Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2015

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounds great.
What's not to like - Shellfish AND Craft Beer !!
Looks like it's just around the corner from The Foragers.
Will definitely seek this place out when I'm over in July, thanks for the heads-up.

Shellfish and craft beer is a glorious combo.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Ginger Pig last night with the wife. Excellent food though I always find the atmosphere a bit stale and that they are in too much in a rush to turn tables. Lovely salmon rillettes with a very clever lemon powder to start and a perfectly cooked steak afterwards. Couple next to us provided excellent entertainment as they moaned about the prices the second the menus arrived, ordered well done steak (the most expensive thing on the menu) and then complained that the dripping chips were "too crispy". Do people really not do the most basic of research before they go out? It's like the internet had been uninvented or something.

Best thing of all was the cold chocolate fondant which sounds like a food crime until you realise that it was in no way a fondant but basically a ganache with cherries.

Still, only a 7/10. There may now be plenty of other gastro pubs that are just as good.

Off out to run it off now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jean-Georges (http://www.jean-georgesrestaurant.com) - A wonderful experience at the first three-starred place I've visited. It was lunch (as we had other evening plans) for a 40th birthday and a perfect venue for such an occasion. The service and overall attention to detail was quite extraordinary, matched by the food itself. As a veggie weirdo, the food I had is unlikely to be selected by many reading this, but the Goat Cheese Royale, whimsically presented like an ice cream sundae was fabulous - the depth of flavour outstanding. My main was 'off menu' and was a pasta dish featuring home-made (green) spaghetti and, believe it or not, brussels sprouts and cauliflower amongst other things. The arctic char with black winter truffle crumb, eaten at my table, also received rave reviews.

The Spotted Pig (http://www.thespottedpig.com) - [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] is a fan of this April Bloomfield gastro pub which received a star last year. There couldn't have been much more of a contrast with Jean-Georges as you are served by heavily-tattooed cool dudes in jeans, t-shirts and Vans. The renowned sheep's milk ricotta gnudi stole the show from a taste perspective - it was amazing. I need to learn how to make these little parcels of cheesy wonderfulness. The 'side order' of shoe-string fries provided some visual appeal and I'll confess there wasn't much left in the bowl when our table was cleared.

The Coney Island pilsner washed everything down nicely.

Spotted Pig shoestring fries.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Spotted Pig (http://www.thespottedpig.com) - [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] is a fan of this April Bloomfield gastro pub which received a star last year. There couldn't have been much more of a contrast with Jean-Georges as you are served by heavily-tattooed cool dudes in jeans, t-shirts and Vans. The renowned sheep's milk ricotta gnudi stole the show from a taste perspective - it was amazing. I need to learn how to make these little parcels of cheesy wonderfulness. The 'side order' of shoe-string fries provided some visual appeal and I'll confess there wasn't much left in the bowl when our table was cleared.

The Coney Island pilsner washed everything down nicely.

View attachment 63763

Glad you liked it :thumbsup:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Jean-Georges (http://www.jean-georgesrestaurant.com) - A wonderful experience at the first three-starred place I've visited. It was lunch (as we had other evening plans) for a 40th birthday and a perfect venue for such an occasion. The service and overall attention to detail was quite extraordinary, matched by the food itself. As a veggie weirdo, the food I had is unlikely to be selected by many reading this, but the Goat Cheese Royale, whimsically presented like an ice cream sundae was fabulous - the depth of flavour outstanding. My main was 'off menu' and was a pasta dish featuring home-made (green) spaghetti and, believe it or not, brussels sprouts and cauliflower amongst other things. The arctic char with black winter truffle crumb, eaten at my table, also received rave reviews.

Told ya !

Want a similar experience in England go to the ledbury which is even better (although with a similar sedate atmosphere).

