Quitting Smoking Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I purchased one of those VIP e cigs from Groupon about 6 weeks ago, I used to smoke arounf 10 a day, now I have had only 1 cigarette in the last 6 weeks and I hated it ! The e-cig has really worked for me and to be honest I don't really use that much anymore, just a puff here and there

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Good on you, I had a go at quitting not too long ago and I made it a few months...but i cracked eventually due to several foolish reason. Looking to have a good at it again soon as I really am tired of smoking.....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I only have the very occasional oily rag, but it's bloody outrageous all these fricking lightweights who are quitting smoking these days! How can you respect someone who doesn't smoke? It's decadent and shows a subversive side, a 'I don't give a f*** about lung cancer' attitude which is to be admired, not derided. I have severely berated two women in my office who have quit in recent months, fortunately we have two who are still flying the flag. Get a backbone and go and buy some fags.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
best way to give up have 5 days in hospital atached to heart machinery, that way you cant get out of bed to go outside for a cig. So when i came home i just thought if i havent had one for five days i dont need one, havent had one since that was a month ago

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Champix? I started taking them last Tuesday and my give up day is this Thursday ! Will let you know how I got on as 20 years of smoking is starting to take its toll so we all need to do it :)

Good luck

I had xyban, I think they were called, from GP. Found it a piece of piss with them, compared to other attempts.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I gave up on January 25th and switched to e-cigarettes - This was after 40 years on at least 20 a day !
Haven't had a fag since
I have no intention of smoking cigarettes again though I'm determined not to be one of those ex smokers who has "seen the light" and wants to make everyone give up !
Good luck to all who are trying to give up - I found it surprisingly easy with the e-cigarettes.
I still get the odd time when i want a fag but these cravings soon subside and if you feel that you want "something" you can wander off to the toilets at work/shop/pub/train/wherever and have a puff of an e-cig cos the vapour doesn't smell and there's no flame or smoke so doesn't trigger any smoke detectors

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I have been smoking for probably around 2 1/2 years now, and probably smoke around 10 rollie's a day. I want to give up, especially while I am still young but the thought of drinking and not having a cigarette, or going to festivals over the summer seem's too damn hard! I think I shall when the summer is over, I need to get my fitness back as my stamina has completely gone. I go to the gym regularly but that's just to do weights, I couldn't play a game of footie for more than 5 mins!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I only have the very occasional oily rag, but it's bloody outrageous all these fricking lightweights who are quitting smoking these days! How can you respect someone who doesn't smoke? It's decadent and shows a subversive side, a 'I don't give a f*** about lung cancer' attitude which is to be admired, not derided. I have severely berated two women in my office who have quit in recent months, fortunately we have two who are still flying the flag. Get a backbone and go and buy some fags.
Wise words. As stated in Viz:

"She gets the blokes, because she smokes." :love:

"Her eyes light up... because He does. :love:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Good for you, I quit over 2 years ago. I read a book by Alan Carr (not the comedian) and that really helped convince me that quitting was easy. I never looked back.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Good luck fella. I've never personally smoked but members of my family have and most tried to quit, with mixed results, so I know how difficult it can be. I'm sure you'll be just fine, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU ;-)

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Good luck!

I intend to stop on the 22nd this month (this Friday) as it's my last exam, only smoked about 18 months, but playing football more regularly now, I can well in-truly see what it has done to my body. I've tried before with the gum and the flavoured niquitin tablets, but they make your throat feel sore and it actually makes smoking a better alternative to getting nicotine. I've cut down dramatically in the past few weeks, a 12.5g pouch of baccy should last 3 days, but it only lasted me a day or a day and a half at most. So let's hope you and I both can quit.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Champix? I started taking them last Tuesday and my give up day is this Thursday ! Will let you know how I got on as 20 years of smoking is starting to take its toll so we all need to do it :)

Good luck

That's the ones, will start taking them as of tomorrow. I've been warned I might feel nauseas, have you had any of that?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I managed three months before, until I attended a whiskey based poker game surrounded by smokers. I'm just after someone else to go through this with!

I tried and failed a number of times (after months of not smoking), and always booze. When I finally gave up, 1 stopped drinking for 6 months as well.

I know a 40 a day smoker who tried everthing for years and failed, but now never smokes fags, he bought a nicolite electronic cigaratte, that you actually inhale a nicotine vapour that looks like smoke and he swears by it, tries not to smoke as much as poss, but if his cravings get to much will only have a lug on that, and it has none of the harmful chems of fags.

http://www.nicolitesonline.co.uk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
READ THE BOOK

Allen Carr - the Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

Really, read it. I went from 40 a day for 20 years to nothing, nada, will be 2 years in October with not a single cigarette. Add to that, I never missed it, no gum, no patches, the merest of withdrawal symptoms for a couple of weeks. This is true. Read the book, finish the book, do what it says.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I quit 3 months ago cold turkey, best decision I've ever made. Just get past 72 hours and then it's all breezy from there.

1hxc2e.jpg

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Trolls and Vampires, as of 00.55am this morning, I have just had my last cigarette. I will hand myself over to the authorities first thing tomorrow for my 'training'.

I urge anyone thinking about giving up to post in this thread, so that we may support each other. I have smoked on average 20 odd Camels a day, and after 6 years of smoking (not a lot compared to some) I will be going cold turkey tomorrow morning, albeit with some medical help.

There was talk before of others quitting all together on this forum for solidarity, so if you are one of those reading, let's give it a month from now.

Quit by the 17th of July and let the season commence. If anyone wants a wager, I'm game.

Good luck, took me a few tries but managed to give up almost two years ago :thumbsup:

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
I’d been a heavy smoker for many years and back in the mid eighties, 1986 to be precise, I was smoking 60 a day.

I’d tried everything, will power, hypnosis, acupuncture, but to no avail. Don’t forget, there was no such thing as patches etc. My GP explained what would happen to me if I carried on and so he placed me on this one week course, Monday to Friday, 7.30 pm to 9.00 pm, at the Brighton General where 2 highly qualified medical guys explained what “addiction” was. The first thing they pointed out was that most addictive substances ended in “ine”, e.g. cocaine, heroine, caffeine and nicotine and that you really needed to re-educate your “grey matter” by telling yourself “I choose not to smoke”, and not “I will not smoke” as you can logically still “choose” if you slip up and have a smoke.

There were about 60 people on this course and you were encouraged to swop telephone numbers so that if you were going through a rough patch, you could talk to someone who had total empathy with you and wold encourage you to get through the hard parts. We were given a three day menu for the first 3 days and told to stick to it. This was as much fruit, fruit juice and water as we wanted as this would flush out 90% of the toxins in our body. Also, if the urge to smoke was strong, go and get a drink of water. It was a case of an hour at a time, a day at a time, a week at a time.

One golden rule, don’t touch alcohol for the first 3 weeks at least, as this weakens the resolve.

On the third day, we were advised to buy 100 brewers yeast tablets as they were a source of thiamine, vitamin B1 etc and it was a lack of these elements which caused the “rattiness” when giving up. However, instead of taking the prescribed “2 tablets, 3 times a day”, we were told to take ““6 tablets, 3 times a day”. This boost would help us over the toughest part. After 3 days, you needed to eat as sensibly as possible but still using the “1 hour at a time, 1 day at………” and NO ALCOHOL.

I hope this is some help to you. It did the trick for me over 26 years ago and with the money I didn’t lay out on nicotine, paid for my family to go on holiday the following summer.

One final point, if, after a few months you think you have beaten it, beware, still tell yourself that you choose not to smoke. Believe me, it does get easier and the craving does eventually disappear, even if you smoke up to 60 a day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports