Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading v M'Boro Thread

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Trouble is some fans expect us to win every game and then bellyache when we don't. They don't seem to realise that there is not much between 70% of this division and anyone can beat anyone.

Problem for me is the way we whimper to a loss, draw or even a win.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Problem for me is the way we whimper to a loss, draw or even a win.

Did you join NSC in 2004 in preparation for your starting to watch the Albion in 2011 at the Amex? Can only be the right explanation for such OTT expectations...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yeovil. the team that we couldn't even get a shot on target against?

We'll ignore the fact that we barely had any forwards available for that game, shall we?

This is a very true but regardless of whether we'd decided to field the under-17 girls team, you'd expect us to have had at least one shot on target? Injuries are a reasonable excuse but to promise direct attacking performances and deliver zero attempts on target against strugglers Yeovil.. it's a difficult one to defend IMO.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Don't ATTEMPT to patronise me. I made a throw away comment about boro being twats for not doing us a favour & u and another poster choose to take it for something it isn't and have a pop at the Albion. Think you need to channel your frustrations somewhere else.

I'm not patronising you. You posted that some can't accept losing and to chill out ffs. I never mentioned us winning losing or drawing I questioned the entertainment. From that view point we haven't done well because we are so boring.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It really does amaze me how some posters can be so blind to the obvious.

This season irrelevant of our current position or where we end up has been so boring.

I don't want to hear the head coach on the radio telling me, who's just witnessed yet another tedious game, that we done enough to win but because of the lack of Harveys or special pies we yet again failed.

Football exists as a profession to entertain, our team in the main doesn't. We are boring.

I hope amongst hope before every game, win lose or draw, that I'm going to be excited, infused, exhilarated, nervous or whatever. Within minutes of the game starting it's the same sinking feeling. It's so bloody tedious.

I shouldn't need the coach to be telling me how or why we should be doing this, that or the other, I should be witnessing it for myself.

There's no passion, no drive, no purpose, no instruction, nothing. How we find ourselves in the position we're in, in the league only tells me how inconsistent everyone is not how good they or we all are.

Yes we've had injuries but that's no excuse for the Blackpool game. Where was the coach , the assistant coach, the captain berating the players for not upping the tempo? Allowing a disjointed team such as Blackpool the time, the space to dictate the speed of the game and that's from the off. Shocking.

Some posters have mentioned desire, commitment, drive. We appear to be lacking that in abundance from the coaching staff through to the players. I question the true desire of some of team. Upson will play through pain not sure about many others. We're light weights.

There's been a desire for the English game to adjust, to become more skilful, more technical but but we shouldn't lose what makes the leagues strong, the reason we have so many decent club sides with good followings in the country. It's not going back to kick and rush but the reason English League football is watched the World over is because it's exciting. Something we are not.

You've raised a point I have been making recently. Gordon Greer just does not seem to lead the team on the pitch. We need a Nobby Horton type of captain to inspire.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This is a very true but regardless of whether we'd decided to field the under-17 girls team, you'd expect us to have had at least one shot on target? Injuries are a reasonable excuse but to promise direct attacking performances and deliver zero attempts on target against strugglers Yeovil.. it's a difficult one to defend IMO.

Not really. It happened under Poyet e.g. Watford away two seasons ago. I'm sure you justified it then. Maybe just try to look at it fairly.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Did you join NSC in 2004 in preparation for your starting to watch the Albion in 2011 at the Amex? Can only be the right explanation for such OTT expectations...

Picked the wrong chap there matey boy.

Started watching us under Peter Taylor 1974

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm not patronising you. You posted that some can't accept losing and to chill out ffs. I never mentioned us winning losing or drawing I questioned the entertainment. From that view point we haven't done well because we are so boring.

Does this mean you would prefer us to be bottom having entertained more? Personally, I go to Brighton matches to see us win. Yes, I want to be entertained but I'd rather win an awful 1-0 than lose a great 4-3. That's what most people who support a team say. Do you disagree?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Picked the wrong chap there matey boy.

Started watching us under Peter Taylor 1974

I wasn't suggesting you were a new fan for a minute... I was suggesting your expectations were similar to one

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Does this mean you would prefer us to be bottom having entertained more? Personally, I go to Brighton matches to see us win. Yes, I want to be entertained but I'd rather win an awful 1-0 than lose a great 4-3. That's what most people who support a team say. Do you disagree?

