Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2021

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Kitchen Table 2*, Charlotte Street, The Smoke (blud).

Long time readers of this thread will remember that the GLDHI and I have been following James Knappett and his wife, Sandia since long before he got his first star. We went back to celebrate me having sold the last company I ran after 6 months of hell with shareholders who all wanted different outcomes, a difficult buyer, and their lawyers from hell. Still, everyone eventually signed on the dotted line, and were equally unhappy so all's well...

Bubbledogs has now been taken away from the front room of Kitchen Table. That space is now a bar - in an attempt to land him a third star. The bar is very well done, but possibly rather too masculine in look and feel to appeal to all.

The food was, as ever, truly outstanding, though has now increased in price to £250pp. For that, you get 21 courses...

OYSTER
Oyster – orchard apple – salted gooseberry – jalapeno – oyster leaf

CHICKEN
Chicken skin – rosemary mascarpone – bacon jam

QUAIL
Quail egg – potato – black garlic – truffle balsamic – shallot – chervil

CELERIAC, TURNIP, KOHLRABI
Celeriac – pickles – meadowsweet honey; Tokyo Turnip – blackcurrant leaf – marigold; Kohlrabi – ponzu – fennel pollen – orange

PARKERHOUSE
Parkerhouse – cultured butter – wild garlic preserves – Maldon

CUCUMBER
Cucumber – estate dairy cream – dill – Exmoor caviar – borage – cucumber flowers

MACKEREL
BBQ mackerel – rhubarb – blue meat radish – seaweed – dashi – yoghurt – fennel oil – spruce

LOBSTER
Lobster – lobster sauce – courgette – coral oil – Meyer lemon

TROUT
Trout – foie gras – onion – spring onion – thyme – sherry vinegar – chives – trout roe

TRUFFLE
Australian black truffle & squash pasta – Scottish girolles – 36-month Parmesan sauce – black garlic – chestnut

POTATO
Jersey Royals – roast chicken sauce – smoked cream – extra virgin olive oil – Exmoor caviar

PIGEON
Squab pigeon – rose – liquorice – beetroot – burnt cream

BEEF
125-day aged Jersey beef – smoked bone marrow – beef steak mushroom – aubergine

BARON BIGOD
Baron Bigod – onion tart – white truffle maple – cobnuts

BEETROOT
Beetroot – sour cream – woodruff

BLACKBERRY
Blackberry – nori buttermilk – blackberry leaf – corn flowers – sorrel and shiso granita

FIG
Black fig – fig leaf – milk ice cream – black pepper meringue – charcoal

CEP
Cep macaron – 70% chocolate ganache

FUDGE
Fudge – sea salt – caramelised white chocolate

CANELE
Canelé – damson cheese

RASPBERRY TART
Raspberry – mascarpone – honey – bee pollen – croustade

James has the very good habit of listing and talking about his suppliers. We get our meat from his butcher and fish from his fishmonger - both are exceptional.

Sandia has built an astonishing collection of small grower champagnes - the best I've seen in London, including an exceptional still champagne (blanc de blanc). Mark-ups are in the 2x - range.

A solid 10/10 - for an occasional blow-out.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Any suggestions for a nice (celebratory) lunch in Chichester……within walking distance of the centre ideally.

Ahem, I have a brand new venture right by the city centre. It's called The Park Tavern, it is a pub but we do upmarket, hearty food like beef brisket or kedgeree plus there's a specials board on the go.

The website only has the Christmas menu on at the moment, but I think it gives you the idea. Come along and say hello if you like, we're only doing lunches and Friday nights at the moment, until we get more staff.

Apologies to mods if I'm overstepping any advertising rules, please remove if necessary!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
LPM Restaurant and Bar, Brook's Mews, Mayfair.

I was taken by one of the VCs who had invested in my previous company who wanted to thank me for making them some more money on its sale. They clearly have more money than sense.

It's a French joint. Buzzy, with a youngish crowd who mostly seemed rather 'gap yar'-ish.

The food was fine, but nothing more than fine. Portions were small, and generally in the £35-50 per main course range. I'd want a lot more food cooked with a lot more love for those prices. The wine list was very extensive (running to lots of DRC, other top burgundies, top Rhones, and a '45 Mouton) but ludicrously marked-up: 5-6x.

If someone else is paying 5/10; if you are: 2/10.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ahem, I have a brand new venture right by the city centre. It's called The Park Tavern, it is a pub but we do upmarket, hearty food like beef brisket or kedgeree plus there's a specials board on the go.

The website only has the Christmas menu on at the moment, but I think it gives you the idea. Come along and say hello if you like, we're only doing lunches and Friday nights at the moment, until we get more staff.

Apologies to mods if I'm overstepping any advertising rules, please remove if necessary!

Kedgeree and beef brisket you say?

That's more of a recommendation than an advert :thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
A mate of mine has eaten at the Istanbul branch and was also of the opinion that it was excellent. It seems like Mr. Bae has deviated from that somewhat though with the London enterprise. 50 quid for a cappuccino wrapped in gold :facepalm:

One of the only things that doesn't seem to have been touched by King Midas is the £11-a-pop cans of Red Bull. I'm not sure what's worse, the price or the fact that anyone's drinking an energy drink with their steak.

Arabs love red bull....wierd...!!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Long time readers of this thread will remember that the GLDHI and I have been following James Knappett and his wife, Sandia since long before he got his first star. We went back to celebrate me having sold the last company I ran after 6 months of hell with shareholders who all wanted different outcomes, a difficult buyer, and their lawyers from hell. Still, everyone eventually signed on the dotted line, and were equally unhappy so all's well...

Bubbledogs has now been taken away from the front room of Kitchen Table. That space is now a bar - in an attempt to land him a third star. The bar is very well done, but possibly rather too masculine in look and feel to appeal to all.

The food was, as ever, truly outstanding, though has now increased in price to £250pp. For that, you get 21 courses...

OYSTER

CHICKEN

QUAIL

Celeriac – pickles – meadowsweet honey; Tokyo Turnip – blackcurrant leaf – marigold; Kohlrabi – ponzu – fennel pollen – orange

PARKERHOUSE

CUCUMBER
Cucumber – estate dairy cream – dill – Exmoor caviar – borage – cucumber flowers

MACKEREL
BBQ mackerel – rhubarb – blue meat radish – seaweed – dashi – yoghurt – fennel oil – spruce

LOBSTER

TROUT
Trout – foie gras – onion – spring onion – thyme – sherry vinegar – chives – trout roe

TRUFFLE
Australian black truffle & squash pasta – Scottish girolles – 36-month Parmesan sauce – black garlic – chestnut

POTATO
Jersey Royals – roast chicken sauce – smoked cream – extra virgin olive oil – Exmoor caviar

PIGEON

BEEF

BARON BIGOD

BEETROOT

BLACKBERRY
Blackberry – nori buttermilk – blackberry leaf – corn flowers – sorrel and shiso granita

FIG

CEP

FUDGE

CANELE
Canelé – damson cheese

RASPBERRY TART

James has the very good habit of listing and talking about his suppliers. We get our meat from his butcher and fish from his fishmonger - both are exceptional.

Sandia has built an astonishing collection of small grower champagnes - the best I've seen in London, including an exceptional still champagne (blanc de blanc). Mark-ups are in the 2x - range.

what a load of old pipe , fennel pollen , marigold , exmoor caviar......prrrfft....:facepalm:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tried the Tonkotsu lunch menu the other day which seems good value until the food turns up and you get a reduced size ramen or hiyashi and side and you wonder were else you could have gone. It was bang average with a distinct lack of flavour (disclaimer is that we both ate veggie but still) but I did like the place itself and the service was friendly and efficient. Oh and we got another side and still left hungry. 5/10 even at a tenner for the set menu.

One of the other places you might, indeed should, go for noodles at lunch is Jia Mo right down on the seafront at the bottom of Ship Street. Authentic hand pulled noodle joint with very little choice (pork or beef basically with lamb sometimes). You'll hear the guy making the noodles as you wait for your food. Do not be tempted to have the roast pork bun for a starter as you won't be able to move after your noodles (though I personally have a 100% failure rate in this so far). Fantastic. 9/10 About 11 quid of a bowl of noodles. Highly recommended.

(think I might have reviewed Jia Mo before on here but what the hey)

Many thanks for this. I was avoiding Tonkotsu, having frequented the Soho branch a fair few times, and expecting such a review, but thanks for combining with a superior and close alternative :thumbsup:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Short in height, long blonde hair and ..... clumsy. Other than her it would have been her colleague who has an Irish / Australian accent and blue hair ! As you say though, fantastic place.

Definitely your daughter, we are booked in again in December, if she’s there I’ll say hello. She sorted out one of our starters that was ordered without mustard but came with it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

OYSTER

CHICKEN

QUAIL

PARKERHOUSE

CUCUMBER

MACKEREL

LOBSTER

TROUT

TRUFFLE

POTATO

PIGEON

BEEF

BARON BIGOD

BEETROOT

BLACKBERRY

FIG

CEP

FUDGE

CANELE
Canelé – damson cheese

RASPBERRY TART

I trust you didn't copy-and-paste that menu and its items :smile:
Sounds amazing

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As I seem to be the only person whos actually eaten at nusr on this thread I will repeat it's a great steak joint.... One of the better ones.

