Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Red Dwarf

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Why is Rimmer a hologram again?

At the end of the last episode in series 9 his last scene is kicking the reaper in the bollocks and legging it, so when did he die?

Apparently it will be explained in the last episode of this series.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Can someone help me out here, I think I have missed out a whole series, was the last series before back to earth when the nanos recreated red dwarf and all the crew? or was there one after that which I would of missed.

The last proper series was 8 with the recreated Red Dwarf. The three part Back to Earth special mentioned that the non existent series 9 was the best series yet. I think Doug Naylor made the decision to explain the hiatus and differences between the end of 8 and the start of 10 in this way. However, as mentioned above I've heard rumours they will explain at least how Rimmer died again in the last episode of this series.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yep. I watched 15 mins of series 7 & that was me done. Refused to spoil the comical genius of the first six series & the good name of Red Dwarf with the poor excuse of the 7th series & beyond... As far as I was concerned.

I gave Series 7 a little longer, but wasn't liking a once great show fall apart so quickly. By the time Rimmer went off to "replace" Ace Rimmer in the 2nd episode, I decided I'd had enough. 15 mins into the next one, when Kochanski came in from a parallel universe, I switched off, deciding to leave it with the memories of the first 6 series.

Series 8 - I didn't watch at all.

Series 9 - back to earth, I saw a bit of, but wasn't all that fussed.

Tuned in last night, encouraged by the cast being back together, but still wasn't expecting much. Turned out to be very good indeed. Great to have you back RD.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The last proper series was 8 with the recreated Red Dwarf. The three part Back to Earth special mentioned that the non existent series 9 was the best series yet. I think Doug Naylor made the decision to explain the hiatus and differences between the end of 8 and the start of 10 in this way. However, as mentioned above I've heard rumours they will explain at least how Rimmer died again in the last episode of this series.

Ok thanks!

I hope we see the return of Ace Rimmer.

I missed last nights but im sure it will be on at some point over the weekend.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I thought it was very promising last night. Nice to see them return to the format of the earlier series.
For me, RD was great up to series 6 inclusive. I was unsure if series 10 was a good idea, but on last nights evidence...yup - a good idea!

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I loved the old Red Dwarf. Maybe because I was younger and more impressionable. I switched over after the first 15 minutes of this new series though. Terrible acting. Didn't find a single thing funny. And canned laughter...

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Heard Craig Charles on Hawksby and Jacobs show yesterday saying he thought 3 of this seasons episodes are in his top 10 of all time, maybe a bit of promotion going on but it does sound promising.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I wish they'd adapt 'Last Human' into a series instead and do that to end 'Red Dwarf' - I think my main problem with it nowadays is that I don't really like Craig Charles that much any more.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
The acting wasn't bad at all. In particular Craig Charles is a far more accomplished actor than he was 10 years ago - maybe that was the problem.

I thought it was very funny, and for the record - it wasn't canned laughter - live studio audience.

Either way, it was better without it.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
for the record - it wasn't canned laughter - live studio audience.

I enjoyed it.
On subject on canned laughter, the sound you are hearing is kind of canned. When filmed in front of a live audience they record audience sound on a separate track, including that in any warm-up acts and out-takes. While they use the audience laughter as a guide (though often more to try out a few variations on a line or scene and see which works best) the large majority of the laughter you hear is mixed back in in the edit and may well not be laughter recorded at that moment.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
For your delectation, here are the septics having a go and making series 7 look hilarious.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
and here is the very 1st episode - notice the canned laughter!

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I was pleasantly surprised - although, Kryten is looking oddly overweight and wrinkly around the eyes for an android!

The driver and moose section was perfectly executed. It's great when you see it coming a mile off yet it still makes you laugh out loud. Sign of great timing.

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast..."

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I wasn't expecting much as I didn't think much of Back to Earth but I was very pleasantly surprised. Promising start and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I was initially skeptical but equally excited by it. Some parts were a bit odd (why bring Howard into it, i don't really know) but the chemistry seemed to be there and it went down well...looking forward to the rest of the series. Looking forward to seeing a few 'on location' episodes if possible...my favourite was 'Gunmen Of The Apocalypse' so hoping for similar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here