Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Ren - the most-talented Brighton-based artist since...?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I mean, I appreciate I may not be his target audience ...... but as you say - he can sing, and play the guitar, and tell a story, and is original and I only wish the best for him. Cheers.
That's pretty much where I am too. Really liked that version of 'I shot the Sherriff' (and I never ever liked the song at all!)

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The band's cover of I Shot The Sheriff is a terrific live version, brilliant. I'm sure an ex used to rave about their Ship St performances. The solo stuff shows he's very talented but not the sort of thing I'd listen to (it's a generation gap too far for me probably). Good luck to him though. The Western Rd version of BitterSweet Symphony is genius. Do hope his health gets better and he gets more artistic success.

edit - 'kin hell Chalk Outlines is brilliant too, missed that one earlier.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Has his album dropped yet (dropped!!! Look at me down with the kids)?

I think Ren is brilliant. Best thing I have heard in years.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The band's cover of I Shot The Sheriff is a terrific live version, brilliant. I'm sure an ex used to rave about their Ship St performances. The solo stuff shows he's very talented but not the sort of thing I'd listen to (it's a generation gap too far for me probably). Good luck to him though. The Western Rd version of BitterSweet Symphony is genius. Do hope his health gets better and he gets more artistic success.

edit - 'kin hell Chalk Outlines is brilliant too, missed that one earlier.
His recent stuff/upcoming album is rap-based.

But he said in a recent interview (this one, below, I think) that he's returning to singing next.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
IMG_3524.jpeg

Hopefully he can overtake the sentimentalist’s pin-up before the end of the week.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I first came across him about 4 years ago when I discovered film of him busking in Brighton. There’s seriously loads of it online.

He is amazingly talented. I just hope he gets all the help he needs and learns enough about himself to control his life and live as happy a one as possible.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
He's a genuinely good egg too. Donating over £20k to the RNLI deserves a big pat on the back. He's also really supportive of those who react to his songs on YouTube, often supporting their channels with interviews and allowing any profit earned to be shared.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I was confused that he’s been releasing so much whilst having treatment in Canada for a year. He’s confirmed it was all recorded before he went.

The cynic in me also wondered if he was being bankrolled by a record company (esp given high production values of videos). But, no, all independent. Amazing, really.

Hope he gets well enough to play live again.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I was confused that he’s been releasing so much whilst having treatment in Canada for a year. He’s confirmed it was all recorded before he went.

The cynic in me also wondered if he was being bankrolled by a record company (esp given high production values of videos). But, no, all independent. Amazing, really.

Hope he gets well enough to play live again.
Yeah you can tell it's old because in the video for Murderer the Box gym has relocated a bit further down Castle Street since he shot the video.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There is a graffiti mural up on Lewes road (heading out of the city) near to the Lewes Road Inn but on the opposite side.

It’s based on this:

IMG_3536.png

Just in time to celebrate a UK No.1 album?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here