Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading FC - polite warning

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
See, there is hope, even if you do have to live in Reading (for which you have my deepest sympathy). Went by car to the last game, you can't even escape the bloody place quickly. Junior played at a football tournament there several years ago in their indoor school - the manager of what I think was the most local team (Eldon Celtic ??) was an arrogant gobby ****. Beat them in the final and brought 'their' trophy back to Sussex :lol:

My team played Eldon Celtic first team in the Berks & Bucks Cup last season, that was an experience. I think they must be a team for ex-convicts or something, they were utter wankers just intent on kicking the shit out of us.

Walked into the changing rooms and they were smoking weed in there before kick-off, bizarrely, and I'm pretty sure the pitch didn't have a single blade of grass on it. They were 1-0 up at half-time and were swinging punches at each other, manager and all.

We were told by one of the locals before kick-off that we'd better hope we don't win or we wouldn't make it out of there alive :lolol: We did lose so it was ok.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But why? People say it's horrible but no-one ever says why. It's a decent size (about the same as B&H), it's got some good pubs and is on two rivers, so there are plenty of riverside walks. And there's some excellent countryside in the surrounding area - good place, all in all.

If you want to see some horrible towns head off down the motorway, in either direction, and take in Bracknell, Swindon and Slough

Why?

It has an endless profusion of grim 60s architecture.
The traffic is permanently gridlocked.
It is completely flat (something I really hate in a town)

In fact I've always found it to be very much like Slough and Swindon, but bigger.

It has to be one of the most characterless large towns in the south of England.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
But why? People say it's horrible but no-one ever says why. It's a decent size (about the same as B&H), it's got some good pubs and is on two rivers, so there are plenty of riverside walks. And there's some excellent countryside in the surrounding area - good place, all in all.

If you want to see some horrible towns head off down the motorway, in either direction, and take in Bracknell, Swindon and Slough

Fair point , well made. It is true that all the high street names and shops are conveniently located. There is no doubt also that Reading is geographically well-placed. I'm not saying this is not of benefit.
But if you look closer at Reading, the architecture, the people, the lack of sub-cultures, it points to soullessness. There are rivers, but the town planners don't know how to make the most of them. And the people don't appreciate their (misdirected) attempts to improve the city generally. I see it all the time.
I don't have to live in Reading, that is true. I'm here because it suits where my wife and I work. But when I come back to B&H I notice the difference. Brighton's far from perfect but there is an open mindedness and openness to creativity that you just don't get in places like Reading.

In Reading it's all about practicality, at the expense of character and art. To be fair, I can't blame Reading or its people solely for that. It's just a product of what's happening in modern society imho. And we're generally worse off for it.

As most people picked up on, my first post at the top of the thread, was tongue in cheek, but sadly this one I write with a straight face.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My team played Eldon Celtic first team in the Berks & Bucks Cup last season, that was an experience. I think they must be a team for ex-convicts or something, they were utter wankers just intent on kicking the shit out of us.

Walked into the changing rooms and they were smoking weed in there before kick-off, bizarrely, and I'm pretty sure the pitch didn't have a single blade of grass on it. They were 1-0 up at half-time and were swinging punches at each other, manager and all.

We were told by one of the locals before kick-off that we'd better hope we don't win or we wouldn't make it out of there alive :lolol: We did lose so it was ok.

Sounds about right - this must have been their offspring........

Philbag70

Dec 19, 2015
Battle, 1066 country

Not exactly the M4 corridor, but i'd like to add the centre of Yeovil to your list of crap places to avoid. The Quedam shopping 'centre' is soooooo depressing. A sort of 1980's version of the old Churchill Sq

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The smuggest club in the league. *

Already been managed by Smug Alan, and Smug Nigel. Surely Smug Eddie's next job.

* Oh the Irony

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Perhaps she hooked up with you hoping you would take her out of there. Sort it out man

Believe me I have tried. The problem is that all of her family live nearby. I have found us a house that we are pretty close to move to and it is in a countryside village away from Reading. Its still an RG postcode but it is a start!

See, there is hope, even if you do have to live in Reading (for which you have my deepest sympathy). Went by car to the last game, you can't even escape the bloody place quickly. Junior played at a football tournament there several years ago in their indoor school - the manager of what I think was the most local team (Eldon Celtic ??) was an arrogant gobby ****. Beat them in the final and brought 'their' trophy back to Sussex :lol:

Pretty sure that they are based in, or at least get a lot of their players from, a place called Whitley. It is well renowned for being a bit of a hole - even by Readings standards. We played their senior team a few years back and they were swigging bottles of Stella at half time and then in the second half threw a few onto the pitch as our players ran passed. Also played another game in Whitley where we had to walk the pitch before hand to get shattered glass off it (rumored to have been put there by the opposition for when people tried to slide tackle them - classy)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Reading might actually have benefited from Robert Maxwell's proposed merger with Oxford United. It would have made them in some way interesting.

#coytvr!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is this in fact the smuggest thread of all time ? You have to laugh !

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Why?

It has an endless profusion of grim 60s architecture.
The traffic is permanently gridlocked.
It is completely flat (something I really hate in a town)

In fact I've always found it to be very much like Slough and Swindon, but bigger.

It has to be one of the most characterless large towns in the south of England.
Basingstoke wins hands down.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Perhaps she hooked up with you hoping you would take her out of there. Sort it out man

Basingstoke wins hands down.

I don't know, Basingstoke at least has a few things to do

It also has nicknames which show some character - Basingjoke, Amazingstoke

I also want to open a Chinese there as following a drunken chat with friends I came up with the name Beijingstoke for a restaurant which I quite like

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Now now lad! There's nowt wrong with t'Blackburn....... Now them there racist homophobes at t'Burnley's another matter entirely - fookin' hate 'em!

Blackburn fans are actually alright. It's the club I dislike. Saw them play Arsenal at Highbury years ago and they ended up scoring an equaliser following a bit of unsporting conduct. Scoundrels.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just to play devils advocate for a moment . . .

Whilst not liking the town of Reading in any way, it could be said that certain similarities do exist between the two football clubs, both left their delapidated old grounds for much grander pastures new, (in our case of course via Priestfield and Withdean), both Reading and the Albion have spent the greater part of their existence in the lower leagues, being promoted through the divisions at a similar stage, and both towns, or in our case city, are of a very similar size. similar sizes.

Could it be that these similarities breed jealousy on both sides, and it's that jealousy thats breeds our mutual dislike of one another?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I don't know, Basingstoke at least has a few things to do

It also has nicknames which show some character - Basingjoke, Amazingstoke

I also want to open a Chinese there as following a drunken chat with friends I came up with the name Beijingstoke for a restaurant which I quite like
Don't forget Basinggrad ,only for the football ground on account of it's so cold there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here