Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF Flag 2

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We have ground to a halt at £ 615. Any news on the search for REMF Flag 1, I can start making enquiries as to what we can get circa £ 600.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We have ground to a halt at £ 615. Any news on the search for REMF Flag 1, I can start making enquiries as to what we can get circa £ 600.

I think if you read back a few posts you'll see that you'll get a few more donations if you outline a few ground rules re storage transport etc....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Richard Hebberd has said that the flag sat outside in all weathers, became really shitty, and he is 99% that it has been binned. So I guess it's time for a new one.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
So I guess it's time for a new one.

As already said, who would take responsibility for storing it or making sure it was put somewhere safe each time?
I would but we don't have any room.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I am inclined to offer to start this off, largley because I did get involved with it a bit with the old flag, but I really think the club must be involved with the storage, and bringing it out to home games. If they agree, then I will take on the responsibility for making sure it is looked after, and that when it goes away that it comes back.

If the club won't get involved then it will be a bit difficult for me to look after it as such, because I live a good half an hour from Brighton, so someone else more local would need to take it on.

If the consensus here and with the REMF people is OK with that I'll contact Richard Hebberd this week and put the ideas to him and start the ball rolling, see what his response is, then I'll take it on from there.

Unless someone else is desparate to do it that is.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I am inclined to offer to start this off, largley because I did get involved with it a bit with the old flag, but I really think the club must be involved with the storage, and bringing it out to home games. If they agree, then I will take on the responsibility for making sure it is looked after, and that when it goes away that it comes back.

If the club won't get involved then it will be a bit difficult for me to look after it as such, because I live a good half an hour from Brighton, so someone else more local would need to take it on.

If the consensus here and with the REMF people is OK with that I'll contact Richard Hebberd this week and put the ideas to him and start the ball rolling, see what his response is, then I'll take it on from there.

Unless someone else is desparate to do it that is.

Would be nice for the club to be involved - but it is REMF's ultimate responsibility and for that I think Gareth should look to have some sort of storage, transportation and management of the flag underway before we all spend our money again...if the club were to help it would be above and beyond the call so to speak...

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Agree, tedebear. Only while it'd be nice for the club to be involved, they've no real obligation to store stuff for anyone given the limited accomodation available at Withdean. Since various activities take place at the ground, it's also easy to see how a new flag could get also lost unless it could be locked away in its own secure storage space. Only it takes up so much room that if it isn't locked away then it'll be moved every time someone needs to use any space currently filled with a giant flag. And each time it gets moved, the chance of finding it again diminish because nobody knows who has moved it or to where.

If Richard is prepared to find a new flag a home of its own, that'd be marvellous. If someone living close to Withdean could store it ready for collection before every outing it makes would also be marvellous. But just assuming that all we need to do is raise enough money and everything else will magically sort itself is a recipe for the same problems we had with the original flag.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
How much will the new flag weigh, and how much room will it take?

If it's lightweight. eg. made of nylon sailcloth, and therefore less than 20 Kg. I will keep it at my home, and put it in a 80 litre rucksack.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I've had it with all this frankly, until someone takes responsibility for this new flag, and I have absolutely no idea why Uncle Spielberg hasn't taken the bull by the horns, then I can't be bothered. I have offered time and again to get involved, even to store the thing (although we are in Shoreham, we do have a large workshop) but nothing happens.

When the REMF has decided what to do with its new flag, let me know. I might have gotten old and grey by then.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Quite understand your feelings on the matter, tedebear! Only before we start taking people's money, it's essential to have the sort of arrangements in place that ensure the new flag doesn't go the same way as the original. Heads need to be ruling hearts on this one!

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll put in £20 for the flag. If its small enough (but still big if you get my drift) how about contacting the company that is the BHA team coach. Maybe if there is room perhaps they can transport it, store it. At least they will be going to every away game.

It might be a non starter or they may not want to. If they can, but want some dosh for doing so, then I will add another £20 to that cost.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I honestly doubt that anyone involved with the team coach will want anything to do with it! Regardless of whether they are paid.

It's difficult enough getting the flag onto the supporters' club coach since it has to be taken to and collected from Conway Street. The supporters club have kindly taken the flag to a couple of away games but someone still has to take responsibility for meeting the coach, having a team of people ready to carry it and then doing the whole thing in reverse after the game. And that's before the trip to Conway Street when you get back to Sussex.

I think that most of the problems we had with the previous flag were down to assumptions that an undefined group of "other people" would be taking responsibility for it. But once it gets handed over to third parties, there's even more danger of it going missing.

So in my view, we should neither take donations nor order another flag until some definite and workable arrangements have been made to look after it properly.

Following on from what Roz said ...

It's not enough to have someone saying "I'll do it". Real dedication is needed.

An example (of an occasion when things went WELL):-

The flag once went to Hillsborough, in the back of Superphil's car. What Phil needed to do was this:-

1. Pick the thing up from where it was stored in Brighton.

2. Drive it to Sheffield.

3. Arrive early enough to be able to get the car to the gate at the right end of the stadium.

4. Unload the flag and get it into the stadium. (How many people are there to help?)

5. Leave the people who have taken the flag into the stadium, 90 minutes before kick off. (Are they happy about missing a pre-match trip to the pub?) (They will have to liaise with stewards, safety officer, etc about exactly how the flag will make its appearance)

6. Go and park the car somewhere close, because you'll need to be able to walk to the car post-match in order to pick the flag up. (How easy is that?)

7. Driver now returns to the stadium for a pub-free pre-match 80 minutes. (Alternatively, driver can abandon the mates who have been left in the stadium and make better pre-match arrangements).

8. Post-match:- Mates of driver collect up the flag and hump it down to the exit gate.

9. Driver goes to collect car and bring the vehicle to the exit gate. (Really? How easy is that, when thousands of people are milling around and the police say 'Sorry sir, the roads will be closed for some time'?)

10. Pick up flag and passengers.

11. Drive to Brighton.

12. Return flag to storage.

If you are keen ... sign up now.

If you think that someone else might be prepared to do all this, give reasons as to WHY YOU THINK SUCH PEOPLE EXIST.

:)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
To a degree Ed those are the reasons why I feel we should try and get the club involved with taking the repsonsibility for the flag while it is in Brighton, for the home games.

We have discussed the need to make the flag certainly lighter, and possibly smaller to make handling it easier. This would be essential to make it work.

As for taking it to away games, like I said, I would be prepared to administer it, and to make sure that anyone who took it took full responsibility for it. I'm not saying I would take it to all away games, I certainly wouldn't be able to. I took the old flag to a number of games, as did others, such as La Premier Cru, it was not an easy thing to do, and it is suprising how little help was offered, even when requested, from fans especially after the games.

How about a slightly different approach, have laods of smaller flags, perhaps all as parts of a jigsaw, and "assemble" them above our heads when we get to the game.

Or,keep it simple, have a load of blue and a load of white flags. When we get to a ground arrange them so as they show the stripes above everyones heads. Then we could all have a flag each.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I'm happy to store it at my house, but there are two issues here:
1) I doubt anyone will read this.
2) I don't have a car.

Having been heavily involved with the previous flag, my personal opinion is that the £600 would be better off given to worthy causes like the teams the REMF helps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here