Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Jamies Italian post match to celebrate, much better than anticipated.

Squid started very good and crab spaghetti very nice

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Another recommendation on the curry front, is actually a take away rather than a sit down, but the Balti Express is my favourite curry in Brighton. It literally makes my mouth start watering thinking about it. If you haven’t tried them and you like your curry I would say try it as soon as possible.

For take away try Curry Inn at seven dials. I thinks it's better than any of the sit down curries I've had in Brighton.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
For take away try Curry Inn at seven dials. I thinks it's better than any of the sit down curries I've had in Brighton.

Tried this lot out last night. Staff extremely friendly but wasn't impressed by the food at all, apart from the Sag paneer which was probbly the best I've had. Half of me thinks I chose wrong (rogan josh and inexplicably fancied a korma) but half of me thinks it just isn't very good. 5/10

Next on the list is Bhindis which people keep telling me about.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Went to 'Isaacs at' last night. It's certainly different, and hit some high notes, but lacked consistency. You have to pre-pay for your food (£45/head), turn up 19.00-19.20 and, beyond vege/pescetarian options, there's no choice. This provides the (very young) chefs the opportunity to announce each course -- of which there were about eight, if you include things like pre-starters, bread and sorbet.
The pre-starter was OK, and the next three courses were highly encouraging:
Carrots three ways, was a well executed dish, with good contrast of flavours and textures
Breads were very good: a treacle sourdough, and a shallot brioche
Stone bass, PSB, wilted coriander and lemon sauce was a simply brilliant dish and revealed just what the kitchen could do
Then came two disappointing courses:
Jacob's Ladder beef with parsley root and lettuce: the beef lacked flavour, it was either a poor cut, or poorly sourced, and all the more problematic as it was the nearest thing to a main course. A couple of weeks ago, I had flank steak with porcini at Polpo which showed them how it could be done.
Pear and bay leaf sorbet was just a bit meh.
The next two desserts/petit fours were an improvement:
Apple two ways with whisky ice cream was good, but lacked that wow factor
Lemon and almond drizzle cake was lovely, but there have been equally good variants in other similar restaurants

Overall, it's encouraging, but needs to iron things out. Think it's quite good value, and the concept pretty much works for me, but I'll be heading back to Set and 64 Degrees before I go back there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went to 'Isaacs at' last night. It's certainly different, and hit some high notes, but lacked consistency. You have to pre-pay for your food (£45/head), turn up 19.00-19.20 and, beyond vege/pescetarian options, there's no choice. This provides the (very young) chefs the opportunity to announce each course -- of which there were about eight, if you include things like pre-starters, bread and sorbet.
The pre-starter was OK, and the next three courses were highly encouraging:
Carrots three ways, was a well executed dish, with good contrast of flavours and textures
Breads were very good: a treacle sourdough, and a shallot brioche
Stone bass, PSB, wilted coriander and lemon sauce was a simply brilliant dish and revealed just what the kitchen could do
Then came two disappointing courses:
Jacob's Ladder beef with parsley root and lettuce: the beef lacked flavour, it was either a poor cut, or poorly sourced, and all the more problematic as it was the nearest thing to a main course. A couple of weeks ago, I had flank steak with porcini at Polpo which showed them how it could be done.
Pear and bay leaf sorbet was just a bit meh.
The next two desserts/petit fours were an improvement:
Apple two ways with whisky ice cream was good, but lacked that wow factor
Lemon and almond drizzle cake was lovely, but there have been equally good variants in other similar restaurants

Overall, it's encouraging, but needs to iron things out. Think it's quite good value, and the concept pretty much works for me, but I'll be heading back to Set and 64 Degrees before I go back there.

Three deserts is two too many at minimum. Personally I'd rather have two extra savory courses and a nibble of cheese.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wabi in Horsham today for a quick lunch. Very quiet but as good as it normally is. Well presented contemporary Japanese fare. Slightly downmarket Roka/Nobu etc. Went for deluxe bento box and sticks & sushi to share. Was plentiful, quite a bit of repetition - pork belly was used in 3 elements and the sushi / sashimi was the same in both.

Nether drank and came to £40 inc 12.5% optional service which to my mind is a bit much but didn't really want to remove it as service had been good.

Then visited Dark Stars pub the Anchor Tap to have a Keg pint of APA & a Beavertown Gamma Ray. Would recommend a visit

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Time for a bounce me thinks. I work round the corner from Bills and have now had breakfast there twice and takeaway bacon sandwiches twice ( each time I've given them the benefit of the doubt ). The breakfasts are pretty poorly cooked and not very good value for money. They are also bread laden - good way of padding it out !!!! Their bacon sandwiches are the worst I've ever had by a country mile. Stale bread ( and once again too thickly cut ), tight on the sauce and bacon so overcooked it shatters like glass ( and some instances could almost be called burnt ). 0/10 - far far better places all across the city for half the price.

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Hoping to go to Semolina on Saturday, I say hoping - we're first reserve pending a cancellation. Supposed to be very good - anyone been?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Time for a bounce me thinks. I work round the corner from Bills and have now had breakfast there twice and takeaway bacon sandwiches twice ( each time I've given them the benefit of the doubt ). The breakfasts are pretty poorly cooked and not very good value for money. They are also bread laden - good way of padding it out !!!! Their bacon sandwiches are the worst I've ever had by a country mile. Stale bread ( and once again too thickly cut ), tight on the sauce and bacon so overcooked it shatters like glass ( and some instances could almost be called burnt ). 0/10 - far far better places all across the city for half the price.

The restaurant/cafe went downhill around 5 or so years back when the original owner sold up. N.B referring to Brighton branch here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The best breakfast was Harry's English Restaurant' The Pile Up. The best bacon sandwich was from the cafe next to Hove Station and the car wash. Both now closed. I have had a number of disappointments in my life but being in Hove again, about a year ago, and setting my heart on a bacon sandwich and cup of tea at said cafe only to walk up to it and seei it is now a patisserie ranks highly.

Jul 7, 2003
Some friends and I ate at the Rights Of Man in Lewes on Wednesday night. Pub food in Lewes is pretty poor at the moment (with the exception of the Snowdrop) so nice to find somewhere good to eat there We had a selection of dishes from the lite bites, tapas and main course menus - all of which were very tasty, good portion size and reasonably priced.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hello everyone.

I need a recommendation for a cheap and cheerful meal this saturday. I've exhausted all the avenues I can think of.

Brighton/Hove area, ideally quite close to Hove Station (want a few pints of cider in the Watchmakers Arms first). GO!

(Currently thinking the Urchin)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here