Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just went to my local and had a lovely German porter with braised beef cheeks and mash. The perfect post-work end of week meal for winter time.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Polpo for lunch.

Pretty good value. The fried meatballs, milanese chicken and crab linguine were excellent as were the pizzeti. Also had baby octopus, soft shell crab and a whole bunch of nibbly things Came in at £60 for 2 with a drink each. I was full and happy.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I agree - definitely prefer the Raj, regardless of what their bogs are like.

Another recommendation on the curry front, is actually a take away rather than a sit down, but the Balti Express is my favourite curry in Brighton. It literally makes my mouth start watering thinking about it. If you haven’t tried them and you like your curry I would say try it as soon as possible.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Polpo for lunch.

Pretty good value. The fried meatballs, milanese chicken and crab linguine were excellent as were the pizzeti. Also had baby octopus, soft shell crab and a whole bunch of nibbly things Came in at £60 for 2 with a drink each. I was full and happy.

I went Tue evening in a party of six. We all left very impressed. The octopus was great value at £3, and the flank steak with porcini cream was an amazing (small) dish. There are some great salads there too. Tried a few other things that were good too. The only disappointment was a desert (blood orange, ricotta and honey) that was revolting. I told them as much, and were very apologetic and took it off the bill, also claiming that it had only recently been put on the menu. Despite that, I'll be going back: a really good mid- to upper-level, flexible addition to Brighton's restaurant scene.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Polpo for lunch.

How easy to get in, given that you can't book? I nightmare at weekends I spose.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Coal Shed 4 / 5

Went with a work party on Tuesday night. Had four sharing steaks and variety of sides. All who attended thought the steaks were fantastic. Only slight shock of the evening was receiving the bill. one of the Chateaubriand steaks alone was over £100! - Whilst good, if it this was my money I wouldn't spend so much.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How easy to get in, given that you can't book? I nightmare at weekends I spose.

We (six) turned up at 9 on a Tuesday, not having booked, and were seated immediately. There weren't too many other free tables at that stage though.

Two of us turned up at 8.30pm midweek and it was the last free table. Pot luck I guess. We did phone a few minutes before to check and had another place in reserve.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Another recommendation on the curry front, is actually a take away rather than a sit down, but the Balti Express is my favourite curry in Brighton. It literally makes my mouth start watering thinking about it. If you haven’t tried them and you like your curry I would say try it as soon as possible.

This - try the Chicken Kuduhary/kordori years ago i use to live in Springfield road - sit down curry Shahi, take away Balti express - both do the kudhary - the only other place i have found it is in Brisbane !

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
ICLA.PNGLatinoamerica, Hove Has this been on the 2015 thread ?

went saturday night - great steak plus black pudding and curizo starter

Calde also popped post Blackburn away !

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Moshimo last night for an early dinner to take advantage of the 50% off for members deal. Some really good mackerel sashimi and their tempura really is decent. Worst (i say worst, it was the least best) dish was the beef sashimi, though the meat is really good quality.

Service impeccable.

We had about 8 or 9 dishes and a really good bottle of sauvignon blanc for £55 all in (including tip). Best value in town. Would have been 75 without discount.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Busby & Wilds.

Well well well. New contender for best steak in town at Busby and Wilds. The whole meal was excellent in fact.

Started with pork croquettes with anchovy aioli and had the steak followed by a single scoop of chocolate ice cream. Couldn't fault any of it and will go as far to say as it's the best meal I've had in this town since I last went to Little Fish Market.

4 people with starters and mains, only one didn't have pudding, a bottle of really good wine and 6 beers (great selection) and 4 coffees came to 200 quid with service and it was worth every penny. It was a little quiet in there which was a surprise but it's a bit out of the way I guess. If this was in the town centre it would be full most evenings with the level of cooking. I demand you all go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thanks to Bozza recommendation just been to Dome Tea Rooms for brunch. Excellent value Eggs Benedict. Perfectly poached eggs, lots of decent ham & good amount of béchamel. Also £4.50 for an excellent Bloody Mary!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here