Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ - “we don’t need a striker in January”

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Was told that this would change when the "yes-saying gormless benny" was out but seems that RDZ agrees that the five striker options - Welbeck, Trossard, Undav, Enciso and Ferguson - are enough (or possibly more than enough as we could see Undav going on loan) for a team usually playing with just one central forward.

I think it is very reasonable and I'm happy to see that RDZ is another manager not crying on the floor because he won't have a new shiny toy to play with - I respect that. Of course if there's some dirty, dirty good striker around and available, the club will be very tempted, but there's no real "need" for it.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Adringa, Sima and Swiss Andy not exactly banging then in for fun abroad, so don’t expect any of them in the first team anytime soon, when back.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Adringa, Sima and Swiss Andy not exactly banging then in for fun abroad, so don’t expect any of them in the first team anytime soon, when back.
While you're probably right about Sima and Zeqiri, Adingra really isn't a striker (despite some appearances in that role) - more of a Solly March type.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Alternatively he could say we're absolutely desperate to buy a striker, we know that if we don't we won't qualify for Europe and we are determined to do that this season at any cost ... name your price.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We may not need a striker but we need more goalscorers. Whether that’s a striker, winger, attacking midfielder etc. is just semantics.

We’ve scored 31 goals in the last 18 league games. Almost certainly our strongest sustained period of goal scoring from all over the pitch since getting promoted.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sounds more like the party line to me. Maybe not in January but we need one next summer.
"Party line" and "party line"... those in football and those who watch football frequently have different views on subjects like this.

If you have a dull day at some point and want to venture into the archives, you'll find that on every single substantial silly season-thread on this forum - from 2003 onwards - you'll find someone saying "we must sign one or two new strikers".

Likewise, every single football forum is the same thing. "Need one or two new strikers up front", "lmao can't believe the club isn't signing another striker", "blah blah".

I think the thrill over a new player, especially one in a position that traditionally scores goals, frequently manifests itself through some kind of projection... they want their personal desire for a new striker also to be some kind of necessity for the club.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
We’ve scored 31 goals in the last 18 league games. Almost certainly our strongest sustained period of goal scoring from all over the pitch since getting promoted.
Pretty impressive when you say it like that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If we want to continue finishing in the top half, we need more goals across the whole team. We won't always be able to have 11 game winless runs and 6 game losing streaks in the same season and still finish in the top half like we did last season, and the way to prevent that is to score goals.

We're not going to sign a striker who score 20 goals a season, if we somehow luck into one, they will be bought by one of the big six before the start of the following season. So we need to get more goals from the rest of the team. From our defenders through midfield and wide players. At the moment we seem to be reliant on Trossard, whether he stays or goes, we need more contributions from the rest of the team.

Having said that, seeing Enciso last weekend was very promising, not afraid to shoot from distance, and those shots didn't look like they were going wildly off target, and even though he didn't score, it led to a goal from Gross following in after his shot.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Sadly I think January will be a sweat as to whether Trossard will be off. Bizarrely whilst not good for his confidence we could do with him having a quiet World Cup
well that's a call for the club to make if a bid comes in (which I imagine it will). but if the reason that we don't need a striker is because we have leo playing in that role, and then we sell him, obviously that changes the picture rather dramatically

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here