Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2021

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Middle Eastern culture is obsessed with gold. Again that's their culture. Majority of people that eat at nusr aren't white English !!!

And the majority of the menu is gold free .....

As I seem to be the only person whos actually eaten at nusr on this thread I will repeat it's a great steak joint.... One of the better ones. In.london though I would probably rather eat at cut or Goodman though and save my money.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

There's plenty of 'white English' with way too much money willing to waste too much of their money on sub-standard food. I suspect the city boy Rayner mentions in the article might just be one of them.
What's being reviewed is the London outpost, not the one in Turkey. The fact that the Turkey one is good, doesn't make the one in London good. If the owner/chef knows the first thing about food, he wouldn't be wrapping it in gold leaf. I suspect he does know about food and, given he's serving this, he's taking the p!ss out of his customers. That might be fine, but it doesn't stop it being a travesty to food.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Have you ever been?

The service at salt bae is excellent. When I went in turkey they couldn't do enough to help out. They take pride in where they source their meat and for me it's up there with a Peter luger or Keens (bear in mind I've eaten in these places as well). The wagyu is superb.

Haven’t you kind of proven the point? I to used to eat very regularly at Goodmans, done Keens in NY a few times, some of the trendier ones like BLT Prime when it was good - and there you’ll pay £60-£150 for a very good steak. Which is no where near the prices those jokers are charging.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Haven’t you kind of proven the point? I to used to eat very regularly at Goodmans, done Keens in NY a few times, some of the trendier ones like BLT Prime when it was good - and there you’ll pay £60-£150 for a very good steak. Which is no where near the prices those jokers are charging.
But my original point wasn't about nusr being a rip off (it is in London). I just didn't like the sneery article from Raynor. And the disrespect he showed by setting up a table and chair outside eating a kebab. He could have at least tried the restaurant first.

And I still stand by the point that if people are mug enough to pay the prices then you have to give respect to the guy. Simple business/economics if you have a full restaurant every night it's quite possible you're not overcharging you're just a bloody good business man.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went to the Witchez yesterday with a few friends who raved about it.
What an experience, quirky does not do it justice. Silent black and white film in background, small intimate dining area and the host explaining the meals in detail was both amazing and funny. Polish influences throughout. Excellent wine.
My friend is trying a different dish each times he books. I had the herring starter and beef stew as a main. Main courses are very large so go hungry or ask for a doggie bag.
We booked again before we left. Best restaurant I’ve been to in Brighton.
https://thewitchez.co.uk/menu/

I hope you tipped well .... Miss WS works there. Even before she did one of my favourite restaurants. My advice .... always go starving .... the potions are huge !

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Went to the Witchez yesterday with a few friends who raved about it.
What an experience, quirky does not do it justice. Silent black and white film in background, small intimate dining area and the host explaining the meals in detail was both amazing and funny. Polish influences throughout. Excellent wine.
My friend is trying a different dish each times he books. I had the herring starter and beef stew as a main. Main courses are very large so go hungry or ask for a doggie bag.
We booked again before we left. Best restaurant I’ve been to in Brighton.
https://thewitchez.co.uk/menu/

That looks superb, thanks for sharing

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Went to Whistable last week for a foodie weekend. Even drove through Faversham and thought maybe I should lookup [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION]

So first of all ( and all these reviews are short ) :

Wheelers - great fish place ( no pun intended ). Starters of oysters - what else to have in Whistable ! Followed by the best crab cake I've ever had. Main was a fillet of hake and was perfectly cooked. And then a vanilla panacotta with a doughnut which was great. Slightly expensive at £92 for two - 9/10 ( also it's a BYO place which is good ).

Next Birdies :

A 'basic' place but good food. Deep fired brie of me which was OK but Mrs WS loved her giant garlic prawns. I then had lamb with garlic green beans and dauphine potatoes which was very good. Mrs WS had the lobster with mussels - apparently equally as good. 8/10

Finally, and just for [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] ..... The Sportsman !

Menu has been reduced from the 9 / 13 course taster menu to a 5 course choice menu. Pluses - you get to choose what you eat, minuses - I rather like taster menus because you get everything and sometimes get to try stuff you have never had. Sadly quality has gone down a bit. Good bits were the snacks, the bread course ( the sour bread was the best I've ever had ) and the sea bass. Mrs WS had the pumpkin soup which she said was fantastic. I had lamb which was cooked in a water bath - something I hate but the menu doesn't mention this - just chuck it in a bloody frying pan. Fat was completely un-rendered. Raspberry soufflés were great though. Some dishes were very over salted. All in all, given the previous quality, a disappointment. 6/10.

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I hope you tipped well .... Miss WS works there. Even before she did one of my favourite restaurants. My advice .... always go starving .... the potions are huge !

We were served by a younger waitress who was delightful, the owner said she only employs staff who understand the vibe of the place, I can’t wait to go back.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
We were served by a younger waitress who was delightful, the owner said she only employs staff who understand the vibe of the place, I can’t wait to go back.

Short in height, long blonde hair and ..... clumsy. Other than her it would have been her colleague who has an Irish / Australian accent and blue hair ! As you say though, fantastic place.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Any suggestions for a nice (celebratory) lunch in Chichester……within walking distance of the centre ideally.

Chichester is really limited when it comes to nice restaurants, most of the best places are a few miles outside. In Chichester itself the only "fine dining" option is Purchases. I haven't eaten there as the menu looks a bit of a mish-mash with assorted foams, gels and emulsions but it gets very good reviews and is certainly the poshest.

Another option is the Pallant Gallery Cafe which is a bit more of a restaurant than a greasy spoon. A place for a nice light lunch after looking at a bit of art rather than a celebration.

After that you are down to a couple of reasonable Tapas places and things like Brasserie Blanc and Giggling Squid.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Chichester is really limited when it comes to nice restaurants, most of the best places are a few miles outside. In Chichester itself the only "fine dining" option is Purchases. I haven't eaten there as the menu looks a bit of a mish-mash with assorted foams, gels and emulsions but it gets very good reviews and is certainly the poshest.

Another option is the Pallant Gallery Cafe which is a bit more of a restaurant than a greasy spoon. A place for a nice light lunch after looking at a bit of art rather than a celebration.

After that you are down to a couple of reasonable Tapas places and things like Brasserie Blanc and Giggling Squid.

Cool thanks…….might drive further afield then !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Went to Whistable last week for a foodie weekend. Even drove through Faversham and thought maybe I should lookup [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION]

So first of all ( and all these reviews are short ) :

Wheelers - great fish place ( no pun intended ). Starters of oysters - what else to have in Whistable ! Followed by the best crab cake I've ever had. Main was a fillet of hake and was perfectly cooked. And then a vanilla panacotta with a doughnut which was great. Slightly expensive at £92 for two - 9/10 ( also it's a BYO place which is good ).

Next Birdies :

A 'basic' place but good food. Deep fired brie of me which was OK but Mrs WS loved her giant garlic prawns. I then had lamb with garlic green beans and dauphine potatoes which was very good. Mrs WS had the lobster with mussels - apparently equally as good. 8/10

Finally, and just for [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] ..... The Sportsman !

Menu has been reduced from the 9 / 13 course taster menu to a 5 course choice menu. Pluses - you get to choose what you eat, minuses - I rather like taster menus because you get everything and sometimes get to try stuff you have never had. Sadly quality has gone down a bit. Good bits were the snacks, the bread course ( the sour bread was the best I've ever had ) and the sea bass. Mrs WS had the pumpkin soup which she said was fantastic. I had lamb which was cooked in a water bath - something I hate but the menu doesn't mention this - just chuck it in a bloody frying pan. Fat was completely un-rendered. Raspberry soufflés were great though. Some dishes were very over salted. All in all, given the previous quality, a disappointment. 6/10.

May I ask how long in advance you booked the Sportsman? I keep meaning to pop down but I am averse to booking long in advance for anything.

Did you walk the 50 yards to the shore? Seasalter is amazing - the warmest water for swimming at high tide (even in October) and miles to walk when the tide's out.

