Recruitment Consultants

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Worked in finance, got my qualifications, moved into management consultancy and am now executive director of the company I work in and non exec of others. All of which that create value.

So a recruitment consultancy that finds candidates with a scarce skill that a company is struggling to source directly does not create value?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
So a recruitment consultancy that finds candidates with a scarce skill that a company is struggling to source directly does not create value?

No. I require candidates with a very scarce skill yet easily manage without the use of a recruitment consultancy.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
No. I require candidates with a very scarce skill yet easily manage without the use of a recruitment consultancy.

So you're not struggling. What about those that are? I feel I can manage change effectively in my business. That does not mean that a change management consultant cannot add value in a different environment.

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I have not read all of the posts on this thread cause I couldnt be arsed but from what I know of RC's MONEY-OLD-ROPE comes to mind.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I have not read all of the posts on this thread cause I couldnt be arsed but from what I know of RC's MONEY-OLD-ROPE comes to mind.

Excellent. So in your informed opinion the OP should enter the industry and will undoubtedly make a fortune?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Excellent. So in your informed opinion the OP should enter the industry and will undoubtedly make a fortune?

Because I have been self employed for nearly forty years I admit I have a skewed view on this subject. The only bloke I know who is a RC is a fecking idiot. So how can a business throw money at him to find a new employee when shirley they can find one themselves. Its all about too much money swirling about - so what can they spend it on?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Because I have been self employed for nearly forty years I admit I have a skewed view on this subject. The only bloke I know who is a RC is a fecking idiot. So how can a business throw money at him to find a new employee when shirley they can find one themselves. Its all about too much money swirling about - so what can they spend it on?

Well clearly they cant find one themselves, or they wouldn't do it, would they?

seagulls120

Feb 25, 2009
Personally I feel that job boards are the way forward. They are a one off fee (Normally very reasonable) and you would receive a number of quality candidates. Also clients are always more receptive, mainly because there not pirates just steeling their money.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Personally I feel that job boards are the way forward. They are a one off fee (Normally very reasonable) and you would receive a number of quality candidates. Also clients are always more receptive, mainly because there not pirates just steeling their money.

I place ads on job boards daily and receive a huge amount of applications. 99.99% of them are utter dross.

Senior level head hunting means getting on the phone and networking for hours and hours at a time. It can take weeks to find the right candidate. How the hell would a company director looking for a new executive have the time to do this? If they are going to pay the candidate 100K a year then it is a much better use of resources to just pay a recruitment company 10K to find the candidate for them.

And anyone who says it is money for old rope has no idea what they are talking about. Recruitment is one cut-throat industry, I can tell you. If you don't perform, and perform quickly, you're out the door. There is no hiding place, the figures are there in black in white, if you're not paying for yourself, and making the company a decent amount of money, then cheerio.

seagulls120

Feb 25, 2009
If you post your jobs on any job board about you our going to attract rubbish candidates. Going to a niche job board on the other hand works well, I'm currently working for a job board, and admittedly you get the odd rubbish candidate, majority of the time they are really good. Also how you look after a client is important too, if you offer a great service and help them out, there come back. I work with many clients who would much rather work with us than go to a recruitment agency (Pirates).

I place ads on job boards daily and receive a huge amount of applications. 99.99% of them are utter dross.

Senior level head hunting means getting on the phone and networking for hours and hours at a time. It can take weeks to find the right candidate. How the hell would a company director looking for a new executive have the time to do this? If they are going to pay the candidate 100K a year then it is a much better use of resources to just pay a recruitment company 10K to find the candidate for them.

And anyone who says it is money for old rope has no idea what they are talking about. Recruitment is one cut-throat industry, I can tell you. If you don't perform, and perform quickly, you're out the door. There is no hiding place, the figures are there in black in white, if you're not paying for yourself, and making the company a decent amount of money, then cheerio.

Tekkers

Sep 26, 2012
Was a RC for 6 yrs - still in Recruitment but now in-house for a particular business.

If you're thinking of getting into it I'd consider a few things:
- Thick skin is essential - as you've seen from this thread people will hate you (I'm not exaggerating) just for being one before they've even spoken to you. You'll also be knocked back 100 times a day (often very rudely) and need to brush yourself off and start again
- Its very hard work - you've got to prove you are different to the other 10 Consultants that have called that day and to do that you need to know everything about, and everyone in, your particular market. You need to be prepared to put a lot into it if you want the rewards. You don't always have to work every hour of the day but its serious graft.
- Definitely aim of the senior end of whatever market you choose. £80k plus, as someone mentioned, is a good start. Don't waste time on high volume, low return business
- Not sure if you're up for relocating but I'd want to be in or around London, Thames Valley or Birmingham. As much as I love Sussex its not great for big businesses that are willing to spends hundreds of thousands on recruiting (although this could impact on attending Albion games of course)
- Don't fall for all the hype an agency will give you re incentives, trips away, etc - you'll only enjoy it if you're making decent money so drill down on the training you'll get, how much of the market you'll get (if sharing), how much new is new business v account growth, existing clients you can take over etc
- Understand your commission structure 100% before accepting anything - plenty of horror stories out there of people not getting a £10k bonus they expected

It can be a great job and a lot, not all, of your competition will be the typical awful consultant people hate so much (often rightly). If you're good then the rewards are there.

Good luck buddy, let me know if you want some suggestions of agencies - got plenty of people you can speak to in London or Thames Valley. They'll all be open to speaking to you informally if you've got the Sales background and are up for it

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Well clearly they cant find one themselves, or they wouldn't do it, would they?

Advertise in the Argus, not all jobs are in the multi-millionaire bracket-------yes your right I dont know what I'm talking about. Have you any views on the last few years history of Brighton & Hove Councils in & out policy? If you read some of the job descriptions for various jobs and the amount of money on offer it is money for old rope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports