Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RATE Albion's transfer window

How do YOU rate Albion's transfer window?

• 10 (High)

Votes: 5 1.8%

Votes: 35 12.4%

Votes: 89 31.4%

Votes: 60 21.2%

Votes: 47 16.6%

Votes: 20 7.1%

Votes: 10 3.5%

• 1 (Low)

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I gave it a 5. Some big fees for Cucurella, Bissouma, Østigard which are great but selling our top scorer in Neal Maupay and not replacing him is risky to say the least. And before anyone says it, yes I know we have Undav but he is totally unproven at anything close to this level and seemingly wasn’t trusted to start against Fulham so I’m not holding out hope he could step in when (and let’s face it, it is going to be ‘when’ not ‘if’) Welbeck is injured.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Great business for the Club.. great fees secured and crucially a LB signed to enable us to play with 4 at the back. Gilmour is an exciting potential and provides us with immediate back-up should the Fat Cats come calling for Caicedo in January with more money than sense. BUT.. I too am concerned that letting Maupay go, right now looks a risk..certainly a bigger risk than if we had him still. I absolutely understand that we wont break the strategy that has served us so well, and "trust" the Club accordingly. I have no idea if Maupay wanted to go, we secured a great price for him in the last year of his contract so I understand the business rationale. Either the Club are very confident in what they see day to day from Undav etc., far more confident in Welbeck's fitness OR their plans for a back-up melted away. One suggests no concern from the club, the other could be a calculated risk that the season "stops" for a while in November and December, so the exposure is reduced with the January Window opening.
I scored 6/10 that reflects my discomfort that Welbeck will get injured within 10 mins of Sunday's game and I don't know how good Undav could be.. I trust the club, but it's hard for a Nervous Nerys like me!!!
Why do people keep saying that gilmour is a potential replacement for caciedo?? He's a completely different player! He has the physique of a 15 year old girl.

More like a lallana replacement.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Why do people keep saying that gilmour is a potential replacement for caciedo?? He's a completely different player! He has the physique of a 15 year old girl.

He doesn't score goals like our version of AL as well.

In fact he hasn't scored a goal in his senior career to date.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
From a business perspective, it's undoubtedly a big fat 10. Got big fees (relative to our contract positions) for Bissouma and Cucurella while being able to source a replacement for one and hold on to the replacement for the other. The moneyball approach keeps rolling on.

From a team perspective, it's only a 4. Failed to strengthen notably in some areas and our weaknesses are still weak (back up wingers, over-reliance on Welbeck). Plus our top scorer from the last two seasons is out the door to another PL team.

Split the difference, 7.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Q. Rate the window.

CJ’s Answer . Well you can’t rate this window in isolation.

I’ve not suggested that you’re spinning any PR for the club, those are your words. What I have suggested is that you have, once again, intentionally NOT answered the straight forward question that’s on the table. You know full well that you do it, shouldn’t be too surprised if someone notices it.

Totally agree with this. Of course you can rate this window in isolation - literally everybody else managed to do it, and many of us rate it quite highly despite the lack of depth up front. CJ, you're your own worst enemy because your posts just read like club propaganda. Dull.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
6/10 now, potentially dropping to 5/10 or rising to 7/10 depending on how our new arrivals bed in.

We’ve lost some quality, we’ve brought in some untried talent to replace it. Am counting Mitoma and Undav as new signings, so believe we have strengthened attack, though like others am slightly concerned that Undav wasn’t ready when Welbeck was rested for Fulham.

Have to trust in GP that when Undav’s ready, he’ll play. Not writing him off yet, players take time to adjust, it’s a very competitive league. Also hoping that Ferguson gets some game time in there somewhere, even if it’s cup competitions and cameos for this season. Perhaps a loan somewhere he’ll play regularly for the 2nd half of the season if his chances seem limited?

If Gilmour comes good then I’ll add an extra point to the score. I fear the potential for a Dele Alli like gap between his potential and the level he actually consistently reaches, but he’s in the right place to develop if he wants to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We are not a top 6 club and we're not a club that is panicking about what we need to do to avoid relegation. We are building slowly. Therefore, I'm not expecting marquee signings which is why it is a 9.

