Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ranking every single Dutch player ever to play for the Albion

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
At the start of the week where we will play one of the biggest games in our history, I’ve ranked every single Dutch player ever to play for us.

13-4 in this post, the top three to follow. I hope you enjoy!

13 Roland Bergkamp

We begin with unlucky 13 and Roland Bergkamp The nephew of the non Flying Dutchman.

Signed in July 2011 as Albion were promoted to the Championship. I only saw him in a pre-season friendly vs @HorshamFC in Worthing. He never made a first team appearance for us

1699352669315.png

12 Soufyan Ahannach

After joining in 2017, he failed to make his 1st team debut but made two appearances in the Checkatrade Trophy games against Oxford United and Stevenage.

1 of 3 Dutch players I’ve not seen live. Soufyan has had five clubs since leaving permanently in 2020 and currently plays for Wydad AC, Morcoc's most successful club.

1699352791928.png

11 Kjell Scherpen

The 2nd of those I’ve not seen live, so perhaps harshly placed.

The former Ajax goalkeeper joined us from the Dutch champions in 2021, making his debut away at West Bromwich Albion in a Third Round FA Cup tie.

The 6’8 stopper is current on loan to potential Europa League opponents Sturm Graz.

1699352962593.png

10 Elvis Manu

Signed in 2015 for £1.5M but failed to shake up the south coast. Making just 17 appearances. He was caught in a trap with and soon left the building.

Now plays for FC Universitatea Cluj in Romania.

1699352977047.png

9 Tim Krul

Possibly a bit cruel (sorry) for an outstanding goalkeeper.

Best known for his time with Norwich and his 2014 World Cup heroics for The Netherlands vs. Costa Rica.

Always felt confident with him in between the sticks and is currently signed with Luton Town.

1699353028289.png

8 Bart Verbruggen

1/3 Dutch players in our current side & may well play on Thursday.

Signed from RS Anderlecht this summer. Bart hasn’t been with us long enough yet to warrant a higher ranking, but has the potential to be one of the best Dutch keepers Albion has ever had.

1699353085586.png

7 Danny Holla

Made 33 appearances for us. The vast majority of them coming under Sami Hyypia (shudder).

Always seemed to work hard and a good professional. Last club was Sliema Wanderers in the Maltese Challenge League

1699353119814.png

6 Rajiv van La Parra

Despite only 7 appearances, I loved RvLP. Skilful, flare and a lot of potential.

He played in the EPL for Huddersfield Town and the Champions League for Red Star Belgrade.

1699353166979.png

Into the top 5 now ...

5 Jan Paul van Hecke

Born six months after Darren Freeman scored the first goal of the new Millennium and pocketed Erling Haaland, he’s growing in confidence in every game.

Joined from NAC Breda in 2020. 23 appearances so far and really think he's improving all the time.

1699353231526.png

4 Davy Propper

121 games for the Albion and currently our 2nd highest Dutch appearance holder.

Never gave the ball away in midfield with Stephens. Signed for a club record fee of €6m.

A real stalwart. Came out of retirement and now plays for Vitesse. 19 international caps for the Dutch.

1699353401449.png

Top 3 to follow in the next post ...

Last edited:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
3 Joël Veltman

Fast becoming an Albion legend and soon to overtake the previously mentioned midfielder with his appearances.

119 games for Albion so far. after signing from Ajax for £900,000, the best value for money deal ever?

World class right back. Ajax away fans gave him an excellent reception a fortnight ago and can expect the same this week.

1699353888770.png

2 Hans Kraay Jr.

A Career had it all. Including his own fan club on NSC.

Brought total football to the south coast. Described by Chris Cattlin as ‘the finest professional footballer I have known’.

23 yellows and multiple reds in as many games.

What a man.

1699353912586.png

1 Michel Kuipers

Of course, it had to be, the Former Dutch Marine.

Multiple world class saves. Wolves away, Bristol City and Blackpool at home to name but a few.

10 years, three promotions and close to 250 appearances for a real BHAFC legend who was always there for us when we needed him.

1699353936222.png

So what do you think? Are any in the wrong place? Who would you change?

Hope you enjoyed reading and see you in Amsterdam!

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd put Veltman at number one.

As much as we all loved Kuipers he wasn't exactly an international. I do get that with the OP's user name the outcome couldn't have been any differernt.

Kraay at 2 is a great shout so it's a bronze for FDM from me.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I'd put Veltman at number one.

As much as we all loved Kuipers he wasn't exactly an international. I do get that with the OP's user name the outcome couldn't have been any differernt.

Kraay at 2 is a great shout so it's a bronze for FDM from me.

Michel Kuipers helped me get in to my hotel after they wouldn’t let us in as it was ‘home fans only’ after we got humped by Derby in the play-off semi.

For that reason alone he should be number one for every single Brighton supporter. Admittedly it’s quite a niche reason.

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I'd have Veltmann at number one. No mention of Locadia or Agustien which is to be commended.

My lasting memory of Hans Kray is an absolute horror tackle from behind on Paul Wilkinson (him of the dodgy 80s bubble perm) who was playing for Grimsby at the time. It was a red all day long but the ref deemed it only a yellow.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
These are a good ranking.

On the subject of Veltman, I still think Groß is the best value for money player we've had, in terms of his goal and assist return, but Joel certainly runs him close thanks to his of his high levels of commitment, shithousery and enthusiastic goal celebrations!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think I'd put Ver Bruggen and Krul into 6th and 7th. Can't argue with the top five but might change the order. I never saw Hans Kray play but there are at least two posters named after him so he must have had something about him. Of the ones I have seen I'd go:

The FDM
Veltman
Propper
Van Hecke

if i'm going with my favouries. If I'm giving a bit more weight to ability then I'd swap the FDM and Veltman.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think that these rankings have always got to be stipulated that they are relative to the level that BHA were playing at at the time. Kuipers is obviously an inferior keeper to Verbruggen and Krul, but relative to divisions 2-4, he was an outstanding shot stopper.

How true is it that we only took him from Bristol Rovers as a friendly face for 19-year-old Zamora?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here