Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2015

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We were on a pretty strict budget and we frustratingly didn't get into a couple of places that I scouted out in advance - Bistrot Victories near The Louvre was the best of a fairly uninspiring bunch, good place for a quick cheap lunch. We ate a lot of simple French grub, lots of meat, the sort of stuff that it's hard to do wrong. We drunk plenty of red wine though.

My general impression was that France's racial diversity wasn't particuarly well reflected in the restaurants of Paris. It hit home to me that for all of the teeth grinding about integration we are a pretty multicultural nation.

Thanks. And yes, it may well be French food (and wine) has assisted in protecting chauvinism, in stark contrast to Britain's more open approach which, in turn, has had beneficial approaches to other cultures.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree with you that Troll's Pantry and Burger Brothers do the best burgers in town. You've also been to Paris of late. We're there for a few days in late July. Were there any restaurants/brasseries that you'd particularly recommend, or was it all about aural delights rather than gastronomy?

The Merry Prankster is yer man. He recommend some nice places for my bro.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So a nice lunch at La Tana in Patcham. Great food and HUGE portions .... highly recommended. Will be going back. 8/10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 388

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Went to the BBQ Shack at The World's End pub on Friday. The meal was pants. The ribs looked fine but were chewy and tough. Looked as if they were pre-cooked then heated up (microwave probably) - unforgivable, really. Sent them back and the barman/server suggested the 'top-notch' pulled pork. Again, it was poor quality, lukewarm and sent that back as well. Jay Rayner gave a positive review but this place has gone down hill since.

2015-04-10 13.41.44.jpg 2015-04-10 13.08.32.jpg

A couple of lasses I got speaking to suggested Smokey's on the seafront. Anyone been there?

Attachments

• 2015-04-10 13.31.27.jpg
    2015-04-10 13.31.27.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 366

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to the BBQ Shack at The World's End pub on Friday. The meal was pants. The ribs looked fine but were chewy and tough. Looked as if they were pre-cooked then heated up (microwave probably) - unforgivable, really. Sent them back and the barman/server suggested the 'top-notch' pulled pork. Again, it was poor quality, lukewarm and sent that back as well. Jay Rayner gave a positive review but this place has gone down hill since.

A couple of lasses I got speaking to suggested Smokey's on the seafront. Anyone been there?

The Jay Raynor review was 4 years ago and from my experience back then it was fantastic. Seems it has lost it's way which is a shame.

Jul 7, 2003
Went to The Hearth in Lewes on Thursday evening for a quick bite. Very good pizza with a fantastic sourdough base. The accompanying Romanian Pinot Noir was also surprisingly nice. Recommended to book though as very popular.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
L'Eglise last night for a mate's birthday. I'm pretty sure one of the new owners posts on here so hopefully will read what a fantastic night we had. Despite being quite well oiled due to pre-meal pub we were really looked after. There was just one guy front of house but he easily coped with a Saturday night service and was very informative and excellent fun. The food was fantastic. The menu has gone a lot more modern. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to French and the snails and onglet I had were very close to my mum's favourite bistro in Tours, only missing a wicker basket full of bread (that's a massive compliment). The others had the more modern lamb bon bons and a fish dish and it all seemed to get polished off. Highly recommended, unlike the hangover which needed an 8 mile run this morning to shift.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Been to a couple of places recently :

The Foragers - until now, one of my favourite places to eat in the city. This time some of the food was bland, the portions were small and some parts of the dishes bizarre. I had the pork with rosti. Well you got more stuffing than pork and the rosti had so much spice on it that it overpowered the pork. The other half's Tortellini was very small and as tasteless as old shoe leather. When I spoke to the 'Assistant Manager' she was uninterested about any feedback and said the assistant chef had recently become the new head chef and was trying to 'do something different' - well f**king well don't !!! Stick to what was working and working well. You've now lost two regulars and a booking you had from one of my Directors after I texted him how poor it was. 2/10 ( at a push ).

On the other hand, went to Cafe All'Angolo Friday evening. FAN ... bloody ... TASTIC ! Authentic Italian cooking in a small intimate setting. If you like the Anglosised version of pasta - i.e. pasta absolutely smoothed in sauce - then steer clear. But if you prefer the real Italian type stuff you get in, well, Italy, then try it. My carpaccio was the best I've ever had and the Chicken butterfly with mozzarella was huge and moist. The better half had pasta with broadbeans and bacon which was equally great. Donatellos it ain't ..... thankfully ! The waiter also made the evening with a great knowledge of the menu and great service. Highly recommend the place and will definately be going back ( it's opposite Days for those that want to try it ). 9/10.
[h=3][/h]

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Went to The Hearth in Lewes on Thursday evening for a quick bite. Very good pizza with a fantastic sourdough base. The accompanying Romanian Pinot Noir was also surprisingly nice. Recommended to book though as very popular.

Tried this place before the Bournemouth game. The pizza was far better than the football ! Basic restaurant above the bus station. Not just sour dough but a proper wood burning oven and decent bottled beer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The Salt Room last night, which I was ridiculously excited about. This place just shows how far the Brighton food scene has come, it was like being in a London restaurant only by the sea.

