Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ - We need more players…….

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
£70k pw really isn't very much in the grand scheme of things.

Milner’s fine as part of a CM three.

He’s loathed for being a useless RB. That’s RDZ’s call and patently an error. At 37 players don’t have the legs for full back. A year older Young was taken apart by Diaz yesterday, Young resorted to hacking down and early red card. Whereas God (Joel Veltman) did a great job on Diaz.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
It is a bit of a dumb thing for him to say publicly before the window opens. It won't help us get the players in as people will be even more aware we need players and raise prices. Why would he actively hurt his chances of expanding the squad?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
To be fair, most of us on here said we didn’t have enough defenders, specifically FBs. We have one true LB in Estupinan and one true RB (who’s probably more a RWB) in Lamptey, both injured. Veltman is a great option, Milner isn’t. That’s the main problem now.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It is a bit of a dumb thing for him to say publicly before the window opens. It won't help us get the players in as people will be even more aware we need players and raise prices. Why would he actively hurt his chances of expanding the squad?
Agreed, I fear this is the start of his exit strategy

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The thing that RDZ says most often in press conferences is that we need to learn and improve. To me, the large number of changes are a part of his strategy to help his playing squad do this. Verbruggen, Milner, Igor, Dahoud, Baleba, Adringra, Moder, Pedro and Fati are all new to the RDZ way. Some of these, as well as Ferguson, Enciso, Buonanotte and Hinshelwood are U21s. That's half of the squad that need to get up to his high standards very quickly if they are going to be valuable to him as the season progresses. The changes are to give everyone game time because they are going to need it if the squad is to reach his high targets for the season. Of the 14 other squad members, six (Estupinan, Webster, Lamptey, Lallana, and now March & Welbeck) are either injured or coming back from injury.

By the way, without these new challenges, and without the extra games from European competition, after nine games last season we were seventh, the same position we are in now, with two less points and a GD of one less. This squad is learning on the job and, whilst doing so, they are exceeding any expectations we would ever have had before the second half of last season. RDZ is playing the long game. With less time on the training pitch, he is actually trying to use competitive games to develop his squad.

The old cliche is that it's a marathon not a sprint. However, even in a long distance race, a sprint finish is a great asset. It's my view that our manager is doing what he can now to try to best equip his squad for a sprint finish later. He hasn't made any comments about the new players other than saying that he is lucky that his club finds him good players and that they need to learn quickly. He's not been so lucky with recent injuries. However, contrary to some posts in this thread, he's shown no indication that he's insistent that the club spends and he shows far more dissatisfaction with any poor performance than he does with any poor result.

There should be no talk of RDZ ever being Poyet and talking of hitting the ceiling. Whatever happens from here, we are already Charlie Bucket in the great glass elevator and Bloom is our Wonka who's hit the button labelled 'Up & Out'. We're at home to bloody Ajax on Thursday! Just hold on tight and remember Micky's advice: Keep the Faith.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
......... The club is doing well. But we can only occasionally peep through the ceiling at times. I'm really happy with what is happening out there at the moment, but it won't always be like this. Perspective.
When he talks about the need for players and the hard slog they have ahead it is always put into the context of "if we are to achieve our goal" . So i am guessing that means a top four finish. If this is the case then he is speaking truthfully and correctly

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
How many changes did villa and West Ham make today ?we are making too many

Villa and West Ham playing their mostly settled first team today. Do we have less players than either of them? You can pick the Villa team each week without knowing much about them.
To me its clear he's playing a long game. Giving the whole squad minutes and giving lots of rest should pay off during the long run-in to the end of the season. I think you can only judge what he's doing now, and compare with Villa and West Ham, during the final third of the season.

Take Villa away, currently one of the four hardest away days in the premier league. You can play your first team, like West Ham did, and still lose 4-1. Heavily rotate and rest and lose 6-1, hey if we finish a goal on goal difference behind West Ham at the season's end then fair enough we can point at team selection.

City away much the same, also one of the four hardest away days, yes we could perhaps have got a result but the odds are stacked. Its not a game we need to be getting something out of to hit our targets.

RDZ is pleading for more players because he WANTS to rotate, because he wants to challenge in Europe. But these injuries are making it harder to do so. There was perhaps excessive loaning out of players, would be nice to have Offiah here, Ayari, Peupion, Weir, Leonard, Moran, to fill that bench. But I guess we're playing the long game with them too. But I don't think he's complaining about the number of players he's been given, its more just a cry to the gods, a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
People are going WAY over the top, in reaction to this.

"Won't end well". "The start of his exit strategy" :rolleyes:

He said we need more players. We have a stack of injuries. RIGHT NOW we do need more players available - that much is self-evident :shrug:

It's not really acceptable for him to say this. He said the squad was fine at the beginning of the season. We have had no more injuries than other clubs in the epl. I've found him a bit whiney the last few weeks.

