Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ranking every single Dutch player ever to play for the Albion

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think that these rankings have always got to be stipulated that they are relative to the level that BHA were playing at at the time. Kuipers is obviously an inferior keeper to Verbruggen and Krul, but relative to divisions 2-4, he was an outstanding shot stopper.

How true is it that we only took him from Bristol Rovers as a friendly face for 19-year-old Zamora?
Dunno if that’s true or not. Bobby had already been with us on loan for a few months the previous season so would have known plenty of the squad already so we wouldn’t have necessarily needed a friendly face for him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Michel Kuipers helped me get in to my hotel after they wouldn’t let us in as it was ‘home fans only’ after we got humped in the play-off semi.

For that reason alone he should be number one for every single Brighton supporter. Admittedly it’s quite a niche reason.
My brother taught Michel Kuipers kids (Mid-Sussex state primary school) when he played for us. He told me that pretty much all the kids supported Chelsea apart from Michel’s kids who were massive Albion fans.

For this reason also, he should be number one for every single Brighton supporter.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'd put Veltman at number one.

As much as we all loved Kuipers he wasn't exactly an international. I do get that with the OP's user name the outcome couldn't have been any differernt.

Kraay at 2 is a great shout so it's a bronze for FDM from me.
Yeah, me too.
1 = Veltman
2 = Kraay
3 = Kuipers.

And yes I accept that that list isn't ranked solely on ability, otherwise Propper would probably be ahead of Kraay. But Kraay was an utter legend. Only played, what, 23 games in 1984 (I think, can't be arsed to look it up) and is still remembered fondly today.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah, me too.
1 = Veltman
2 = Kraay
3 = Kuipers.

And yes I accept that that list isn't ranked solely on ability, otherwise Propper would probably be ahead of Kraay. But Kraay was an utter legend. Only played, what, 23 games in 1984 (I think, can't be arsed to look it up) and is still remembered fondly today.
Indeed.

Thinking about it, as an old fart, we recognised the talent and sheer nuttiness instantly. 23 games yet he had his own song that everyone knew (later repurposed for Rougvie). Simple and effective.

I still don't think Estupinian has one and it took seasons for us to come up with the dart theme for Velts. Pull your fingers out young 'uns.

(TBF there's was an Ansu Fati one on Saturday which I now can't remember. Whether that's because of alcohol or its complexity - well, I'm taking the Fifth).

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
With the exception of the home nations, Spain, and maybe France, most of those others will be very short lists!

could lump the South American nations in together because there is a WILD variety of players in that list

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yeah, me too.
1 = Veltman
2 = Kraay
3 = Kuipers.

Is the right answer for me….

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Kraay's magnificent mane deserves recognition in its own right.

tNvXzqwv7LCD9rrTwwfLdpcu8v1.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My brother taught Michel Kuipers kids (Mid-Sussex state primary school) when he played for us. He told me that pretty much all the kids supported Chelsea apart from Michel’s kids who were massive Albion fans.

For this reason also, he should be number one for every single Brighton supporter.
My lad saved a penalty from FDM's son in an u9 game once. After the game, Kuipers came up and shook his hand and said what a great save it was.
He's been dining out on that claim to fame for ages...and is now 20. 😂

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
It turns out that Soufyan Ahannach and Tim Krul played together in a side that somehow constituted the U21s.

1699365119736.png

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, no other nation has contributed the quality or quantity of servants to the Albion that the Netherlands has.

Spain would be our second most important country we've imported from

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Scotland? Greer, Bridcutt, CMS, Murphy, Gilmour, Iwelumo, Graeme Smith (lol)
An Irish Albion XI would beat the scots, I reckon...

McCarthy, Robinson, Grealish, Howlett, O'Regan, Ferguson, Connolly, Molumby, Ryan, O'Callaghan, Dicker, etc, etc, etc

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Yes, no other nation has contributed the quality or quantity of servants to the Albion that the Netherlands has.

Spain would be our second most important country we've imported from

An Irish Albion XI would beat the scots, I reckon...

McCarthy, Robinson, Grealish, Howlett, O'Regan, Ferguson, Connolly, Molumby, Ryan, O'Callaghan, Dicker, etc, etc, etc

a midfield two of O'Callaghan and Dicker is LANGUID to say the least

I've done this kind of thing with friends before- a fantasy Albion world cup. You can make 11's from Spain, South America, Ireland, Scotland, France & Belgium, Netherlands, Asia, Africa and a few others. I'm sure you could make a Welsh one? Then a Northern Europe and Southern Europe perhaps.

South America's was generally the strongest I think. Spain had a great defence (consisting of 3 right backs and a left back) and an INSANE midfield but an absolutely diabolical front line

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here