Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recollections of past games against Cardiff?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
1-0 at Ninian Park in 1976/7 (I think); travelled there on a Seagull Special.

Overhead kick from Mellor who was close to the goal-line on the edge of the six yard box. Looped over the GK into the net, a complete fluke and, from memory, just about our effort on goal throughout.

played in green that day

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
remember walking back to the car at Ninian happened to end up in a group of sheepshagers checking all the motors out,so we ended up walking straight pass ours :lol:

Chelsea sacked the place back in the day,the remnants of the Cardiff boyos took their last stand under the main stand

back at the Goldstone remember singing "there's only one maggie thatcher" when all the pits were getting closed

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Sometime in the mid 70s, being chased through Hove Park by 3 Cardiff supporters, getting a bit of a slap and having my Albion ripped off me! Oh happy days!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The away win in about February 2013 (I think). We were under huge pressure on the pitch, then nicked a goal- which I think Bozza, in time honoured tradition, missed due to being either in the bar queue or the toilet.

I *think* he was around for the second, clinching goal late on, promptly greeted by much Albion twirling of the free red scarves that Cardiff had been generously dishing out to fans that night.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
I remember going there in the 1977/78 season, in the old Division 2. We lost 1-0. Horrible dump, horrible fans, horrible day. Two Cardiff tw*ts decided to have a piss right next to my girlfriend. When we left Ninian Park the locals' modus operandi would be to top your ankles in order to get a response. Needless to say an English accented "WTF do you think you're doing!" reply would light the blue touch paper. I seem to remember that "tunnel" too.

On a brighter note, after we beat Port Vale in the final game of 2001/02, we stopped off at Corley services on the M6. A bunch of Cardiff fans came over to have a chat and congratulated us on being Champions. I prefer that occasion as my abiding memory of Cardiff City.

as opposed to meeting a coach load of them on the way up at a service station of which the name i forget ! it had the potential to be very nasty

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The away win in about February 2013 (I think). We were under huge pressure on the pitch, then nicked a goal- which I think Bozza, in time honoured tradition, missed due to being either in the bar queue or the toilet.

I *think* he was around for the second, clinching goal late on, promptly greeted by much Albion twirling of the free red scarves that Cardiff had been generously dishing out to fans that night.

Great moment. I was up in the Cardiff Stand Orlandi and was it Spanish Dave in the last 5 minutes?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I remember in the 70s a couple of cardiff lads running onto the Goldstone pitch just before the game (or was it half-time?) and held up a welsh flag in the centre circle and the police seemed to just let them - fearing more trouble on the terraces I suppose. Went to Ninian Park mid 70s and just before the end of the game we had 20-30 Cardiff lads come around us (there were 4 of us) and began telling us what they were going to do to us after the game. When the final whistle went we jumped over the wall onto the pitch and we nipped down the players tunnel (one of us used to play for Brighton reserves and knew the players very well) and we went through to the street that way.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
If it's possible to have a favourite defeat, then my favourite defeat was a home game against Cardiff in the early to mid 90's. We started off at a blistering pace and went one up inside the first ten minutes or so. We continued being the better side right up until they equalised(with a penalty, I think). Scoring seemed to give them a massive psychological boost as they then steam rollered us for the next hour or so, opening up a five goal lead. Then with the game seemingly won Cardiff eased up and we started getting back into it. Nogan scored twice in the last ten minutes or so to make the final score BHA 3 Cardiff 5. A very entertaining game.

I remember that one...because it's one of the very few times in my Albion-supporting life that I've left a match well before the end. But I'm sure we were 0-4 down at the time!!