Last time I went there I hadn't been for 3 months and they remembered I had gone to the world cup and my food preferences, attentiveness to the next level and amazing food.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Went to the L'Eglise again last Saturday lunch time. Choice between a set meal or A' la carte. Although the last incarnation of the L'Eglise was often raved about I found it disappointing.
The new owners have kept to a French theme but the standard of cooking is vastly improved. It's got a friendly atmosphere unlike many French restaurants which are pretentious. Wine and variety of food is great. My wife is on a special diet and they accommodated her without blinking an eye. Everything was top quality, from the bread (Real Patisserie) to the wine. The front of house bloke likes a laugh and is also responsible for the ordering of the wine and beers, and knows his stuff. All in all excellent and very good value, my new favourite restaurant, just pushing out The Curry Leaf.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Chambers Bistro on the coast road at Shoreham last night. Very much a mixed bag.

On the positive great atmosphere enhanced rather than ruined by live musicians. Nice wine list and superb choice of dishes. I wanted to order almost everything. Everyone was very pleased with what they ordered, particularly starters which were delicious (I had a wood pigeon with chicken liver parfait, about the best starter I've eaten for a couple of years, shame it was served on a ruddy SLATE).

Then the weird / annoying. They have a calves liver main on. I ordered it and was told they could "only" serve it well done. Was that the chef's choice I asked? No, they are forced to by the local council. FFS. I can't tell you how much this sort of thing gets on my tits. Let's just say it was only the fact I had company with me that stopped me running round to the Adur District Council and popping a poo through their letter box. Liver should be served medium rare and no more. Especially calves liver. Anyone who orders it knows this. I changed my order to pork belly as would anyone who knows what they are doing. I can only imagine how much old liver is taking up fridge space in their kitchen and/or being wasted. If a calf dies it is the duty of us to use it well. This is the thin end of a worrying wedge for me. What's next for the ban? Steak tartare? Rare kidneys? Sushi? It is up to a CHEF how to cook things and a DINER on how to order it. End of. Find out who imposed this, people of Adur, and vote them out of office.

The bad? They served my friend the wrong starter (though they brought up a corrected order within 5 minutes). They sent out a complimentary glass of wine to apologise (nice touch) then put it on the bill. Perhaps following on from the liver ruling my pork was totally under seasoned, don't think it had seen a grain of salt. And the mains are far too big, I had no chance of finishing it. I'd personally like to see a slightly smaller main at a pound or two less on the bill.

And I've got a hangover despite only having two glasses of wine, a symptom, I suspect, of not drinking at all recently. Grrr.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Coggins and co near seven dials.

It has to be brightens best burgers.
Real tasty and not too expensive.
Service friendly and down to earth.

Quite cheap.
Definitely worth a go for proper burger fans

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Tried the new George Payne owned Railway Inn next to Portslade Station last night, or at least stayed for a very quick drink before moving on. Perhaps I'm grumpy because I'm off the sauce but it was as confused and overpriced as I'd feared. Brighton prices on the drinks and a menu that consists almost entirely of burgers (£11 served with a tiny ramekin full of chips) and steaks and a cheese board where you have to pay £3.50 just for the bread and would cost over £11 for three cheeses. All this and you have to order at the bar which is still blocked with the old Whistlestop regulars swearing away.

Far less choice of beers than The Schooner with no craft beer on draft and one of the ales already off, something that made me glad I was on the soda and lime.

Didn't bother ordering. Went to Seasons for a tasty cheap pizza and some San Pellegrino. I'd give it a couple of months if I were you.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Tried the new George Payne owned Railway Inn next to Portslade Station last night, or at least stayed for a very quick drink before moving on. Perhaps I'm grumpy because I'm off the sauce but it was as confused and overpriced as I'd feared. Brighton prices on the drinks and a menu that consists almost entirely of burgers (£11 served with a tiny ramekin full of chips) and steaks and a cheese board where you have to pay £3.50 just for the bread and would cost over £11 for three cheeses. All this and you have to order at the bar which is still blocked with the old Whistlestop regulars swearing away.

Far less choice of beers than The Schooner with no craft beer on draft and one of the ales already off, something that made me glad I was on the soda and lime.

Didn't bother ordering. Went to Seasons for a tasty cheap pizza and some San Pellegrino. I'd give it a couple of months if I were you.