I also think he was a bit more humble when he joined us. Is he starting to believe his own hype ? I can't blame him tbh the amount of smoke blown up his ass by pundits is ridiculous
Nah my sympathies with RDZ on this. I'm no fan boy of his, I think he's rotated far too much this season but I can see one of the reasons why he's done this is injury prevention. We are definitely going to have to strengthen in January if the objective is Europe again. If the board feel midtable is OK given our finances I won't complain about that too much either, but will still be happy RDZ is fighting his corner as hard as he can

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Defending starts from the front. We can do an awful lot to reduce the number of goals we concede, by not giving the ball away cheaply and by pressing as a unit. Enciso has been a big miss in this regard and his performance at Wolves remains one of the season's highlights. He took a hell of a kicking, but still managed to keep the ball the majority of the time, his closing down was relentless add to that two sublime assists.

Please spare us the history re-writes regarding Alzate. He was only ever going to be a squad player and made it clear he wanted to play more football than that. Yes he may be a better option than what we have right now, but if the player wants out, there is no management guru in the world who can persuade them otherwise, without making promises which can't be kept.

The full back cover does seem a little bizarre. Jacob Slater who was signed over the summer is of a similar age and level of experience as Imari Samuels. Was one of these two supposed to be supplementing the first team squad? Will either make the bench on Thursday?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
People are going WAY over the top, in reaction to this.

"Won't end well". "The start of his exit strategy" :rolleyes:

He said we need more players. We have a stack of injuries. RIGHT NOW we do need more players available - that much is self-evident :shrug:
I must admit I thought it was more related to his missing players than needing a raft of new ones.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
RDZ is pleading for more players because he WANTS to rotate, because he wants to challenge in Europe. But these injuries are making it harder to do so. There was perhaps excessive loaning out of players, would be nice to have Offiah here, Ayari, Peupion, Weir, Leonard, Moran, to fill that bench. But I guess we're playing the long game with them too. But I don't think he's complaining about the number of players he's been given, its more just a cry to the gods, a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse.....
Not sure those youngsters are ready to help us at the moment. Since hs return from the illness that brought him back to Brighton for a week or two, Hearts fans have gone right off Offiah, big time. Weir should be back in January, as he's getting bu88er all game time at Blackpool, but whether that will be to stay here or go out on a better loan is anybody's guess (mine would be for a better loan).

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not sure those youngsters are ready to help us at the moment. Since hs return from the illness that brought him back to Brighton for a week or two, Hearts fans have gone right off Offiah, big time. Weir should be back in January, as he's getting bu88er all game time at Blackpool, but whether that will be to stay here or go out on a better loan is anybody's guess (mine would be for a better loan).
Youth team not looking too clever at the moment....but tbf how many ever come through the youth set up? Solly , dunk , Ferguson. And that's over 10 years +

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The thing that RDZ says most often in press conferences is that we need to learn and improve. To me, the large number of changes are a part of his strategy to help his playing squad do this. Verbruggen, Milner, Igor, Dahoud, Baleba, Adringra, Moder, Pedro and Fati are all new to the RDZ way. Some of these, as well as Ferguson, Enciso, Buonanotte and Hinshelwood are U21s. That's half of the squad that need to get up to his high standards very quickly if they are going to be valuable to him as the season progresses. The changes are to give everyone game time because they are going to need it if the squad is to reach his high targets for the season. Of the 14 other squad members, six (Estupinan, Webster, Lamptey, Lallana, and now March & Welbeck) are either injured or coming back from injury.

By the way, without these new challenges, and without the extra games from European competition, after nine games last season we were seventh, the same position we are in now, with two less points and a GD of one less. This squad is learning on the job and, whilst doing so, they are exceeding any expectations we would ever have had before the second half of last season. RDZ is playing the long game. With less time on the training pitch, he is actually trying to use competitive games to develop his squad.

The old cliche is that it's a marathon not a sprint. However, even in a long distance race, a sprint finish is a great asset. It's my view that our manager is doing what he can now to try to best equip his squad for a sprint finish later. He hasn't made any comments about the new players other than saying that he is lucky that his club finds him good players and that they need to learn quickly. He's not been so lucky with recent injuries. However, contrary to some posts in this thread, he's shown no indication that he's insistent that the club spends and he shows far more dissatisfaction with any poor performance than he does with any poor result.

There should be no talk of RDZ ever being Poyet and talking of hitting the ceiling. Whatever happens from here, we are already Charlie Bucket in the great glass elevator and Bloom is our Wonka who's hit the button labelled 'Up & Out'. We're at home to bloody Ajax on Thursday! Just hold on tight and remember Micky's advice: Keep the Faith.
Excellent post, that’s cheered me up no end.
i wish I could think like that from the get go, panic over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here