure up a few spectacular shots (including nearly holing out a fairway bunker shot from at least 150 yards!)

A gentleman who gave more than he took from a sport that gave him his living. RIP.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Well if music died when buddy holly passed away, golf has certainly died today. Think as others have posted, perhaps it is a blessing he has been released from the all his pain & suffering but the dignity and fight he gave his cancer is testimony to the man.

Seve, so famous you are, you are known without surname, you never needed any introduction but you leave a massive legacy. Thanks for the entertainment over the years.

RIP great man. :bowdown:

tangfastic

Nov 1, 2009
hove
There's not many people that would bring a tear to my eye after their passing.

Seve is one of them.

RIP

having dried my eyes...

http://youtu.be/30comFnFZOs

without a doubt the greatest sporting moment i have ever witnessed. i was 10 years old, standing on a bucket next to the 18th green. i grew up in st.andrews and seve was my hero. i remember it like it was yesterday, hoping that tom watson, playing in the group behind seve would make a bogey on the seventeenth. and then hearing the news that watson had gone over the road on the road hole. and a few moments later, watching seve sink his putt after it hovered for a spit second on the edge of the hole. RIP seve. and thank you for one of my most treasured memories.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
People bang on about sporting role models for their kids.

Look no further than Seve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here