Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quitting Smoking Thread

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I can't give up smoking. I enjoy it too much and as I don't drink alcohol any more, the money I save on booze goes on Benson & Hedges. Most of my family smoke or have smoked for the large part of their lives and despite the health risks they've lived to a good age.

Best of luck to people on here willing to kick the habit. :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I gave up on March the 20th this year and i'm also doing it by cold turkey. I have almost completed 3 calendar months. Sadly i have piled on the weight, i just can't help snacking.

As a serial snacker, have you tried (regular) chewing gum?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
As a serial snacker, have you tried (regular) chewing gum?
I did do on my last quit a few years back but i found myself biting my tongue a lot or the inside of my mouth. This time around i've been been sucking on Chuppa Chup lollies by the bucket load but have stopped it a few weeks back.

I actually have my quit all under control(most of the time) but food has ALWAYS been my weak point.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
I gave up on January 25th and switched to e-cigarettes - This was after 40 years on at least 20 a day !
Haven't had a fag since
I have no intention of smoking cigarettes again though I'm determined not to be one of those ex smokers who has "seen the light" and wants to make everyone give up !
Good luck to all who are trying to give up - I found it surprisingly easy with the e-cigarettes.
I still get the odd time when i want a fag but these cravings soon subside and if you feel that you want "something" you can wander off to the toilets at work/shop/pub/train/wherever and have a puff of an e-cig cos the vapour doesn't smell and there's no flame or smoke so doesn't trigger any smoke detectors

I was on at least 20 a day for 20 years. The past couple of years even lying and sneaking fags in with petrol to avoid earache from my wife. Been 5 weeks now with an E-lite and honestly can say only been couple of times when I've fancied a real fag, and that when caught unaware of brief whiff of someone having one. Not outside pub as found that too strong and was expecting it.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
READ THE BOOK

Allen Carr - the Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

Really, read it. I went from 40 a day for 20 years to nothing, nada, will be 2 years in October with not a single cigarette. Add to that, I never missed it, no gum, no patches, the merest of withdrawal symptoms for a couple of weeks. This is true. Read the book, finish the book, do what it says.

Exactly the same for me (except I was on 5 a day, not 40). Can't recommend this book enough.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Packed in the Melvyn Braggs about 3 months ago as finally taking a toll on my health
Been having poor circulation and breathing problems, just walking up a couple of flights of stairs now leaves me out of breath which is embarrasing as still do a lot of sport and am generally fit
Hope this time can stop for good
Have had cycle before of smoking, feeling unfit, stop smoking, feeling great and healthy, start smoking again because felt can be healthy and be a smoker, feeling unit, stop smoking and then repeat cycle
Cost of cigarettes doesn't bother me as would still probably smoke if a tenner a packet but finally it's proper hurting my health so the time has come to ditch them hopefully for the last time
Still feeling unhealthy even after a few months off them but I know in the long term will get better and don't want to experience breathlessness again as not pleasant

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Day 3 of the Champix, feel sick as a dog and it's only the minimum dose. Oh lordy.

Stick with it, it gets better. I gave up by using champix, haven't had a fag since last August. Make sure you have eaten before you take the pill. this helps big time.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
My Dad tried many methods to quit smoking: chewing gums, special adhesive tape,
some sort of magnetic water, hypnosis and God knows what else, all to no avail.
Then my Mum had this great idea - she told everyone that her husband stopped
smoking, she told the family, she told his friends, the people my father worked with
and so on. She told them how great her husband was and how proud she was of him.
That was a brilliant move. My father was too ashamed to continue smoking in such
circumstances and quit, just like that after 20 years of smoking.

Never underestimate male ambition and pride :)

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009
Day 3 of the Champix, feel sick as a dog and it's only the minimum dose. Oh lordy.

good luck with the quitting. I went to the doctor last week to get help cutting down and hopefully quitting, anyway i was thinking of using champix but after a quick google search decided against it so decided to get an ecig and chose E-LITEs after i saw them in a motorway services and in just 4 days ive cut down from 30 a day to about 12 and i hope to be smoking less than 5 a day next week.

Truth Will Out Champix Chantix 9: Varenicline, murders and suicide

Tea and Cigarettes: Search results for champix

Electronic Cigarette - Buy Electric Cigarettes UK | Buy E Cigarette UK | E Cig from E-Lites

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Last day of Champix was yesterday, been doing absolutely fine up until today. I came within seconds of smacking my regional director in the face today, instead sent myself to the shops and stuck 4 Nicotine patches directly to my Jugular. Haven't been this stressed in years, but have still avoided having a fag, despite the offer from concerned colleagues :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Keep going mate. Must admit the E-Lite still working great for me - 10 days tommorow :) No cravings / mood swings / snacking so far :) Working a treat...

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Last day of Champix was yesterday, been doing absolutely fine up until today. I came within seconds of smacking my regional director in the face today, instead sent myself to the shops and stuck 4 Nicotine patches directly to my Jugular. Haven't been this stressed in years, but have still avoided having a fag, despite the offer from concerned colleagues :lolol:
Well done keep it going dude.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Started on the patches 8 weeks ago. Very, very focussed that I will never smoke again, 95% of the time it is very easy, just once or twice a day I fancy a smoke, but it soon passes. I really believe that it is all about how much you want to stop.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Just going in to my 4th day cold turkey.... Not easy but winning the battle

BHAboi

Jan 26, 2009
BHA
I quit last September as was feeling unfit and skinny. Now im living a much healthier life however it is hard when out on the piss, its been so long now though I really don't want to re-set the clock so its important to me not to have even one drag, probably about pride now. Also noticed an increase in the girls coming my way :D

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

read the book. Its easy if you get your mindset right

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
dont think of it as giving up or quitting.

as you fall asleep and wake up just affirm "my lungs love clean air" a few times, and take 10 deep breaths a few times a day. job done.....no cravings, no desire, just happy with clean air.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here