It's been done out in a style that's very contemporary. Very good service, excellent wine list and a menu choice where I could have picked almost anything and been happy. I had perfectly prepared raw beef underpinned with strong coriander and a perfectly cooked cod with octopus all finished off with chocolate mousse. Wife was very pleased with her salmon and halibut which again were perfectly cooked and presented. Very little hipster **** (a noteable absence of beards all round), though why they insist on serving desert on a board that's too small for it I will never know.

Is it pricey? Yes. Are the portions too small? Not for me because I wanted everything on every course but I wouldn't take a starving rugby team. Could it get Brighton a star? Yes, yes it could if the little imperfections are ironed out. Would I go back? Already planning it for our next big date.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The Salt Room last night, which I was ridiculously excited about. This place just shows how far the Brighton food scene has come, it was like being in a London restaurant only by the sea.

It's been done out in a style that's very contemporary. Very good service, excellent wine list and a menu choice where I could have picked almost anything and been happy. I had perfectly prepared raw beef underpinned with strong coriander and a perfectly cooked cod with octopus all finished off with chocolate mousse. Wife was very pleased with her salmon and halibut which again were perfectly cooked and presented. Very little hipster **** (a noteable absence of beards all round), though why they insist on serving desert on a board that's too small for it I will never know.

Is it pricey? Yes. Are the portions too small? Not for me because I wanted everything on every course but I wouldn't take a starving rugby team. Could it get Brighton a star? Yes, yes it could if the little imperfections are ironed out. Would I go back? Already planning it for our next big date.
Is this the sister restaurant to the coal shed?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me and the Frau ate at Tim Raue's flagship restaurant last night. He's an interesting character; former Kreuzberg gang member and now 2 starred Michelin chef. It's a story which has made him some fame here.

The food is French in technique but influenced by Japanese flavours and ingredients and he bans bread, noodles and any other stodge from his menus. It all lends itself to a creative but light, fresh, zingy, and perfectly cooked, dinner. Went for the chefs tasting menu. Quite a few highlights but the smoked pork chin and pike-perch were favourites.

The restaurant space follows the theme and is light, clean, airy and very relaxed; apart from the sommelier the staff wear a very relaxed uniforms of black trousers, t-shirts (polka dot blouses for the girls) and spotless white Converse and all have a breezy manner.

The only disappointment was the matched/paired wines; German restaurants are always top heavy with sweet choices.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thanks for this. Will give it a go on a Monday, when they charge £5 corkage.
A group of us went to The Gingerman in part following on from your recommendation. Overall, we were impressed. Technically, it was very good, and there were some excellent, grown-up flavour combinations. Some decent, interesting mid-priced wines too. My biggest problem was lack of consistency, however. There were certain things that appeared on our plates that we quite simply howlers: a smoked tomato that was disgusting; a 'blackcurrant and apple soufflé' without the fruit which tasted of an omelette (partnered with a delightful blackcurrant sorbet); and one dessert that just didn't work at all.
At £37 (c£42 with service) for three courses, not cheap either. It's one of Brighton's better restaurants (the couple we went with had been to 24 St Georges the night before, and were highly complementary in comparison), but my overall position is that I think 64 Degrees is more inventive and accomplished. But will go back to put this position to the test.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks for this. Will give it a go on a Monday, when they charge £5 corkage.
A group of us went to The Gingerman in part following on from your recommendation. Overall, we were impressed. Technically, it was very good, and there were some excellent, grown-up flavour combinations. Some decent, interesting mid-priced wines too. My biggest problem was lack of consistency, however. There were certain things that appeared on our plates that we quite simply howlers: a smoked tomato that was disgusting; a 'blackcurrant and apple soufflé' without the fruit which tasted of an omelette (partnered with a delightful blackcurrant sorbet); and one dessert that just didn't work at all.
At £37 (c£42 with service) for three courses, not cheap either. It's one of Brighton's better restaurants (the couple we went with had been to 24 St Georges the night before, and were highly complementary in comparison), but my overall position is that I think 64 Degrees is more inventive and accomplished. But will go back to put this position to the test.

I played poker last night with Sam who owns Sam's of Brighton and used to have the 7 Dials. We were discussing the Salt Room as I'd been and so had another one of our card school and we both rated it. However the Tripadvisor page contains mixed reviews to say the least. I mention this because Sam said that the head chef at The Salt Room used to work for the Gingerman group (I think at the Pig) and I do wonder if the odd dish will suffer in the same way as the ones you've mentioned there. Also interesting to note that both of us who'd been had a fish main course rather than a steak off the Josper grill.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Coincidentally John Hargate is the guest chef at the opening of The Bite Club, a summer foodie thing here in the Hauptstadt, which starts up again this Friday. I plan to go and I'll report back.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I played poker last night with Sam who owns Sam's of Brighton and used to have the 7 Dials. We were discussing the Salt Room as I'd been and so had another one of our card school and we both rated it. However the Tripadvisor page contains mixed reviews to say the least. I mention this because Sam said that the head chef at The Salt Room used to work for the Gingerman group (I think at the Pig) and I do wonder if the odd dish will suffer in the same way as the ones you've mentioned there. Also interesting to note that both of us who'd been had a fish main course rather than a steak off the Josper grill.

Will go to The Salt Room, on a Monday, and am intrigued by their steaks/grill. Will go back to the Gingerman too. Am going to St John for an extremely boozy lunch with friends that I haven't seen for a long time. Now, that's a good restaurant, and it has spawned a number of brilliant offshoots, e.g. Anchor &Hope, The Caxton Arms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here