Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ - We need more players…….

Yeh it’s an unusual statement for a manager to make for a club that is widely perceived to be doing very well. Probably some pretty lively and interesting discussions going on behind the scenes at the club right now

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Post match interview yesterday RDZ made this statement. I think that is the first time he has made that type of statement in a public environment. This January might be a little different to the last few…..

Personally I’d love the club to make a move for Kalvin Phillips on loan.
It might be a bit late for that. We may only have the PL to play in by the second week of January.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I understand that the club is generally fishing in the futures market but I feel we could do with a couple of players who are ready right now.

Phillips would be a good shout but wages would be a problem, surely?
A Wayne Bridge type deal would be OK, surely (Manchester City paid most of his wages). Was never a great fan of Phillips (that haircut didn't help!) but thinking about it it would be a good move for him (game time), for us (we do look like we need a bit of shoring up in the defensive side of the game) and possibly for City too (success at Brighton in the PL puts him in the shop window leading to a better sale rice in the summer).
Yeh, I'm getting to like that idea!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It's not really acceptable for him to say this. He said the squad was fine at the beginning of the season. We have had no more injuries than other clubs in the epl. I've found him a bit whiney the last few weeks.

I also think he was a bit more humble when he joined us. Is he starting to believe his own hype ? I can't blame him tbh the amount of smoke blown up his ass by pundits is ridiculous

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Seeing as how we sold the Albion Midfield Family Silver last summer, and look to be gearing up to selling the Albion Attacking Family Silver next summer, would maybe make sense to start shoring up the leaky defence earlydoors. Else we may be about to enter a whole new Albion world of pain :down:
Indeed, we sell players that we've made premier league standard... and need to replace with similar if we want to maintain momentum.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's not really acceptable for him to say this. He said the squad was fine at the beginning of the season. We have had no more injuries than other clubs in the epl. I've found him a bit whiney the last few weeks.

I also think he was a bit more humble when he joined us. Is he starting to believe his own hype ? I can't blame him tbh the amount of smoke blown up his ass by pundits is ridiculous
I agree with this. We had enough players at the start of the season. We're not Chelsea and can't go out and just spend a gazillion pounds on anyone we want. You work with what you have. Tony's pockets will only go so deep to stroke our egos.

As RDZ says 'We are Brighton' (as he keeps saying). And most of us are happy to be. And we'll all be here long after he moves on.

I looked at the table yesterday, the teams around us and the potential they have. As well as the wonga some of them can spend. The club is doing well. But we can only occasionally peep through the ceiling at times. I'm really happy with what is happening out there at the moment, but it won't always be like this. Perspective.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
I have sympathy for him. At the point the window closed, compared to what he had available last season, he was given:

+8 to the squad - Verbruggen, Igor, Pedro, Dahoud, Baleba, Adingra, Milner, Fati

-7 from the squad - Sanchez, Colwill, Caicedo, MacAllister, Undav, Sarmiento, Enciso

In a season where we have lots more games, we needed to be +3 or +4 on numbers. +1 was never enough. We've only really got three injuries (Estupinan, Lamptey and March) and we look thin. If we'd added three more we wouldn't be.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have sympathy for him. At the point the window closed, compared to what he had available last season, he was given:

+8 to the squad - Verbruggen, Igor, Pedro, Dahoud, Baleba, Adingra, Milner, Fati

-7 from the squad - Sanchez, Colwill, Caicedo, MacAllister, Undav, Sarmiento, Enciso

In a season where we have lots more games, we needed to be +3 or +4 on numbers. +1 was never enough. We've only really got three injuries (Estupinan, Lamptey and March) and we look thin. If we'd added three more we wouldn't be.
And Enciso shirley? Or did I somehow miss that thing where he got transfered to Chelsea?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Clubs have been playing additional games in Europe for years and we have kown since end of season. I cant remember West Ham moaning last season and they played an additional 12 games. I am sure De Zerbi had option of not loaning out some of the players. Unfortunate but dont have much sympathy for RDZ May have lost players but he has spent about £80 on players I assume he wanted. Plus we have for years only had 1 LB and yet there are at least 2 ex youngsters playing there for decent level clubs.
Injuries always crop up with clubs and all have I think 25 in squad.
Our problem is we have two 37 year olds that wont play 2 games in a week and injury prone players in Lampty Webster and,Welbeck

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He’s not wrong trying to compete on two fronts is not working for us, injuries are pileing up and we have a weaker starting 11 than last season.

2 full backs and another midfielder at least needed.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
A Wayne Bridge type deal would be OK, surely (Manchester City paid most of his wages). Was never a great fan of Phillips (that haircut didn't help!) but thinking about it it would be a good move for him (game time), for us (we do look like we need a bit of shoring up in the defensive side of the game) and possibly for City too (success at Brighton in the PL puts him in the shop window leading to a better sale rice in the summer).
Yeh, I'm getting to like that idea!
What I'd come to say. 'Supposedly' we were only contributing 10k to his 100k a week wages. If a similar deal for Phillips were possible, snatch their arm off. There would obviously be a Premier League Premium given we're not lil ol Brighton muddling about in the championship anymore.

While we're at it, ask if they have any spare left backs knocking around seeing as we're looking a little effed in that position at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here