Out latest discovery is the Goods Shed (market) in Canterbury. The bacon and sausages are nitrite-free, and the fish counter is stocked daily by the man who runs it, who catches half the fish himself and trades the rest from among other local fishermen. It is the best fish I have ever eaten :love:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
May I ask how long in advance you booked the Sportsman? I keep meaning to pop down but I am averse to booking long in advance for anything.

Did you walk the 50 yards to the shore? Seasalter is amazing - the warmest water for swimming at high tide (even in October) and miles to walk when the tide's out.

Out latest discovery is the Goods Shed (market) in Canterbury. The bacon and sausages are nitrite-free, and the fish counter is stocked daily by the man who runs it, who catches half the fish himself and trades the rest from among other local fishermen. It is the best fish I have ever eaten :love:

This time ( we've been before ) we booked in August .... BUT .... neither of us working at the moment ( long story not for this thread ) so we said we'd take any date in October regardless. They had one space due to a cancellation. Despite my review I highly recommend the place and apparently they may be bringing back the taster menu in the new year .... maybe hang back for now ? Seasalter is indeed a great place - so much so Mrs WS brought a painting of it last time we were last in Whistable Harbour and it's hung on our sitting room wall. Wonderful part of the country .... very envious of how close you are.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This time ( we've been before ) we booked in August .... BUT .... neither of us working at the moment ( long story not for this thread ) so we said we'd take any date in October regardless. They had one space due to a cancellation. Despite my review I highly recommend the place and apparently they may be bringing back the taster menu in the new year .... maybe hang back for now ? Seasalter is indeed a great place - so much so Mrs WS brought a painting of it last time we were last in Whistable Harbour and it's hung on our sitting room wall. Wonderful part of the country .... very envious of how close you are.

I see. That sounds like a good plan. May give it a go....

Yes it is quite amazing here - low population density, lots of beaches, lots of accessible woodland for walking and cycling, numerous hidden gems where it's possible to go for walks and see nobody (which suits me very well :wink:).

:thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tried the Tonkotsu lunch menu the other day which seems good value until the food turns up and you get a reduced size ramen or hiyashi and side and you wonder were else you could have gone. It was bang average with a distinct lack of flavour (disclaimer is that we both ate veggie but still) but I did like the place itself and the service was friendly and efficient. Oh and we got another side and still left hungry. 5/10 even at a tenner for the set menu.

One of the other places you might, indeed should, go for noodles at lunch is Jia Mo right down on the seafront at the bottom of Ship Street. Authentic hand pulled noodle joint with very little choice (pork or beef basically with lamb sometimes). You'll hear the guy making the noodles as you wait for your food. Do not be tempted to have the roast pork bun for a starter as you won't be able to move after your noodles (though I personally have a 100% failure rate in this so far). Fantastic. 9/10 About 11 quid of a bowl of noodles. Highly recommended.

(think I might have reviewed Jia Mo before on here but what the hey)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Tried the Tonkotsu lunch menu the other day which seems good value until the food turns up and you get a reduced size ramen or hiyashi and side and you wonder were else you could have gone. It was bang average with a distinct lack of flavour (disclaimer is that we both ate veggie but still) but I did like the place itself and the service was friendly and efficient. Oh and we got another side and still left hungry. 5/10 even at a tenner for the set menu.

One of the other places you might, indeed should, go for noodles at lunch is Jia Mo right down on the seafront at the bottom of Ship Street. Authentic hand pulled noodle joint with very little choice (pork or beef basically with lamb sometimes). You'll hear the guy making the noodles as you wait for your food. Do not be tempted to have the roast pork bun for a starter as you won't be able to move after your noodles (though I personally have a 100% failure rate in this so far). Fantastic. 9/10 About 11 quid of a bowl of noodles. Highly recommended.

(think I might have reviewed Jia Mo before on here but what the hey)

There is a theme of London restaurants opening up underwhelming restaurants in Brighton.

I don't recall a review of Jia Mo, but it sounds like somewhere I would want to check out - cheers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here