P.S. used to love the home games vs Cardiff at Withdean. One of the few times there was actually an atmosphere created at that ground, plus we always seemed to play well, and Bobby always seemed to score! Same again tomorrow please

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I remember in the 70s a couple of cardiff lads running onto the Goldstone pitch just before the game (or was it half-time?) and held up a welsh flag in the centre circle and the police seemed to just let them - fearing more trouble on the terraces I suppose. Went to Ninian Park mid 70s and just before the end of the game we had 20-30 Cardiff lads come around us (there were 4 of us) and began telling us what they were going to do to us after the game. When the final whistle went we jumped over the wall onto the pitch and we nipped down the players tunnel (one of us used to play for Brighton reserves and knew the players very well) and we went through to the street that way.

You've got a red sheep, on your flag

Resounding around the chicken run when they ran in the pitch

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Despite going to the 5-0 my distant memories of Cardiff are their choir in the sixties and the very dodgy penalty we won in the last season at the Goldstone.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Just a couple of seasons ago on a weekday evening.

3-1 to us, we were indeed "****ing brilliant" and Marcos Painter got booked for performing the 'swim away' to the home fans :lol:

A great evening. Painter's "swim away" was amusing as he was an ex-Swansea player, although very few of the away fans at the time realised the significance of it! I was working in Cardiff at that time and lent 3 of my work colleagues (Spurs, Birmingham and Everton supporters) a Brighton shirt each to wear to the game. We sat in the away end as close as possible to the home fans singing anti-Welsh songs and doing the Posnan after each of our goals.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Winning 2-0 in the last season at The Goldstone then watching 150 Welsh bully boys getting legged by BHA across Hove Park ( they were on the bully all day even smashed up a couple of pubs)

They were all drugged up In the Hove Park Tavern before the game not pretty bunch.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A great evening. Painter's "swim away" was amusing as he was an ex-Swansea player, although very few of the away fans at the time realised the significance of it! I was working in Cardiff at that time and lent 3 of my work colleagues (Spurs, Birmingham and Everton supporters) a Brighton shirt each to wear to the game. We sat in the away end as close as possible to the home fans singing anti-Welsh songs and doing the Posnan after each of our goals.

I'll be totally honest and admit that I had no clue why Cardiff fans down the other end on the same side as us kept going mental. I assumed it was just because we were spanking them. I only learnt exactly what went on and the swim away thing the next day I think, probably like most of our away support that night.

Was a great night. I got home to bed at around 4am I think and had to be up for work the next day just at 6.30am. Was well worth it though.

Jan 30, 2008
I remember going there in the 1977/78 season, in the old Division 2. We lost 1-0. Horrible dump, horrible fans, horrible day. Two Cardiff tw*ts decided to have a piss right next to my girlfriend. When we left Ninian Park the locals' modus operandi would be to top your ankles in order to get a response. Needless to say an English accented "WTF do you think you're doing!" reply would light the blue touch paper. I seem to remember that "tunnel" too.

On a brighter note, after we beat Port Vale in the final game of 2001/02, we stopped off at Corley services on the M6. A bunch of Cardiff fans came over to have a chat and congratulated us on being Champions. I prefer that occasion as my abiding memory of Cardiff City.
Unlike the incident on the way up to Port vale:whistle:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
as opposed to meeting a coach load of them on the way up at a service station of which the name i forget ! it had the potential to be very nasty
yeah ,someone could have spilt their tea and ended up with egg on their face:thumbsup:
regards
DR

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
2001, Cardiff fans throwing stones at us in the car park after the game. There'd been a netted fence set up between the fans in the stand, which seemed like an idea guaranteed to make bellends chuck things. This was during the period when Sam Hammam was encouraging their fans to be violent.

Think they were one of the teams we beat 1-0 during the winning run in the last season at the Goldstone. Probably from either a Storer goal or cross. What I wouldn't have done for him and his bicycle shorts in those ten games or so.

Last edited:

Only one I can recall was at Withdean, possibly the first Title season. Cardiff midfield generously managed to pass the ball to Zamora who ran in goal and scored and that is how the score remained I believe. Of course I could have got it all wrong and it wasn't like that at all or was a different team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here