Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Quintessentially British" things on toast

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agree. I never wanted to be one of those expats who goes home with a suitcase full of tea bags etc but that’s what I’ve become. Piccalilli, Colmans mustard, bacon, cream crackers all go into my luggage.

My brother does the same. You have to have the basic luxuries sorted or you may as well be on army rations.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Almost forgot, what could be any more British than soft Herring Roes on toast ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Agree. I never wanted to be one of those expats who goes home with a suitcase full of tea bags etc but that’s what I’ve become. Piccalilli, Colmans mustard, bacon, cream crackers all go into my luggage.

After Christmas I brought back 50 rashers of bacon, 20 lemon grass stalks, 3 bottles of hot sauce, harissa and sumac. Wish I'd brought more 🥓.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
35F4B4E5-9104-4FEC-936A-E3C6251B0350.jpeg

Boneless of course.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Marmalade? Without a doubt.
Cheese? Yep, every day of the week.
Beans? Loved it as a kid. Still do.
Mince?

Apparently this is a "quintessentially British comfort classic":
Capture.jpg

https://twitter.com/Eater/status/884419962579898369

Anyone on here feel the stirrings of patriotism or feel classicly comforted upon seeing that photo? I've been British all my life and I've never once heard of this mess let alone eaten it.

That is quite vile, and looks like some made up nonsense, like craft beer, and skin tight trousers on men.

For me, (separately, not together) anchovies, cod roe, marmalade, melted cheddar and Worcestershire sauce.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Mate, even cheese on toast, with a bit of tabasco sauce for a more even spread, works a treat.
Good for weight loss too apparanty...............

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
:bounce:

Could you get more English, proper fried egg, proper black pudding and proper Bacon...

Attachments

• 16AE9C3A-DF86-452F-A111-4A9DD41F8DC7.jpeg
    16AE9C3A-DF86-452F-A111-4A9DD41F8DC7.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 54

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

do they let you carry bacon even in the EU? Mine was Jaffa cakes and Monster Munch, and everyone else was bringing in Yorkshire tea and hairstraighteners (their was a randomly big mark up on the latter GDH or something)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
do they let you carry bacon even in the EU? Mine was Jaffa cakes and Monster Munch, and everyone else was bringing in Yorkshire tea and hairstraighteners (their was a randomly big mark up on the latter GDH or something)

Yes. Bacon is fine; never been stopped. The only issue I have had was when I was carrying a leg of ham, the bone showed up on the X-ray so they pulled me over.

Paracetamol and salmon are way more expensive here so these are popular with some Brits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here