Reading away - Boxing Day

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
There always used to be trains on Boxing Day - I used to get to quite a few matches by train.
Not running on Boxing Day only started a few (maybe 10 or so) years ago.

There always used to be trains on Boxing Day - I used to get to quite a few matches by train.
Not running on Boxing Day only started a few (maybe 10 or so) years ago.

Longer ago than that but you are right, it is a recent'ish occurance.

Incidentally a warning. Several pubs normally visited tend to shut on boxing day and there will be few if any buses running. Last year reading buses offered their drivers such shit payment for working that none of them agreed to work, not even for the special hire services which lots of pubs run to the ground. Taxis will be few and far between and will be charging a damn sight more than normal so expect to pay at least £15 for the taxi ride to the game from the town centre.

One pub which should be open and is quite welcoming to away fans is the Nags Head on Russell Street - decent beer and cider as well for those who like that sort of stuff. Not sure if the Hobgoblin, now renamed incidentally, will be open or not. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. The Allied Arms in St Mary Butts usually does open boxing day for a while at least.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If it's anything like last Boxing Day it'll be car as far as Patcham, fill up with petrol, check bbc website, turn round, go back to pub, get completely rat arsed :thumbsup:

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I'm gutted to be missing this one. My gf lives in Bracknell & has lots of Reading supporting family so was planning on going up for crimbo which would've been perfect for Boxing day. However i have to work boxing day now so everythings been buggered up.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
You can always get the National Express coach service from Brighton to Reading (Calcot). Change at Gatwick. £56.50 day return. And a taxi to and from the ground. Only £45 with a Coachcard discount.

Or give me a tenner and jump in my car :D

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
rubbish, i live right in the middle of the line from paddington to reading/oxford! just got my ticket and didnt realise there would not be trains, may have to get taxi now, going to be a fortune! unless i stand on junciton 7 of the m4 with a sign saying reading :p

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Initial allocation is only 2000.

that's cos BHA have to buy the tickets off Reading. if we sell out the initial 2,000 (hahahahahahahaa no chance) then Reading can sell BHA the other half of the allocation.

One pub which should be open and is quite welcoming to away fans is the Nags Head on Russell Street - decent beer and cider as well for those who like that sort of stuff. Not sure if the Hobgoblin, now renamed incidentally, will be open or not. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. The Allied Arms in St Mary Butts usually does open boxing day for a while at least.

Good pub choices. The nags is my local and a fine pub it is too.

They run a special hire service for footy normally, but dont know if running on boxing day and as a pub a little out the way from the station etc... its a trek back to any of the normal modes of transport (or ~50min walk to the ground - no way!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports