Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radiohead

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Street spirit is (alongside I am the resurrection) the best ending to an album.
If we're talking album closers then 'Motion Picture Soundtrack' is the one for me, especially if you include the lovely 'hidden' bit at the end.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I met him in 1993, he was pretty aloof and didn't want much to do with the support band (which i was in). The bass player was sound though and the band shared their rider with us. Thom didn't really talk much , just wondered about being intellectual.

I've heard similar - a friend of mine regularly drank in the same pub as him (i believe in Cornwall somewhere) - he kept himself to himself a lot.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I just dont "get" Radiohead. Im happy for others that do. Just not my cup of tea music wise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having a Radiohead day today.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Consistently brilliant.

My favourites are In Rainbows and The Bends, but the rest (bar Pablo Honey) are very, very close. Best song has to be "Everything in it's Right Place"

Seven years on, you're right about Pablo Honey which isn't much. The rest are all amazing albums for me. I'm currently listening to A Moon Shaped Pool a lot, which is a real grower. Favourite is probably In Rainbows, but sometimes Kid A, The Bends and OK Computer make me question this.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’m not sure any band can top five albums of such magnificent quality.

1.In Rainbows
2.Ok Computer
3.Kid A
4.The Bends
5.A Moon Shaped Pool

King of Limbs is underrated as well.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I heard The Daily Mail on Ozark which escaped my attention when it was released.

Great, great band. And one has the luxury to pick and choose the albums they like. The Bends is a bit too BritPop for me. I love their more experimental stuff, slightly more electronic but also liked that they dip back in to the guitar driven music with Hail to the Thief, In Rainbows. Quite contemporary and creative, very textured and beautifully written.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Funny old band. I like all the albums especially the later ones, Moon Shaped Pool became a favourite of mine in 2016 on release, with Present Tense taking over from Weird Fishes as my favourite track. Then today, six years after release. Decks Dark smacks me in the face!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you're in the right mood, In Rainbows is a ruddy LOVELY album. It's a band accepting that they are growing middle aged and becoming dads, not pretending to still be awkward and edgy. The production is really lush and warm.

I'm having a morning listening to this album. Very much agree with your assessment here.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm having a morning listening to this album. Very much agree with your assessment here.

From about track 3 onwards, it's like climbing into a deep warm bath. You can just float away.

This album is really up there for me - like Mount Rushmore of albums stuff.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
From about track 3 onwards, it's like climbing into a deep warm bath. You can just float away.

This album is really up there for me - like Mount Rushmore of albums stuff.

It's such a weird one for me. I started with Pablo Honey in the early days, The Bends and OK Computer probably up there as my 2 favourite albums, but when they released In Rainbows and went with that 'pay what you want' I couldn't deal with it. I know, sounds ridiculous, but I dithered on getting it for free but then having a bit of guilt, do you pay a fiver, are they ridiculously rich anyway and I ended up not even downloading it or listening to it for years! Even now I've not often gone near it. Very weird how that all effected me. I'm shaking my head now as it's just odd.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It's such a weird one for me. I started with Pablo Honey in the early days, The Bends and OK Computer probably up there as my 2 favourite albums, but when they released In Rainbows and went with that 'pay what you want' I couldn't deal with it. I know, sounds ridiculous, but I dithered on getting it for free but then having a bit of guilt, do you pay a fiver, are they ridiculously rich anyway and I ended up not even downloading it or listening to it for years! Even now I've not often gone near it. Very weird how that all effected me. I'm shaking my head now as it's just odd.
Not weird. Same for me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, you're missing out on one of the greatest albums of all time, and probably Radiohead's finest. Given the quality of their output, that's something, although I do waver at times.
The only album that I never listen to is Pablo Honey, and haven't done so for decades, and have no inclination to do so. The rest, on the other hand. I think I agree with the much missed [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] who said that their best are (and not just chronology):
The Bends > OK Computer > Kid A > In Rainbows
Again, I waver on this sometimes. One last thing: A Moon-Shaped Pool is seriously underrated.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Well, you're missing out on one of the greatest albums of all time, and probably Radiohead's finest. Given the quality of their output, that's something, although I do waver at times.
The only album that I never listen to is Pablo Honey, and haven't done so for decades, and have no inclination to do so. The rest, on the other hand. I think I agree with the much missed [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] who said that their best are (and not just chronology):
The Bends > OK Computer > Kid A > In Rainbows
Again, I waver on this sometimes. One last thing: A Moon-Shaped Pool is seriously underrated.

Agree never listen to Pablo Honey, but its not my least favourite, probably a controversial one but I think Kings of Limbs is a load of nonsense

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
If we're talking album closers then 'Motion Picture Soundtrack' is the one for me, especially if you include the lovely 'hidden' bit at the end.

I absolutely love that song. Before the album came out I had an acoustic bootleg of it that sounded like it was recorded from behind a studio door or something. Despite lacking any production and it being such poor quality it was still hauntingly beautiful and even now however many years later snippets of it will come to me out of nowhere. Whoever secretly recorded that and stuck it on Napster or wherever I found it has given me a life-long earworm I think.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Agree never listen to Pablo Honey, but its not my least favourite, probably a controversial one but I think Kings of Limbs is a load of nonsense

I like King of Limbs. Not on par with the greats, but the track Codex is a real highlight and personal favourite.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where do people sit with The Smile? My view is this the most Radiohead of the various spin offs, not surprising really, and it certainly has some stand out moments eg Pana-vision. It’s a very enjoyable album and they were superb when I saw them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ha. I'm currently listening to it. It is Radiohead-y, as you say, unsurprising. There's a lovely feel to it, but I'm not sure it'll have the staying power of their albums (Pablo Honey permitting, of course).
I think of it as a side project that Thom and Johnny are keen on, and will sustain for a while. They want to play, to experiment, to include musicians they respect (ahem, note how many of the London jazz scene are involved), and not have to play the tracks that they've done for three decades. I was also lucky enough to see them, and Thom indicated that they were working on a second album, some of the tracks they played. They're certainly invested in it currently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here