You can't make a silk purse out of a cows c**t.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I haven't read all 11 pages to see if this if this has been suggested before, but, have just discovered La Tana in Ladies Mile Road, Patcham. Enthusiastically run unpretentious Italian actually run by Italians. Each dish we had was given a slight twist to raise it well above the normal fare. We have a net two thoroughly enjoyable evenings there, and I am sure it will become a family favourite.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Coggins and co near seven dials.

It has to be brightens best burgers.
Real tasty and not too expensive.
Service friendly and down to earth.

Quite cheap.
Definitely worth a go for proper burger fans

This is round the corner from me and we go quite a lot. I'd say Trolls Pantry and Burger Brothers are marginally better burgers but for a poshish sit down burger experience, it's excellent. Much better than the overhyped MeatLiqor.

Their chips in beef dripping are rather good. Good selection of bottled ales as well.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

They've turned the Whislestop into a gastro pub? **** me.

Do they still have kareoke night?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
They've turned the Whislestop into a gastro pub? **** me.

Do they still have kareoke night?

I don't think so. What they have right now is overpriced burgers and ham and chips. Apparently the function room will host comedy and caberet when it's ready. Comedy. In Boundary Road. That isn't a street drinker walking through the window of the pound shop. Who'd have thunk it???

Edit - before anyone picks me up on it I know the Railway is technically on Station Road.......

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Then the weird / annoying. They have a calves liver main on. I ordered it and was told they could "only" serve it well done. Was that the chef's choice I asked? No, they are forced to by the local council. FFS. I can't tell you how much this sort of thing gets on my tits. Let's just say it was only the fact I had company with me that stopped me running round to the Adur District Council and popping a poo through their letter box. Liver should be served medium rare and no more. Especially calves liver. Anyone who orders it knows this. I changed my order to pork belly as would anyone who knows what they are doing. I can only imagine how much old liver is taking up fridge space in their kitchen and/or being wasted. If a calf dies it is the duty of us to use it well. This is the thin end of a worrying wedge for me. What's next for the ban? Steak tartare? Rare kidneys? Sushi? It is up to a CHEF how to cook things and a DINER on how to order it. End of. Find out who imposed this, people of Adur, and vote them out of office.

Cooking liver rare is guidance only - the restuarant should have just ignored the busybody jobsworths from Adur. You also need to blame the FSA as well !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I recommend the The White Horse in Ditchling (yards from the church and pond part of the village).

We've had a couple of good lunches there recently. A bit of a wait for the food, but it's well worth it - gorgeous food. Pies, steaks, platters, sausages and mash, vegie options, all cooked to a high standard and with some lovely desserts. Set in a nice open-plan pub, with an open fire and also a wood burner.

Well worth a visit.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't think so. What they have right now is overpriced burgers and ham and chips. Apparently the function room will host comedy and caberet when it's ready. Comedy. In Boundary Road. That isn't a street drinker walking through the window of the pound shop. Who'd have thunk it???

Edit - before anyone picks me up on it I know the Railway is technically on Station Road.......

Is nothing sacred? "There selling hippy wigs in Woolworths man."

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Is nothing sacred? "There selling hippy wigs in Woolworths man."

Agree with you that Troll's Pantry and Burger Brothers do the best burgers in town. You've also been to Paris of late. We're there for a few days in late July. Were there any restaurants/brasseries that you'd particularly recommend, or was it all about aural delights rather than gastronomy?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Agree with you that Troll's Pantry and Burger Brothers do the best burgers in town. You've also been to Paris of late. We're there for a few days in late July. Were there any restaurants/brasseries that you'd particularly recommend, or was it all about aural delights rather than gastronomy?

We were on a pretty strict budget and we frustratingly didn't get into a couple of places that I scouted out in advance - Bistrot Victories near The Louvre was the best of a fairly uninspiring bunch, good place for a quick cheap lunch. We ate a lot of simple French grub, lots of meat, the sort of stuff that it's hard to do wrong. We drunk plenty of red wine though.

My general impression was that France's racial diversity wasn't particuarly well reflected in the restaurants of Paris. It hit home to me that for all of the teeth grinding about integration we are a pretty multicultural nation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here