Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Solera D Tapa on Sydney Street is a lovely little tapas bar. The food is not remarkable but it is very good and wholesome, and I just love the vibe of the place. It is small, cosey and seemingly run by just the the chef and waitor. This will be a regular of mine over the next year I'm sure.

Oh, book otherwise you will be disappointed; it's popular.

As i said earlier, easily my favourite tapas place in town. I need to visit soon!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Me and the wife were thinking of going to Sams of Brighton at the Dials week after next. Has anyone been to both, and can you say Ginger Pig is a better option? I have been to the Pig but it was a good few years ago now. Been a while since I last went to Sams as well.

I've been to both, and my view is that while the food is very good at both, I did leave the Ginger Pig feeling I'd seriously overpaid, whereas I didn't at Sams. One thing about Sams, I've spoken to people (and been with them at the time too) who said they didn't enjoy their meal there, but I've been three or four times and haven't had an issue.

I haven't had a good meal at Sam's so stopped trying. Maybe I've been unlucky. I have to say quantity is not an over-riding consideration with me. Off to the Pig tonight and will report.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As an old fashioned meat and 3 veg or steak and chips man can somebody give me some insight into tapas and the ordering etc as I am not sure how to go about it and what one should order and how it should be served.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
As an old fashioned meat and 3 veg or steak and chips man can somebody give me some insight into tapas and the ordering etc as I am not sure how to go about it and what one should order and how it should be served.

That is the great thing about Tapas and Casa Don Carlos. With tapas the dishes are around £4 so you can choose a variety to share and if you don't like something, it is not too expensive to order a different one if you wish. CDC will help you out here big time and it takes no time at all when ordering an extra dish. They will recommend you order a max of 4 dishes and then add to that as and when you like.

Just booked the The Ivy in London and then on to The National Theatre for War Horse for the wifes 40th birthday surprise. Been to the Ivy before and it was ok, went about 7 years ago, thought we could try it again for a treat.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Cafe Motu on trafalgar street does a great English brekkie (real premium sausages) and some other good bits - ie homemade american pancakes with bacon and eggs and a good eggs benedict. Part of the home match routine now, a meet in there for 11.30 then for a few beers at the station.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
PS well done to Mendoza for starting this as its one of my favourite threads.

Seconded. Best thread on NSC. Amazing it's already at 2 pages 10 days into the year !!!!

Shame I won't be able to contribute for a while with my partner being unemployed :(

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Need a decent kid-friendly restaurant in Tunbridge Wells for lunch. Can anyone recommend anywhere please?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

That is the great thing about Tapas and Casa Don Carlos. With tapas the dishes are around £4 so you can choose a variety to share and if you don't like something, it is not too expensive to order a different one if you wish. CDC will help you out here big time and it takes no time at all when ordering an extra dish. They will recommend you order a max of 4 dishes and then add to that as and when you like.

Just booked the The Ivy in London and then on to The National Theatre for War Horse for the wifes 40th birthday surprise. Been to the Ivy before and it was ok, went about 7 years ago, thought we could try it again for a treat.

Tapas is a fantastic way of trying many foods in one sitting - one of my favourites. I guess it's a bit like a tasting menu at places like Graze.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Anyone been to Le Relais de Venise in Marylebone before? I've been recommended it a few times. Apparently there is no menu, you get a salad starter, and then steak frites and a glass of red wine. It's meant to be amazing

Hmmm, I'm in London tomorrow...

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Anyone been to Le Relais de Venise in Marylebone before? I've been recommended it a few times. Apparently there is no menu, you get a salad starter, and then steak frites and a glass of red wine. It's meant to be amazing

Yup, love it. Salad starter is actually amazing and the steak frites is perfect - and then they rock up and give you a whopping great second portion. Go and report back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As i said earlier, easily my favourite tapas place in town. I need to visit soon!

If you're ever in London check out Navarro's at 67 Charlotte St. A wonderful tapas institution.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I've been to a place in Paris like this. It's famous but I cannot remember the name of it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I haven't had a good meal at Sam's so stopped trying. Maybe I've been unlucky. I have to say quantity is not an over-riding consideration with me. Off to the Pig tonight and will report.

Due to a combination of Merry Prankster's post, Sam's not returning my wife's email booking enquiry from last week and me and the wife taking a peek at The Ginger Pig's rather exciting menu we have elected to go to the Pig week after next. The "poached pear, fresh honeycomb & blue cheese" dessert looks a must as does the hare and pigs trotter pie.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
The Hawksmoor, Covent Garden, London (sister restaurants in Guidhall and Spitalfields).

If you like your steak juicy, your chips triple cooked and your wine red then this is the restaurant for you. The best restaurant I've been to in many years, it's not at all snobby or pretentious. Only downside is it's a bit punchy on the wallet, generally £50 per head, for that reason I can only give it 9/10

Hawksmoor - the best steak restaurant in London

I´d go 9/10 on the Hawksmoor, had a great porterhouse steak there on New years eve. I will definitely be going there again!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I´d go 9/10 on the Hawksmoor, had a great porterhouse steak there on New years eve. I will definitely be going there again!

If you like your ladies a certain way then you should visit this place. 10/10 for the waitresses

Attachments

• Restaurant-staff-with-tat-001.jpg
    Restaurant-staff-with-tat-001.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I took one of my girlfriends down to Brighton for her birthday last year, it coincided with the Birmingham match at home, so found a nice boutique hotel in Regency Square as she was not too happy I was going to the Albion, and ate out at Ginger Man in Norfolk Square. The food was 9/10, absolutely amazing, and to make things even better there were two lesbians on the table opposite who couldn't keep their hands off each other, which was nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here