Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ramadan

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lots of my students are doing it which is tough during the exam period. I would like to tell them that is there is a god then he really would not mind during your Alevels to eat and rink but it is not worth the hassle.

One of my mates is a professor in Saudi. He tells me that you can eat or drink if you need to do so. Putting yourself in jeopardy at exam time (etc) is for folk who are the equivalent of Christians who imagine the bible tells them not to drink alcohol, work on Sunday, become priest if you are a woman, be gay, be divorced, contradict your husband, etc etc.

Personally if I had religion I'd be a zealot. Its part of the whole belief thing. The more arbtrary the diktat, the better it is as a test of faith. Fortunately for me I'm a scientist, so all I care about is a good hypothesis and a cunning plan to test it.

But making your kids adhere to your belief system, especially when it disdvantages them, is simply wrong.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
You know Im just deleting this because I totally misunderstood..... Muslims are supposed to believe that you should not fight and kill during Ramadan but Daeesh don't seem to care....
The Daesh are either impostors, wannabe zealots who don't have a clue when it comes to learning their own religion, or practice an extreme form of Wahabiism (just like the Taliban during their reign in Afghanistan)

I seem to recall a story where they asked a Christian couple if they're Muslims, to which they replied yes. For verification, the husband was asked to recite a verse of the Koran. He recited a verse from the Bible, and he was let go, proving most Daesh soldiers and sympathizers are shite when it comes to understanding their own religion

Sent from popcorn packets for NSC binfests

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
[MENTION=33890]SeagullofMalaysia[/MENTION]

This was the caravan raid during Ramadan. Muhammad sent them out during Ramadan and he had to be reminded that it was a sacred month after the crime was committed.

Quite an embarrassment to forget, but to save face he endorsed it and said they have done worse. So from that time anyone who is a non Muslim can be killed during Ramadan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakhla_raid

https://youtu.be/NKPKYnNQ4B8
Thanks! I've never obtained access to any of these stories, since they're often blurred out by the Malaysian educational system. I'd like to learn about the disadvantages of Islam too (instead of 'Islam is the best and has no disadvantages, who says otherwise is an infidel' view espoused by most Muslims heree)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Thanks! I've never obtained access to any of these stories, since they're often blurred out by the Malaysian educational system. I'd like to learn about the disadvantages of Islam too (instead of 'Islam is the best and has no disadvantages, who says otherwise is an infidel' view espoused by most Muslims heree)

If you found that interesting Yasir Qadhi is quite good at being honest.

This is the account from authentic sources regarding The Tribe of Banu Qurayza

https://youtu.be/UZE1N56fswY

This story is one example of what Daesh is inspired by.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
no.....celebrate the cricket and then denounce radical islam....then go down the pub.....but they can have hoola hoops if they want...i honestly don't really care.

Celebrating a a Pakistaani 20/20 win to denouncing radical Islam. So it's goodnight from me......

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
ah well.....that'll teach me.....:thumbsup: would be pretty hard on nordic muslims would it not ...observing ramadan in the middle of summer where the sun barely sets for weeks.

was this mohammed's way of telling them they should not venture too far north or south one wonders.???:moo:

Apparently you can opt out if you live somewhere which has sunrise/sunset issues - I only found this out yesterday after I wondered about what you would do in this instance.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Apparently you can opt out if you live somewhere which has sunrise/sunset issues - I only found this out yesterday after I wondered about what you would do in this instance.
A recent fatwa said in this case, you have two options:
i) Follow the sunrise/sunset times
ii) Follow the fasting times for Mecca

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So the punishment breaking Ramadan is listed below. I don't know if it is a choice from 3 or all 3?

Free a slave
Fast for thirty non-Ramadan days
Give a charity that can feed 60 people.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
If non muslim parents stopped their children eating and drinking for almost 19 hours a day for 29 days, because they believed in fairies at the bottom of the garden they would be sectioned and their children taken into care.....and rightly so.

The longest period a Muslim would be required to abstain if they lived in Brighton would be sixteen and a half hours.

Not sure where you get the figure of almost 19 hours from.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/brighton

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
The longest period a Muslim would be required to abstain if they lived in Brighton would be sixteen and a half hours.

Not sure where you get the figure of almost 19 hours from.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/brighton

Apologies Mr. Nobody (Palace troll) from the BBS, but I don't recall saying "almost 19 hours a day for 29 days ...(in Brighton..?)".

The times given out by the London Central Mosque Trust Ltd for London for this coming Sunday (12th June) is........02.40 - 21.21. That is 18 hours 41 minutes. I,m happy to confirm as per my original post that that is ..."almost 19 hours".

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Out of interest when did you first decide* to become a Muslim?

*Decide meaning making a free choice with all available information about other options available and having no fear of negative consequences like being ostracised from family, friends, community, religious sanction (death).

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
dont think these religious types think things through.
surely it would make better sense to fast when it was dark when you can spend much of the time sleeping or snacking on some secretly smuggled tuck under the bedsheets

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
So the punishment breaking Ramadan is listed below. I don't know if it is a choice from 3 or all 3?

Free a slave
Fast for thirty non-Ramadan days
Give a charity that can feed 60 people.

A person who breaks Ramadan/violates the fasting rules (shagging wives before iftar, for example) must do the first one. Failing that, they can do the third punishment, and finally if they're too skint, they must exercise the second option.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apologies Mr. Nobody (Palace troll) from the BBS, but I don't recall saying "almost 19 hours a day for 29 days ...(in Brighton..?)".

The times given out by the London Central Mosque Trust Ltd for London for this coming Sunday (12th June) is........02.40 - 21.21. That is 18 hours 41 minutes. I,m happy to confirm as per my original post that that is ..."almost 19 hours".
It'll be a bit longer the following week...at a guess about 19 hours....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here