Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading v M'Boro Thread

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It just feels like we have been on the back foot all season and the word that sums it up for me is frustrating. We have had a hangover from last seasons, the terrible run of injuries, a manager learning the division and about his players, a frustrating transfer window where for one reason or another we did not secure our targets. It has never felt easy but we have hung in there but not had enough to push on to where we all wanted to be.

I was worried about Oscar as up until recently he was persisting with a setup and starting 11 that was both negative and uninspiring to watch. However I believe over the last few weeks Oscar has shown more attacking intent even if the players have not always translated that into the performance and results we all wanted.

It's hard to shake the frustration and see beyond the disappointment (if we do as I suspect fall short this season) but I think if would be crazy to consider anything other than backing garcia this summer. Let's see what can be achieved in the summer with a full season under his belt and hope we have a more trouble free season next time around.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Rubbish. We play better against the better sides because they come out and attack us, whereas the poorer sides defend deep and we don't have the midfield prowess to break them down. If the players/management were unprofessional and unmotivated QPR, Leicester and Burnley would've murdered us.

Ask yourself one question,,,why are the teams at the bottom of the table where they are???....Answer, because they are not very good and most of the teams above them beat them. Hence why they are at the bottom of the table..Barnsley and Blackpool have two of the worst defencive records in this league, yet we managed 3 goals against them over four games. The most ironic thing of all, is we managed to take three points off Blackpool when they were in far better form and away from home...It's been the home form that has been such a let down.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Blimey long thread.

Think we'll really challenge next season with a good summer in our new changing rooms. Missing out on the playoffs would be far from a disaster.

edit: training ground!!!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Blimey long thread.

Think we'll really challenge next season with a good summer in our new changing rooms. Missing out on the playoffs would be far from a disaster.

Ironically, not getting to the play offs is arguably better than losing in them. Gives us more time to plan for next season. Obviously I'm not hoping for that but as said above, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Can't say I'm in my 47th year - only my 18th year (I'm 27).

Some will put most of the blame on the players, some will put most of the blame on the manager. I'm the latter.

I find it difficult to blame the manager when 90% of the time when we have a corner or free kick, it is over hit or doesn't get past the first man. I also find it hard to blame Oscar when we scuff or slice our shots on goal. I cannot even blame him for not being able to pass or control the ball. There are many things a manager shouldn't have to teach, they are footballers not children.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Ask yourself one question,,,why are the teams at the bottom of the table where they are???....Answer, because they are not very good and most of the teams above them beat them. Hence why they are at the bottom of the table..Barnsley and Blackpool have two of the worst defencive records in this league, yet we managed 3 goals against them over four games. The most ironic thing of all, is we managed to take three points off Blackpool when they were in far better form and away from home...It's been the home form that has been such a let down.

Our home form this season has been dreadful and has cost us big time

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

We've struggled for goals against most sides, top, middle and bottom. The reasons for that are clear as daylight, and are the same reasons as to why we look more like scoring against teams that play an attacking and open game, from Leicester at one end to Charlton at the other. The home form has suffered for exactly that reason - most teams come and sit deep and pack the midfield to stop us playing. Teams with more firepower than us struggle at home in those circumstances.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I've been Reading (sic) this and other threads with interest. This one, not least because of the significance of this game on our (let's face it - very slim) chance of 6th place, come the end of the season.
I would love to apportion blame on OG, FFP, TB, PB and all the other initials that you can think of, but can only suggest one thing: The players.
Many years ago, I was a reasonably useful player (at college and subsequent midweek league level), wasn't being paid, and played for the pure joy of playing football. Part of that joy was to go out and give my all, every single match, with the desire to beat whichever team we were up against.
I needed no motivation from a coach/manager, although that is not to say I/we just went gung-ho at every game. Of course tactics played a significant part. That said, when it came to the crunch - as in a shot at a title/promotion/trophy.....sometimes tactics were put aside (to a point!) and you showed your intent from THE START - as Reading appear to have done tonight.
Sadly, Brighton have not shown that spirit - again - and we look to be the 'nearly men' for the second year in a row.
Do I blame OG? No.
I blame the lack of passion and killer instinct.
6th spot was ours - we only had to reach out and take it.
That said, all the remaining fixtures will go in our favour and we'll thrash Yeovil and Forest and end up 6th. Stranger things have (and will again) happen in this league.
Ciao. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here