Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Retro Albion - Have your say for MK Dons

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
4-4 versus Orient at the height of the troubles. Scott McGleish disgracing himself, pitch invasion, someone having a go at Ray Wilkins in what looked like a junior school playground fight and some bloke climbing out of the North Stand and wandering behind the angry pitch invasion whilst rolling a fag. Some of the pitch invaders were shoved back into the NW corner at which point people started laying into them because they thought they were going to be the cause of further points deductions. Barry Hearn wanting us chucked out of the league.

This one came to my mind too. Just mad when those fans attacked McGleish, but even stranger was the 4th equalising goal. It was a Penslty I think and was 10minutes before it got taken after fighting amoungst the players. Ray Wilkins giving the West stand a nice 'wankers' sign as he left the pitch. Barry Hearn also later accused the Albion hierarchy of fiddling the crowd figures. There was some truth about it though. I was sure there was at least 15k inside the Goldstone that day and yet the crowd was named at about 9k. Might be too controversial for the Matchday program though.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I'll give you 2 other strange ones Walton & Hersham 0-4 during the 3 day week, a few days after the 8-2 game. The 1-0 victory at Forest when they were top of the league and we were bottom. Lawro back from injury and playing in midfield. Gerry Ryan scoring after 10 minutes and us playing 10 at the back for the next 80 minutes. I don't think we got out of our own half in the second half.

What a game 😀

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Votes for the Hereford game and the last game at the Goldstone here.

And seeing an earlier post about OGH in goal, reminded me of the time we played against someone (Southend? Gillingham?) at the Goldstone in the late 80s/early 90s, we were losing when they had their goalie sent off/injured, and one of their (not very tall) outfield players went in sticks.

From the euphoria of expecting to dole out a thrashing, to bemusement at barely being able to muster a shot on target for the entire second half, that was surreal. And we lost.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Strangest atmosphere I've experienced at an Albion game was a midweek game away at Stoke. It was that time there was a financial crisis (with Europe or the IMF or something of the kind) and the government tried to sort it by raising interest rates by quite a few percent. All sides of the ground were quiet as fans of both teams tried to work out how on earth they were going to pay their mortgage. A trip to Stoke is never much fun but that was a surreal atmosphere.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
A weird experience at withdean. We lost 1-3 to Leicester I think. I think it was an evening game. There was a sea fog. I was sitting in the wet stand on the goal line on the left. The Leicester fans were as usual behind the running track and the hammer pit. I could barely see them. I think it's possible that they might not have been able to see the goal at some points, let alone the half way line. When we let in the third goal, we started singing 3-1 to the Albion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Also mention of a snow game a few posts back that went ahead despite the guy being told it was off. I still can't believe to this day that our 1987/88 home game against Preston North End went ahead barely 48 hours after the great storm/hurricane/call it what you will. We couldn't get out of our village (Warnham, near Horsham) until the Sunday because of downed power lines. Who's crazy decision was that?

Played Poker with friends last night. We always start off with a game called Wits and Wagers where you ask a question that has a number as an answer. Everyone writes down a guess and then you have to bet on the most likely one. My question last night - because we are playing Preston today and the question needs to be topical - was what was the attendance at that game. It was actually 6042 which was incredible.

Not only is it still the single worst game of football I have ever seen in terms of quality, it is also the only time I have ever walked to a game through the smashed up remains of my school (I was at Hove Park Upper) chuckling at how long I thought it might take them to repair it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here