Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Religion is the cause of all problems...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You see, you've missed the point again. I gave you some information, based on facts, I pointed out that there are a lot more of them than there are of you, and I explained that there are those that believe, and in what they believe. I stated my opinion on a couple of points. I certainly didn't state anywhere what my own personal beliefs are, and I won't.

As for science, this was written by a scientist, who used to be an Athiest.

Does God exist? The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains it today.

Then who designed the Designer?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1. Please read: Russian Orthodox Church sings from Putin hymn sheet on Ukraine

2. Kim Jong-Un like his predecessors is seen by his people and sees himself as a living god.

3. The church has no monopoly on charity and isn't a requirement for any charitable deeds to be done. Also religious charity work around the world has an agenda to turn people to it. "Oh dear starving person have some food. By the way have you heard the good news?......"

I was responding in a thread titled Religion is the cause of ALL problems. Obviously religions are misused to cause all sorts of problems. But all? Let's not be silly here.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
All that terrible stuff Russia are doing in the name of... oh. Oh right.

Well, forget that, what about those ruddy North Koreans doing all those stupid things all because of that book...oh...oh right.

As you were.

Hate all that bloody CHARITY work the church does as well, utter disgrace.

Russia is a homophobic nation because of religion.

North Korea worship Kim Jong Un as their religion.

Religion cause more problems than it solves. Hitler took care of homeless people, banned hunting and was a vegetarian.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Russia is a homophobic nation because of religion.

North Korea worship Kim Jong Un as their religion.

Religion cause more problems than it solves. Hitler took care of homeless people, banned hunting and was a vegetarian.

Brilliant.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
You see, you've missed the point again. I gave you some information, based on facts, I pointed out that there are a lot more of them than there are of you, and I explained that there are those that believe, and in what they believe. I stated my opinion on a couple of points. I certainly didn't state anywhere what my own personal beliefs are, and I won't.

Does God exist? The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains it today.

Many examples showing God's design could be given, possibly with no end. But here are a few:

The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

There are a number of other explainations for scientific phenomena she makes, about Water (H2O), The Human Brain, The Human Eye, The uniform laws of nature, DNA encoding, it's all quite interestingly put, and possibly more thought provoking than some of the things you've written on the subject.

What about the part where - in about 5 billion years - our sun consumes all its hydrogen and expands to become a red giant? This will completely incinerate the Earth or at least render it uninhabitable. Perhaps a billion years after that, our sun will be dead. This doesn't seem like very intelligent placement by our designer. Will there be a recall?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What about the part where - in about 5 billion years - our sun consumes all its hydrogen and expands to become a red giant? This will completely incinerate the Earth or at least render it uninhabitable. Perhaps a billion years after that, our sun will be dead. This doesn't seem like very intelligent placement by our designer. Will there be a recall?

Don't ask me, ask the person who wrote it

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I was responding in a thread titled Religion is the cause of ALL problems. Obviously religions are misused to cause all sorts of problems. But all? Let's not be silly here.

Please don't imply I'm being silly when you failed to see the rest of the topic title in the first post:

Post #1 said:
... well most of them anyway!

Also I never made any assertion in respect of this. I merely showed religious connotations to things you purported to not contain any. :rolleyes:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Many examples showing God's design could be given, possibly with no end. But here are a few:

The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

There are a number of other explainations for scientific phenomena she makes, about Water (H2O), The Human Brain, The Human Eye, The uniform laws of nature, DNA encoding, it's all quite interestingly put, and possibly more thought provoking than some of the things you've written on the subject.

interesting that none of these are actually strictly necessary, just "nice" calibrations for our current form of life. for example the atmosphere has changed greatly over the eons, with far more nitrogen in the past. The moon is moving away from the earth gradually, and certainly have no bearing on the existance of life (even if it does have affects on behaviour). i could come up with far more examples of poor design that suggest a designer without a clue or incompetent, for example the thorax in mammals that allows us to choke.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Not another one of these bloody religion threads :lolol:

Religion is an annoying subject and one which will carry on being debated for ever.

I use to believe in God three or four years ago when I was 13/14 and became an active member of an American style crazy holy spirit church down the road from me but now though I'm not so sure, I have too many doubts and am generally leaning towards the belief that there is no God, there's too many reasons NOT to believe in my opinion.

I find it quite irritating though when either atheists/believers attack other beliefs and claim everyone else is wrong apart from them, or impose their beliefs onto you (theists are more guilty of this). I couldn't care less what anyone believes as long as they keep it to them selves and don't bloody pester me about how their belief system is the one true one and everyone else is in the dark.

Debating religion is pointless though in this day and age as neither side has 100% evidence, so everyone thinks their right no matter what is thrown at them.

As for religion being the cause of all problems in the world... that is nonsense!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

"About the Author: As a former atheist, Marilyn Adamson found it difficult to refute the continuously answered prayers and quality of life of a close friend. In challenging the beliefs of her friend, Marilyn was amazed to learn the wealth of objective evidence pointing to the existence of God. After about a year of persistent questioning, she responded to God's offer to come into her life and has found faith in Him to be constantly substantiated and greatly rewarding."

Which was nice!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
That really is clutching at straws. The fact we eat and breath (at the same time) through the same narrow pipe is a masterpiece in design. If someone chokes to death, they are bloody unlucky, it's not a common problem or flaw in the design.

Throughout all life, nature, physics and the universe you will struggle to find any feature or property that serves no purpose. It seems as if everything has been completely fine tuned for our existence. A type of intelligent design does certainly seem to be true, but that does not necessarily mean that the intelligent designer is God.

Cool story bro BUT evolution sounds better[emoji2]

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
... well most of them anyway!

have you only just come to this conclusion or have you been thinking about it for a while
I came to this conclusion when I was about 7
I went to a Catholic school
and was beaten up on the way home
that was 60 years ago
after that I went the long way home

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Theism is a broad subject. "God" is not necessarily defined as the anthropomorphic deity as described in the Abrahamic religions, it may not even be self aware.

Anyone who claims to know that God does not exist is either ignorant or lying.

Anyone who claims god does exist is either ignorant or lying

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That really is clutching at straws. The fact we eat and breath (at the same time) through the same narrow pipe is a masterpiece in design. If someone chokes to death, they are bloody unlucky, it's not a common problem or flaw in the design.

Throughout all life, nature, physics and the universe you will struggle to find any feature or property that serves no purpose. It seems as if everything has been completely fine tuned for our existence. A type of intelligent design does certainly seem to be true, but that does not necessarily mean that the intelligent designer is God.

Things are like they are through billions and billions of failures. Who knows what other forms of life have, still do, or have yet to exist within the life of the universe.

It isn't a masterpiece of design, it is a necessity in which a branch of life survives over another. We would not be without our thorax. Again, not through design, but through every mutation not having a large enough thorax not surviving to be able to reproduce. The process isn't design at all, it really is just trial and error on a cosmic scale.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Wait, how can religion be the cause of all problems when untrammeled capitalism is the source of all problems?

I'm confused. Which sweeping, reductionist statement is right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here