Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Was the marginal offside the cross before the goal, or the one before that?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
After we benefitted against Sheff Utd it's a no, after we benefitted against Spurs it's a no and after we lost out to it today it's still a no. It's ruining the game. Hate it with a passion. Bin it now.

This. Whether it goes for or against us it is consistently crap. Making the game a farce.

The simple joy of spontaneously, going mental celebrating a goal has been taken away by doubts about the ball brushing an arm or an armpit being offside. It needs to go.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
From the photo I have seen the ball was a foot away from Mooy when the VAR still was taken so impossible to be offside when the ball was kicked.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I still support VAR for foul based decisions such as red cards and penalties.

The offside thing needs a serious look at. Today was ridiculous. His knuckle was offside.

Why is the upper body even counted towards offside decisions? Should be the feet surely - it's "foot"ball afterall.

This would at least make it more black and white - rather than including pinkies and quiffs in the decision.

I would exclude from VAR any part of the body that cannot legally be used by an outfield player (hence no advantage)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still support VAR for foul based decisions such as red cards and penalties.

The offside thing needs a serious look at. Today was ridiculous. His knuckle was offside.

Why is the upper body even counted towards offside decisions? Should be the feet surely - it's "foot"ball afterall.

This would at least make it more black and white - rather than including pinkies and quiffs in the decision.

But what's the alternative if it's not any part of the body? You are then bringing more human judgement into the equation in judging what part of the body should be counted, that won't solve arguments.

The current situation will chalk off a lot of goals that would have stood before but I don't see any way round this. We can't go back to offside goals deciding matches

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
From the original free kick his arm is slightly off side. Think it was 5-6 phases later we actually scored

I’m not sure you can be offside if it’s your arm, as you can’t score with that part of the body, to me it looked like he had dropped his shoulder (ready to make the run), you can score with your shoulder so it was called offside...

It’s crap though isn’t it. I wouldn’t care who scored or for whom, this is a pile of shit... it’s a steaming turd that wants wiping off the face (arse) of football...

Goal line technology, now that would be a different matter altogether!

The position of the feet.

It would largely take away the need for digital lines in a 3D environment, when you could determine the offside simply by whose foot is in front.

Including arms in the decision is just mental, which also puts taller players at a disadvantage, yet whoever's arm is in front offers no advantage towards the play whatsoever.

But what if he used part of the body that wasn't feet and scored? Huge row.

It's endless really and I can understand why they have gone for a measure that requires no human judgement poring over parts of body

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But what's the alternative if it's not any part of the body? You are then bringing more human judgement into the equation in judging what part of the body should be counted, that won't solve arguments.

The current situation will chalk off a lot of goals that would have stood before but I don't see any way round this. We can't go back to offside goals deciding matches
Football was better when we did.

Or if we have to keep this monstrosity, then what about the ref gets one more look from a pitch side monitor. If he can't see a blatant offside after the first view, get on with it

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

It's not any part of the body. It's any part of the body you can score with.

I'm in the it's currently shit camp. That decision today was ridiculous. There are ridiculous decisions in every game. Some we get, some we don't but they're ruining the game. There's nothing clear about the decisions, they take far too long to be made and linesmen are not flagging thus forcing it to VAR.

If our goal today had stood do you honestly think any Bournemouth fans would have been up in arms? The same with the Villa goal disallowed against us and our penalty against Everton. These aren't 'clear and obvious' errors so let them be.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It’s pretty simple

It’s meant to be clear and obvious

Clear and obvious means you are looking at the picture without any lines and a time limit

If you can’t see it within 30 seconds without assistance it’s not clear and obvious.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Utter VAR buffoonery. Plucky had several chances to clear the ball after that free kick but stuffed it up. So after several phases have played out, its pulled back because Burns FOREARM (which he can't even score with) is deemed a fraction in front of the defender. And thats if you're buying that they've got the microsecond the ball was played spot on as well.

Its a scandalous call, quite possibly the rankest one of the season. VAR is actually getting worse and worse.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Utter VAR buffoonery. Plucky had several chances to clear the ball after that free kick but stuffed it up. So after several phases have played out, its pulled back because Burns FOREARM (which he can't even score with) is deemed a fraction in front of the defender. And thats if you're buying that they've got the microsecond the ball was played spot on as well.

Its a scandalous call, quite possibly the rankest one of the season. VAR is actually getting worse and worse.

Have you seen the one one in the palace game yet?

The worst is still the one given against sheff united at Spurs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It’s pretty simple

It’s meant to be clear and obvious

Clear and obvious means you are looking at the picture without any lines and a time limit

If you can’t see it within 30 seconds without assistance it’s not clear and obvious.

They've already decided offsides are not subject to the "clear and obvious" mantra that fouls are subject to. They want to make it a binary yes/no, hence the little lines. But it still doesn't always work properly, and never will under the current format, as we saw again today.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No not yet.

Yeah that Spurs one was pretty special wasn't it.

CA9E0A63-3200-431E-9839-0885B20AE25D.jpeg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They've already decided offsides are not subject to the "clear and obvious" mantra that fouls are subject to. They want to make it a binary yes/no, hence the little lines. But it still doesn't always work properly, and never will under the current format, as we saw again today.

I want someone at the FA/PL to come out and explain how Burn gained more of an advantage than an incorrectly given corner or a free kick from a dive which they don’t check.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
When I did my referee course when I was younger, they gave us the Laws of the Game book and said there’s one more Law which isn’t in there, and it is the most important, common sense .

I feel with VAR there is no common sense applied .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here