Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommended MP3 players..

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I'm currently in the market for an MP3 player and I don't want an iPod(can't stand iTunes)

Any good models people recommend? I'm looking for one with a sizeable capacity (20GB+ I think) so I'm not really keen on one of those mini ones.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have an Iriver I bought on Ebay which also has an FM radio, cost £40, Very reliable and holds 6 gbt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can I ask what music storage program you use and how it's better than iTunes?

Because if it is I would definitely swap.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I have an Iriver I bought on Ebay which also has an FM radio, cost £40, Very reliable and holds 6 gbt.

I was interested in iRiver but I'd be interested in a larger model. I wasn't aware that new iRivers were still being made?

And re: iTunes, I just haven't ever really used it so I'm not anti it, just generally not an apple man and not about to change now.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003

What iPod would you recommend then?

Are Ipod's more durable than they used to be? I have visions of me breaking one!

A friend of mine had an Iriver about 4 years ago and I remember it being really good and durable, but they don't seem to be as prominent as they once were.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you look after them sure, that's not being patronising, I have a bad history of mistreating gadgets.

I have a Classic iPod 120gb, cost £179 and has served me really well. My full library on there (60gb-ish) and plenty of TV series ripped from DVDs. Use the program Handbrake if you want to do that, fairly easy and painless, there is a guide online for that, I can send you a link if you end up going for an iPod.

Also excellent for automatically downloading all the latest comedy and football podcasts every time I stick it in my laptop.

I honestly think iTunes is worth perservering with, once you're used to it it's far less hassle than Windows Media Player or other equivalents. Sorts all your stuff into neat columns and to put them onto the iPod is simply drag and drop.

I'm sorry I know I sound like a salesman but I'm honestly just very happy with the products.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Cowon iAudio D2, check it out I've got one and its amazing. SDHC Card Support too so huge memory possibilities.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
16gb for £160? Are you joking?

I'm sorry, the last thing I want is to start another pro/anti Apple binfest but you can't say the iPod isn't good value for money. For just £19 more you would get 114 EXTRA gb space.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
16gb for £160? Are you joking?

I'm sorry, the last thing I want is to start another pro/anti Apple binfest but you can't say the iPod isn't good value for money. For just £19 more you would get 114 EXTRA gb space.

I do agree there, and that's what I noticed when I was having a look online. I simply don't understand the massive difference between the two prices(in regards to non-iPod's and also the much smaller capacity).

I want alot of space and I also don't want to spend too much!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I got this

Sony NWZ-S639FB 16GB Drag Photo

I got it for £95, though could have got it for £80. More expensive now on Amazon but might be cheaper elsewhere.

Sound is a lot better than an ipod and I can download iplayer stuff to it. I've kept Itunes though as in my opinion it is the best os you can get for mp3 etc. Was a bit apprehensive to make the move away from an ipod but glad i did.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
i bought an Archos gmini 20gb 3 years ago - it's been dropped and treated roughly but barely has a scratch on it, built like a proverbial.... also, most importantly i have never had a software problem with it - unlike many of my friends ipods. also, i would only EVER recommend one that uses the generic windows media player and would steer well clear of itunes in particular. with the archos i can take any music off a friends p.c through wmp and v.v - you cannot do that with an ipod, it'll wipe the ipod clean. and in my opinion, from others experience, an ipod is only built to last a couple of years max.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Are Ipod's more durable than they used to be? I have visions of me breaking one!

I got my 30gb ipod video back in aug/sep 2005 and it's still going strong (I have had to replace the earphones, though), not had any problems with it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
with the archos i can take any music off a friends p.c through wmp and v.v - you cannot do that with an ipod, it'll wipe the ipod clean.

Is it possible that's simply because autosync was on? I've never had that trouble with other people connecting ipods or mp3 players to my computer.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

A friend of mine had an Iriver about 4 years ago and I remember it being really good and durable, but they don't seem to be as prominent as they once were.

I dropped my 6th gen ipod nano on the pavement the other day (sorry dad!), and it carried on playing. Haven't had any problems with it at all. I like itunes as well, it has it's shortcomings, but is easy to use, and you can import songs from amazon mp3 which saves loads of money.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
also, i would only EVER recommend one that uses the generic windows media player and would steer well clear of itunes in particular. with the archos i can take any music off a friends p.c through wmp and v.v - you cannot do that with an ipod, it'll wipe the ipod clean.

Incorrect - this is only if you have an option ticked in iTunes called "Automatically sync".

Don't tick that if you want to use more than one PC/Mac with your iPod. If you DO only use the one place to charge/update your iPod, DO tick that and then all the work is done for you.

I've owned 4 iPods and never had one break on me, the reason I've had so many is I've sold my old ones on and upgraded. The one I have currently should last me at least 4-5 years.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I got this

Sony NWZ-S639FB 16GB Drag Photo

I got it for £95, though could have got it for £80. More expensive now on Amazon but might be cheaper elsewhere.

Sound is a lot better than an ipod and I can download iplayer stuff to it. I've kept Itunes though as in my opinion it is the best os you can get for mp3 etc. Was a bit apprehensive to make the move away from an ipod but glad i did.

Admittedly the headphones that come with an iPod are cack. Get them replaced and sound quality is fine. Plus depends what you choose to rip your CDs at/download files at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here