And I still stand by the point that if people are mug enough to pay the prices then you have to give respect to the guy.

It's like there is a subtle undertone to your postings about Nusr-Et dwayne, but I'm buggered if I can figure it out :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you reread what I wrote. The nusr in turkey is very cheap. Very very cheap.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

My mistake dwayne, I thought you said that you had eaten at the one in London. It sounds like that one is full of complete t**ts and not your sort of place at all :kiss:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
My mistake dwayne, I thought you said that you had eaten at the one in London. It sounds like that one is full of complete t**ts and not your sort of place at all :kiss:
Oh I will definitely be giving it a try darling [emoji3590]

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

And that's another point Jay makes subtly but definitely. A good meal needs a good atmosphere, ideally a warm one with a loved one, some good friends or both. Not being strapped into a chair for an hour with whoever's got the Company Credit Card while you watch Arabs with more money than sense gargling with Red Bull.

Jul 7, 2003

Good luck with that - nice location.

Will pop in for lunch next time we are over that way.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Dolce Caffe & Restaurant - Rickmansworth.

My mum used to go out for dinner on her wedding anniversary (today) with my father. They did that for 59 years, until he died in 2015. Since then, I’ve taken up the mantle, supported by the ever-patient and loving GLDHI.

My mum has simple and undemanding food requirements. Except for fish and chips; she’s as picky for that as I am for all dining-out experiences, yet cannot understand why I’m picky about, say, Thai, no matter how often I say “I feel the same way about all restaurants as you do about a chippy”. “Yes, dear, but why do you care about the quality of the rice?”. “Because the quality of the rice is as important as the quality of the batter”. “Yes, I see. But why do you care?”

And on, and on. And f***king on..

She likes Italian. By that, I mean she likes English Italian, which, as we all know, isn’t Italian at all. “How about Locanda Locatelli? We could start with Ribolita.” “No dear, I fancy Italian”.

So we book Dolce Caffe in Rickmansworth - an ‘Italian’ restaurant, which happens to be the #1 restaurant (ex 46) in that town. When I say ‘we’, I use it it royally. A more accurate description would be to be to say ‘the GLDHI booked…’

It’s fish night, with a specials board dominated by, err, fish.

Mum says that she wants to eat moules mariniere, followed by grilled plaice and chips. “Very Italian”, I mutter. “Yes.”, she says.

I have sardines and sea bass. The GLDHI has Nduja bruschetta and sea bream.

I order a bottle of Italian wine: Picpoul.

The bread comes. Lightly grilled Sainsbury white sliced. I f***ing kid you not. “Kin hell”, I whisper loud enough for the neighbouring tables in Uxbridge to hear.

Bad as it is, they still have wine glasses that are better than those presented by some Michelin 1* joints policed by bouncers I could name [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION].

I sink lower into my seat.

My sardines arrive. Hello, they look pretty good. They were. As was the bruschetta - very spicy nduja on proper ciabatta. Mum’s starter comes accompanied by chips. “I wasn’t expecting chips with a starter” I say to the waitress. She shrugs in an offhand way.

The main courses arrive. My sea bass was ever so slightly over cooked but really tasty, but the GLDHI’s sea bream was perfect. The “skinny fries” had let themselves down a bit and put on quite a bit of weight. The sautéed mushrooms and French (read ‘Italian’) beans with parmesan shavings were fine.

There’s little point recording my mum’s reaction to the food. Anything better than deep fried dog shit is ‘delicious’. For the record, her food was ‘delicious’.

The picpoul turned out to be French.

It was a strange experience. The sardines were damn near perfect, the bass was very good, the sea bream was actually perfect. The veg was ok. The bread was a f***ing joke.

Would I go back? Yeah, maybe. But only the next time my mother wants Italian moules mariniere.

Next up - Sushi Tetsu.

Edit: the music? A mixture of Munich beer hall and up beat French accordion. Awful stuff. The saving grace being that it stopped for an hour before the staff turned the tape over. I silently wept when they remembered. The seating location? On the street under a permanent plastic wrap around awning heated by two space heaters. Warm enough except when the sliding door to the outside was opened (and occasionally left open) by punters, and staff members popping out empty handed and returning two minutes later with something in a Sainsbury carrier bag. Bread, I assume.

As I said, a strange experience.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No Tolstoy here, I know (most of) my limitations.
I had a little moan about post-Roy and Audrey(?) Bardsleys on the only occasion I went there. Well, we went again, and it turns out I was wrong (or they've upped their game). It's not cheap (£13.65 for medium haddock and chips; £14.95 for a large -- which wasn't massive), but it just hit the spot. The batter would impress^, but it was the haddock that wowed me, just delightful. Chips very good too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here