Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remain unbeaten but not get promoted

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Remain unbeaten but not get promoted

Remain unbeaten would get us into the play-offs, though. And then we'd have to be beaten not to go up.

We could lose the Play-off final on penalties. I suppose that is technically being "beaten" though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Possibly, but extremely unlikely. We are still over 2pts a game though which as we all know, gets you promoted

Have a feeling, as rare as it would be, more than two sides could end up with 90 plus points this year. I think the division will start to divide soon.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
With our current squad, we'll make the play-offs this year, I've got no doubts about that.
Bring in a striker comparable to Ulloa in January, we'll be pushing for the top 2.

We've got 3 winnable home games coming up and Burnley away.
7 points should be the minimum picked up from these.

What's Rickie Lambert up to?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
All this about not losing..We could not lose all season and end up bottom half of table if we don`t win any more....We would need to win half and draw half to be promotion hopefulls...So assuming we are going to lose a few we need to start winning most games again.We have played 15 games, splitting into threes first three games7 points,second three 9 points,third three 5 points,fourth three 7 points and last three 3 points..One point a game is relegation not promotion material.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All this about not losing..We could not lose all season and end up bottom half of table if we don`t win any more....We would need to win half and draw half to be promotion hopefulls...So assuming we are going to lose a few we need to start winning most games again.We have played 15 games, splitting into threes first three games7 points,second three 9 points,third three 5 points,fourth three 7 points and last three 3 points..One point a game is relegation not promotion material.

That's it! We're never going to win ever again.
At the moment we are averaging 2 points a game coping with major injuries and suspensions. We can only do what we do. I'm sure that the club will do everything they can to do get players in that we need. It isn't that simple as stating the obvious.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If you are hell bent on seeing us promoted then yes. It is a worry. However, we have now equalled in unbeaten record in the league set in the 30s (apparently). It is our best start to a season ever and we seem to have developed an absolute phobia about losing. We are now as near as dammit a third of the way through the season and right up in the mix. I am absolutely loving this season and simply refuse to pick through the slight downsides that might be there.

For what it is worth, I suspect you are right and that we don't have enough goals in us to get promoted automatically. I would like to think that being defeated so rarely would be enough to see us into the playoff zone by season's end and I would still consider that an absolute triumph regardless of the outcome. Given where we have come from last season this season remains simply superb.
Good post. Hard to argue with any of that. Another striker might just make the difference -what is up with BZ, by the way? Great if we go up automatically, though the play-offs would not be a disaster. The PL is undoubtedly where we should be, or rather want to be, but I have also enjoyed the Championship.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I think this is rather unfair to talk like that about the last three games. They were two potentially hard matches away from home, and many here were expecting in either (or perhaps both)of them that the unbeaten stretch would end. We did very well to get two draws. The Preston match was the only blip, and this was indeed very disappointing, but realistically, all teams will play like that at times.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I think this is rather unfair to talk like that about the last three games. They were two potentially hard matches away from home, and many here were expecting in either (or perhaps both)of them that the unbeaten stretch would end. We did very well to get two draws. The Preston match was the only blip, and this was indeed very disappointing, but realistically, all teams will play like that at times.

Possibly..but we were one up at Reading and let it slip..we have missed penalties and failed to score against ten men to win games..We have Drawn seven games I believe four we should have won...Preston was poor and we could have lost that at the end. Perhaps we should open up a bit, win more and lose some ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Possibly..but we were one up at Reading and let it slip..we have missed penalties and failed to score against ten men to win games..We have Drawn seven games I believe four we should have won...Preston was poor and we could have lost that at the end. Perhaps we should open up a bit, win more and lose some ?

Let's not forget that Christmas came early for Preston and we were without both Kayal and Stephens.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All this about not losing..We could not lose all season and end up bottom half of table if we don`t win any more....

we've have 62 points if we drew our remaining 31 games and didn't win any more.
That would put us in the top half (just) of the table in every one of the last 10 seasons :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let's not forget that Christmas came early for Preston and we were without both Kayal and Stephens.

And ended up playing with 10 men when Bong was injured. I think some people's expectations are too high and they'll always be disappointed.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
And ended up playing with 10 men when Bong was injured. I think some people's expectations are too high and they'll always be disappointed.

My hopes for the Club are high this season..not sure about expectations..anyone supporting will be dissappointed when Team lets winning situation slip. Was it sensible to have used all subs as early as Hughton did that left us with ten?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

And we looked to be heading for 'only' draws against Leeds, Fulham and Bristol City, before scoring late winners. Swings and round-abouts.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
9 wins and 21 draws from the last 31 games would see us in the play-offs.

In a good/lucky year, 3 wins and 28 draws from the next 31 games would be enough. Imagine having an unbeaten season and then losing in the play-offs!

If you take 72 as the average, 5 wins and 26 draws would do it. Or 8 wins, 17 draws, 6 losses. So whilst we can't draw our way to the play-offs, we wouldn't be far off with a few wins thrown into the mix!

Last 10 seasons you'd need the below points totals to give you an idea.

14-15. 79 (need 48 - 9 wins, 21 draws)
08-09. 75 (need 44 - 7 wins, 23 draws)
06-07. 75 (need 44 - 7 wins, 23 draws)
10-11. 73 (need 42 - 6 wins, 24 draws)
13-14. 72 (need 41 - 5 wins, 26 draws)
11-12. 71 (need 40 - 5 wins, 25 draws)
07-08. 71 (need 40 - 5 wins, 25 draws)
09-10. 70 (need 39 - 4 wins, 27 draws)
12-13. 69 (need 38 - 4 wins, 26 draws)
05-06. 68 (need 37 - 3 wins, 28 draws)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
21 wins needed to go up, let's get 3 of them vs MKDons, Birmingham and Charlton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here