Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RATE Albion's transfer window

How do YOU rate Albion's transfer window?

• 10 (High)

Votes: 5 1.8%

Votes: 35 12.4%

Votes: 89 31.4%

Votes: 60 21.2%

Votes: 47 16.6%

Votes: 20 7.1%

Votes: 10 3.5%

• 1 (Low)

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

luge

Dec 18, 2010
8 for me. It would be a ten with an amazing striker in the works. But remember most of the positions we signed last season and loaned out. Mitoma and Undav look good. Gilmour is a great player.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Most transfer windows since 2017 have ended with the feeling that we need 1 more striker in the squad yet we continue to compete and have hardly spent anytime at all in the bottom 3 during those 5 years. We have sold 3 influential player from last season and replaced all 3 of those with first team replacements who will need time to show they are ready whilst making a significant profit. We have also moved on those who it seemed didn't have a future under Potter for various reasons. We have signed several promising players who could become the next big thing, all in all not much to be disappointed with.

boik

Potter made a mistake. It cost us dearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that football is the game for you if you think everything is black and white. It's a very nuanced game with lots of variables and another team on the pitch. You carry on knowing that a striker would definitely have won us the game. I'll carry on thinking that nobody knows.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
A decent transfer window, but as others have said the obvious missing piece of the jigsaw is a decent striker. In this window more than others, because of the Cucurella/Bissouma/Maupay money, I really thought we would have gone all out for that statement signing.

I guess the positive side is that our net spend is something like £85m profit, which keeps the clubs bank balance healthy. Wasn't the cost of the Amex £93m?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I'm not sure that football is the game for you if you think everything is black and white. It's a very nuanced game with lots of variables and another team on the pitch. You carry on knowing that a striker would definitely have won us the game. I'll carry on thinking that nobody knows.

So you agree with Potter's team selection then? Pretty obvious to anyone who saw the game he messed up. Obviously no guarantees, but he made a clear error.

JUst out of interest, were you there? (I was)...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The reason we were under pressure was because we had no outlet Fulham kept getting the ball, instead of going to a four we should of been braver and subbed Welbeck on. We’ve beat harder opponents already this season without a false 9 why we had to change negatively for Fulham only Potter knows. Waste of a game.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The reason we were under pressure was because we had no outlet Fulham kept getting the ball, instead of going to a four we should of been braver and subbed Welbeck on. We’ve beat harder opponents already this season without a false 9 why we had to change negatively for Fulham only Potter knows. Waste of a game.

Agreed. Doing it against Liverpool is one thing. Against Burnley was a mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
No guarantees the game would have been won with a striker.

Brighton has played with strikers previously and lost football games.

Worth remembering that we played a third of the Fulham game with pretty much 5 strikers (Welbeck, Mitoma, Gross, Trossard and March all buzzing around up front). It didn’t help.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
The evidence suggests that the club have a plan and know what they are doing. The football looks good most of the time now and the finances seem sounder than since the 70s. So, 7 from me, a first class transfer window especially with some of the previous year's transfers now in the squad.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think GP said in his Press Conference you have wait until the end of the season to judge. Which is right.

If we do ok without the marquee forward signing, then it's been great, if we lose games we shouldn't because no-one can stick the ball in the net, then not so good

I think GP is relatively happy, so will go for 7

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I gave a rating of 8.

This is a combination of:

1) Rating for money in and money out? Answer: 10.
2) Rating for ability to field a match-winning side? Answer 7 (Based on P5 W3 D1 L1)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So you agree with Potter's team selection then? Pretty obvious to anyone who saw the game he messed up. Obviously no guarantees, but he made a clear error.

JUst out of interest, were you there? (I was)...

It’s only obvious well into/after the game. Most of his strategies work, occasionally they don’t. Being smart with hindsight is easy. Welbeck’s physical loading calculations after running himself into the ground for the entire Leeds game almost certainly meant starting another game so soon after wouldn’t have been sensible :shrug:

As for the window - solid 8 for me, added a point on the last day by getting another exciting prospect in (critically for me he’s the Lallana cover/replacement which we didn’t have). Strengthened the squad after Cucu left with two decent defensive players plus Mitoma, Undav and Enciso into the mix and a lot of unneeded players shipped out and off the wage bill.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s only obvious well into/after the game. Most of his strategies work, occasionally they don’t. Being smart with hindsight is easy. Welbeck’s physical loading calculations after running himself into the ground for the entire Leeds game almost certainly meant starting another game so soon after wouldn’t have been sensible :shrug:

As for the window - solid 8 for me, added a point on the last day by getting another exciting prospect in (critically for me he’s the Lallana cover/replacement which we didn’t have). Strengthened the squad after Cucu left with two decent defensive players plus Mitoma, Undav and Enciso into the mix and a lot of unneeded players shipped out and off the wage bill.
Haven't you just proved the point we needed a Welbeck replacement as a necessity?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Haven't you just proved the point we needed a Welbeck replacement as a necessity?

I haven't proved anything....there's more than one way to pick and tactically organise a team to win a game, it wasn't simply not having Welbeck starting that cost us the game on Tuesday - most of the team were well off their best. Potter may have chosen to go how he did even if we had a Danny back-up. Striking back up in Danny's mould remains a hole in the squad though if we want to play in a way that requires his attributes :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I haven't proved anything....there's more than one way to pick and tactically organise a team to win a game, it wasn't simply not having Welbeck starting that cost us the game on Tuesday - most of the team were well off their best. Potter may have chosen to go how he did even if we had a Danny back-up. Striking back up in Danny's mould remains a hole in the squad though if we want to play in a way that requires his attributes :shrug:
No I don’t agree with that, thee up players performance was down to the tactics IMO. No outlet first half Fulham kept recycling the ball we didn’t need to go to a four sub Welbeck realise the error and that would of been job done. If you look at the majority of the second half we had 92% possession.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No I don’t agree with that, thee up players performance was down to the tactics IMO. No outlet first half Fulham kept recycling the ball we didn’t need to go to a four sub Welbeck realise the error and that would of been job done. If you look at the majority of the second half we had 92% possession.

No way Dunk, Webster, Trossard and Caicedo (for starters) matched their recent performances IMO.......combo of wrong tactics from GP and some off-key performances. Anyhow, 3 pts tomorrow (Welbeck to score) and we're all good :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here