If we'd had a nice surprise it would have been a 10, but then you'd have rated it a 10 as well. This is the problem with ratings for too many fans. For too many it's either a 5/10 or a 10/10 and it all depends on some 'event' happening rather than patient building.

I gave it a 7 but I agree with your analysis. If G-Pott is happy, what's not to like?

(And personally I feel that a 'big target man' would ruin us. Welbeck is now a very particular type of striker. I must say I like Bamford also. Subtle.)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
8/10 caveated with us seeing more first team minutes for Undav / Enciso to ensure the stance is backed up

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
5/10. Great fee for Cucurella, Biss had to go but cheaply due to contract. Some potentially exciting signings, but overall feel the squad is a bit thin and slightly weaker. Hopefully I’m completely wrong 🙂

This is how I saw it. We replaced Cucu, added some additions etc which is great. But we lost a proven PL striker and didn't replace him. That for me limits my score. We didn't improve the squad.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
You need to rate cumulative transfer windows. This one , only makes sense given the business we did in January and last summer. And before that - building a squad that’s potter friendly, sustainable, younger/with resell value, and naturally from markets/league where we can compete ££/opportunity wise hasnt just happened over the summer.
Loans (what is it ? 15 or so ? ) take several windows to come good (or sometimes fail) and work done now might lay foundations for work in January (13 games time) or 2024 or 2025 etc … so always with windows - too early to say.
And also trust what Potter says, he’s not a Rodgers, Parker or Gerrard bleating about what he hasn’t got. But I still think he’s pretty transparent about transfers and squad strength . If he says he’s relaxed about his forward options - perhaps he really is. (For now at least).
PS: Watch out for Sarmiento by the way. Not a “striker” but He’s played about 10 mins for us so far for various reasons - injuries/team form but he’s up there with Caicedo as a prospect.

There is ONE reason Sarmiento has only played ten minutes for us. He is always injured. Anyone hoping for great things from him is going to be disappointed.

If Potter has options up-front, why no recognised striker against Fulham? I get resting Welbeck but 3 points thrown away.

You want debates, have one but don't come out with the club line all the time. I don't expect £40m strikers either!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
8 for me.

Outgoings superb, maximum value for Cucurella, Ostigard, Maupay, Bissouma. Andone no surprise, Emmerson perhaps more so given his achievements in U-18’s but he was homesick so makes sense for the kid.

Signings are intriguing, show promise. Remember Bissouma was ‘meh’ for first two seasons so having some patience with players and assisting their development over time may be seen as heretical by some on here but can generate benefits.

As for incomings,

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
7/10.

It is always hard to judge until you see how some of the players work out. A lot seem to have written off Undav already which is unfair. Judge him at the end of the season. I suspect he will take time to adapt.

Gilmour is a gem and could prove to be our best signing this year.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

He may not be the like for like replacement but his profile, (age/potential/sell-on opportunity) and I am sure you can agree he is at least a central midfielder is back-up for the area if Caicedo were to leave? In the same way that Undav is not the same player as Welbeck, and doesn't have the same physical attributes but is a back-up for that position.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There is ONE reason Sarmiento has only played ten minutes for us. He is always injured. Anyone hoping for great things from him is going to be disappointed.

!!

Good to hear you’ve written off Albion’s young player of the year at the age of 20.
The more Jeremys that play for Albion the better imo.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Because UEFA Pro coach qualified Graham Potter decided to play the same formation that earned a point at Anfield last season?

But against Fulham. Mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No guarantees the game would have been won with a striker.

Brighton has played with strikers previously and lost football games.

Potter made a mistake. It cost us dearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
8/10
Thought club did pretty well balancing letting a player move on if he really wanted to with not being robbed blind . Obvious that Estupinan is not as good at the moment but clear signs of some talent which could be developed . I do not know a lot about Gilmour but again seems like a young prospect in the current Albion mode .
Interesting that some 20 people have voted 3 or less but none has posted their reasoning though i suspect it would mainly revolve around the striker issue !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here