If say BHA are still one of the most entertaining teams?! Maybe not so much away but compared to other games on Sky I think we re pretty entertaining?! Again, it doesn't bother me how 'entertaining' we are though - I go to football to watch the team I love win at all costs. Not to be 'entertained' like I'm at the circus! As it happens BHA also have a football philosophy to play the passing game now too 

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Not really. It happened under Poyet e.g. Watford away two seasons ago. I'm sure you justified it then. Maybe just try to look at it fairly.

:wozza: I do! That was a crap performance too. Can you admit that much? Can you admit, when we failed to have a single shot on target against Yeovil, you were slightly disappointed?! Or did you come away thinking, "Great. That was well worth the match ticket."

I'm not one of those that think the sun shines out of Poyet's behind BTW. In fact I often accused him of not having a plan B. Just because I'm not Team Oscar doesn't mean I'm a massively pro-Gus man. I know that'd make it easier. Take a look at that reply I gave you earlier. About OG not playing to Ulloas strengths, about our overall approach. I noted you hadn't got around to replying to that. Maybe just try and look at what I'm saying fairly.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Of course I want us to win but I also want entertainment and apart from a few (far too few) games we have not entertained. I don't know if you were around for the Bailey era? Trust me that was more entertainment than this season.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
You've raised a point I have been making recently. Gordon Greer just does not seem to lead the team on the pitch. We need a Nobby Horton type of captain to inspire.

I agree he's not in the Nobby Horton leagues, but I actually think Greer brings an awful lot to the captaincy that perhaps isn't immediately obvious. His professionalism, his organisation, his approach to training etc. He'll never be a Nobby Horton, but he's not a bad captain.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
:wozza: I do! That was a crap performance too. Can you admit that much? Can you admit, when we failed to have a single shot on target against Yeovil, you were slightly disappointed?! Or did you come away thinking, "Great. That was well worth the match ticket."

I'm not one of those that think the sun shines out of Poyet's behind BTW. In fact I often accused him of not having a plan B. Just because I'm not Team Oscar doesn't mean I'm a massively pro-Gus man. I know that'd make it easier. Take a look at that reply I gave you earlier. About OG not playing to Ulloas strengths, about our overall approach. I noted you hadn't got around to reply to that. Maybe just try and look at what I'm saying fairly.

Except you're not looking at it fairly. You seem to ignore that we've lost a lot of what helped us play to Ulloa's strengths. I don't think it can be pointed out enough how much we've missed Orlandi. He was key to Poyet's system and Lopez worked well with him. Without them we've struggled with the final ball.

I'm going to give up and go to bed now so I will leave you with a couple of questions. Do you really believe 7th is a failure this year? Do you think Oscar deserves a chance to bring his own players in? Do you think the injuries have had more of an impact than previous seasons?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree he's not in the Nobby Horton leagues, but I actually think Greer brings an awful lot to the captaincy that perhaps isn't immediately obvious. His professionalism, his organisation, his approach to training etc. He'll never be a Nobby Horton, but he's not a bad captain.

Doesn't appear to motivate on the pitch much though.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm going to give up and go to bed now so I will leave you with a couple of questions. Do you really believe 7th is a failure this year? Do you think Oscar deserves a chance to bring his own players in? Do you think the injuries have had more of an impact than previous seasons?

Do you really believe 7th is a failure this year? A failure? No. A disappointment after finishing 4th last year? Yes.
Do you think Oscar deserves a chance to bring his own players in? Difficult. From what I've seen of his football, I'm not overly fussed if he gets the opportunity to build his team.
Do you think the injuries have had more of an impact than previous seasons? Yes they have, but it doesn't excuse the lackluster performances we've seen pretty much all season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Of course I want us to win but I also want entertainment and apart from a few (far too few) games we have not entertained. I don't know if you were around for the Bailey era? Trust me that was more entertainment than this season.

I wasn't. I was born that year. But it's not been awful. Frustrating at times, yes but there's only been a few games where I'd say it was terrible. I'm sure given the chance to bring in his own players, he will be more attacking next year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here