[Football] RIP Ceefax October 2012

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
10 years ago this week it left us for the final time.

Older NSC'ers will remember in the days before social media it was an oasis of information, with constant updates throughout the day, Page 312, general football news (y)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I actually had a meeting with an app developer a while back about creating a Teletext football scores app... was a bit pricey so didn't follow it up.

I'd use one!
What was the point ? There are already loads of apps which give out live football scores. Even better nowadays as you can set games up with alerts.

Last edited:

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
I actually had a meeting with an app developer a while back about creating a Teletext football scores app... was a bit pricey so didn't follow it up.

I'd use one!
BBC football page was 302 and ITV was 140. Remember many a Saturday flicking between Ceefax and Oracle watching the scores come in.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
What was the point ? There are already loads of apps which give out live football scores. Even better nowadays as you can set games up with alerts.
This really. I know people love a bit of nostalgia and ceefax was an important pre-cursor to what we have now but isn't the BBC Sport app just a much more useful and fit for purpose evolution of it? (at least for sports)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This really. I know people love a bit of nostalgia and ceefax was an important pre-cursor to what we have now but isn't the BBC Sport app just a much more useful and fit for purpose evolution of it? (at least for sports)
In the days before smartphones were commonplace, I used to have a pager on my belt with a little LCD dot matrix screen. I set it to goal updates and it would do a little buzz, then scroll the scoreline across the screen. I thought it was CUTTING EDGE at the time :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Looking forward to this beauty arriving...

Teletext-Tidings-Christmas-Jumper-Jim-ll-Paint-It.png

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I remember men standing outside TV rental shops in town from 4.30 on a Saturday watching the scores come in. Wives were on their own in the shops for a while
I was one of them!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But what about the Vidiprinter ? That was great.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
10 years ago this week it left us for the final time.

Older NSC'ers will remember in the days before social media it was an oasis of information, with constant updates throughout the day, Page 312, general football news (y)
I think older NSCers are also forgetful. Football was 302 !

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember watching the pages after the 1979 election and not knowing what 'Con Hold' and 'Lab Gain' meant. (although it was probably the other way round in that election).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I remember men standing outside TV rental shops in town from 4.30 on a Saturday watching the scores come in. Wives were on their own in the shops for a while
Yep, l was probably there, head pressed agianst the glass. If l wasn't at the Goldstone or Withdean of course.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think older NSCers are also forgetful. Football was 302 !
True, but that was the main menu with all the headlines. The 'general football news' – I think it was tagged 'News in Brief" – was 312.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports