Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Retro Albion - Have your say for MK Dons

Dec 15, 2014
Here
My dad told me about a match between Norwich and the Albion on Christmas Day 1940. Obviously this was played during the war years. The Albion showed up with only 5 players. So they made up the rest of the side with Norwich reserve players and some participants from the fans in attendance. My dad was 15 years old at the time and the Albion deemed him too young to play. He remembered it as the day he "almost" played for the Albion. I'm not sure he would have been very proud of the result because the final was Norwich City 18 - 0 BHAFC.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Didn't we have to play in the other teams alternative kit once because of a clash of colours? Can't remember if that was us or not though.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Didn't we have to play in the other teams alternative kit once because of a clash of colours? Can't remember if that was us or not though.

Against Leicester (2008/09 I think) and Reading (1990s)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can we just add lots of references to otherwise mundane games versus WIMBLEDON just to p*ss them off?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Two Peruvian World Cup stars playing for Brighton in a secret match at greyhound stadium... but we've covered that one already, this season :)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Abion 3 Hull 0 - Steve Gritt's first home game in charge (I think.)

Gritt emerged to the most hostile reaction I've ever seen to a new Albion manager (he was an unknown and viewed as an Archer stooge)

90 minutes later all was forgotten.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Small, Codner and Wilkins scored a goal each in the same order in consecutive games. It was a case for Mulder and Scully.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Strangest feeling was against Hereford. When we were losing it didn't even feel like a football match, it felt like a sudden family bereavement.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
RE Papa Lazarou's mention of getting Wimbledon in there - which in turn reminded me of our 1985/86 home game v the Dons when a ball boy (and I've got his name stored in a file somewhere) ran onto the pitch during a passage of play and passed the ball to Dave Beasant. That's GOT to go in there.

Also mention of a snow game a few posts back that went ahead despite the guy being told it was off. I still can't believe to this day that our 1987/88 home game against Preston North End went ahead barely 48 hours after the great storm/hurricane/call it what you will. We couldn't get out of our village (Warnham, near Horsham) until the Sunday because of downed power lines. Who's crazy decision was that?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Playing the richest club in the world, at Withdean in the League Cup 2008, and winning on penalties, when our league games were dreadful.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The friendly at Crowborough in 2001, Kuipers up front and Gary Hart saving a penalty

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
RE Papa Lazarou's mention of getting Wimbledon in there - which in turn reminded me of our 1985/86 home game v the Dons when a ball boy (and I've got his name stored in a file somewhere) ran onto the pitch during a passage of play and passed the ball to Dave Beasant. That's GOT to go in there.

Also mention of a snow game a few posts back that went ahead despite the guy being told it was off. I still can't believe to this day that our 1987/88 home game against Preston North End went ahead barely 48 hours after the great storm/hurricane/call it what you will. We couldn't get out of our village (Warnham, near Horsham) until the Sunday because of downed power lines. Who's crazy decision was that?

Hi Spence :wave:

I was a ball-boy that day. The IDIOT you refer to is my younger brother.

Your recollection is a bit adrift. It was the opposition keeper (Dave Beasant). The ball was harmlessly rolling into their half, where they would have retieved it for comfortable possession. He wandered onto the pitch, thinking play had stopped, and kicked it to Beasant, resulting in the game restarting with a contested drop-ball just outside their box.

Beasant went mental at him.

After the game when DB had calmed down, he apologised, and offered him his gloves.

That ballboy was me and NO - I didn't get sacked . The the north stand did sing "sign him up" and "ballboy give us a wave" for a few weeks afterwards and everytime I ran across the pitch at half time

Keith cuss came round and said " don't do it again" ....pretty sure I wasn't going to !!!!!!!

Dave Beasant called me a stupid little c***

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Brighton 2-4 Stockport was very weird for a multitude of reasons. Very bemused atmosphere to a bizarre game.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Napier's Knee, you know what? That's so way too obvious that it hadn't even crossed my mind - and yet it should have done! An obvious suggestion, yes, but a great one. Thank you.

Yes, that should be up there without a shadow of a doubt.

I recall hearing about it in advance, but really not having the slightest inkling how it would pan out, or whether it would die a death and be filed in the noble-but-unsuccessful-causes bin.

On the day, I remember we were coming into Hove as usual via Mill Road, and as we got to the top of the hill by the Dyke Road Avenue roundabout, I saw a load of people standing by the roadside in Norwich City gear. Their car, or minibus, I forget which, had broken down and they were evidently waiting to be rescued. Then I started to see cars with loads of different football stickers: Charlton, Wimbledon, Pompey (NOT #twats on this occasion), Saints, Chelsea, West Ham, etc in the rear windows. It was a gloomy old day, that sticks in my mind for some reason, and it was properly foggy up the top there.

Then driving on down Woodland Drive towards the Goldstone, and seeing the unbelievable range of football shirts being worn. I recall there being loads of fans in Hove Park, wandering around and looking at bits of protest material posted around and about. The atmosphere of anticipation was at the same time quiet and respectful as the day's guests seemed to be taking it all in.

Inside the ground: a bigger crowd than we'd seen in years and that amazing feeling that perhaps we weren't alone after all, and that people outside of the Brighton & Hove Albion circle did care.

Always felt a little for Hartlepool that day, as they were, perhaps inevitably, swept away by it all, their hopes of three (much needed) points vanishing into the sea fog. That game gave us hope where previously we had none, and the crowds at the remaining home matches that season seemed to feed off the newly rediscovered enthusiasm for the fight.

I'm not sure any other subsequent Fans United events have ever even come close to what we achieved with that first one.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Yes. Leicester away- which was our own fault. We played in their change shirts.

Worse was Reading at home. The absolute spanners that ran their Noddy club at that point decided that a blue and yellow hooped change kit would be the perfect alternative to a blue and white hooped home kit. They turned up at the Goldstone with the blue and yellow one, whereby the referee objected to the colour clash with our own magnificent (well...probably not back then) blue and white stripes.

Rather than make Reading play in our change kit, however, the officials deemed it acceptable for us, as the home side, to wear our away kit.

We did, and lost :angry:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Winning 5-0 up at Halifax (RIP) where at one end, instead of the stepped concrete terracing and crush barriers found everywhere else, all The Shay had was this gigantic black cinder mound.

"Mound? We'd have killed for a mound.. " © Four Yorkshiremen, 1979

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here