Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Quintessentially British" things on toast

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very much THIS

Never heard of this and whilst it sounds pleasent, there's nothing British about it

It's components are very British though: dripping, toast, minced beef. Maybe it's more accurately described fusion food? You can also add an extra tenner to price calling it this.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's components are very British though: dripping, toast, minced beef. Maybe it's more accurately described fusion food? You can also add an extra tenner to price calling it this.

well i suppose if you added an extra £10 to the price and called it fusion you would be the sort of mug that would pay handsomely
You might even take a photo and share it saying look at the shit im prepared to eat and pay for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
well i suppose if you added an extra £10 to the price and called it fusion you would be the sort of mug that would pay handsomely
You might even take a photo and share it saying look at the shit im prepared to eat and pay for.

When you have interests in life you tend to share them with like minded people. It's fun and you get some good tips. Maybe you should try it? Having a few interests in life might help get you out of the rut of repeating yourself in political posts?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I frequently make extra mince so that I have left overs, which I then pile up on buttered fresh white bread. Not toast though, that's just wrong.

Delights on toast include plum jam, thick cut marmalade, and scrambled eggs - this latter item I'm proud to boast that I'm the best maker of on the planet. :whistle:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Salmon and scrambled egg with a bit of pepper,
Or Marmite and mayonnaise which is delicious!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
dog_bread_face.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I once read that the UK greatest ever PM always had egg either poached or scrambled on toast but she always put the egg on toast that she had spread marmite spread on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Recipe in today’s Guardian if anyone wants to make it....

Beef mince on dripping toast - Fergus Henderson

Firstly, save your dripping! Dripping toast is one of those treats for the day after, a lovely second wind from the previous day’s roast. Mince is a dish discussed as much in Scotland (and indeed in London) as cassoulet is in Castelnaudary. Questions such as should you add peas or carrots can start a gastronomic row of great proportions. I do like a spot of carrot in mine.
Total cost: £9.70
Serves 4
onion 1, peeled and thinly sliced
leek 1, cleaned, sliced lengthways in half, then thinly sliced across
carrot 1, peeled, sliced lengthways in half, then thinly sliced across
garlic 2 cloves, peeled and chopped
extra virgin olive oil a splash
minced beef 750g
whole tinned tomatoes 2
oatmeal a handful
Worcestershire sauce 3 tbsp
chicken stock 250ml
For the dripping toast
good white bread 4 slices
dripping to spread generously
Directions
In a large pan, sweat the onion, leek, carrot and garlic in the splash of olive oil until softened. Add the mince, giving it a healthy stir to break up. Add the tinned tomatoes, crushed in your hand – a subliminal gesture. Keep stirring and add the oatmeal, not so much that you end up with porridge.
Stir, add the Worcestershire sauce and – if you have a bottle open – a glug of red wine. As this may take it above the £10 mark, it is delicious but not essential. Pour in three-quarters of the chicken stock and stir again.
Take a view on the liquid content; if it seems a wee bit dry, add the rest of the stock. You are looking for a loose lava consistency. Check for seasoning.
Now allow the mince to simmer gently for 1 and a half hours, if not 2 (if it is drying out, add more stock). Time allows the mince to become itself, as is the case for most of us.
Toast the bread, spread the dripping onto each slice and put under the grill for a moment to make sure it melts completely. Spoon the mince over the toast.
Fergus Henderson is co-founder of St John in Clerkenwell, London

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Always thought of this,in its various forms,as a military dish.My favourite,on a cold winter's day on the ranges,was slightly curried mince with fried bread croutons.Mess tin full of that would set you up a treat.Our colonial cousins had a few different recipes,usually served up as 'Sh1t on a Shingle'!:lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sardines on toast. Marvellous

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Seriously, I do like a bit of Gentlemans relish, but, I can see it's an acquired taste.

Love it. Albeit in small doses. I see they’ve broadened their range now into salmon gentleman’s relish etc. Just like lucozade, I’ll stick to the original thanks

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can't say I do mince on toast often but I do like mince, peas and onions with sliced buttered white on the side.
Strong cheddar and piccalilli is my favourite on toast at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't say I do mince on toast often but I do like mince, peas and onions with sliced buttered white on the side.

Piccalilli has to be one of the greatest inventions of all time. It totally defies the laws of the universe by making pork pies even better than pork pies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Mince rools.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Piccalilli has to be one of the greatest inventions of all time. It totally defies the laws of the universe by making pork pies even better than pork pies.

It's a larder staple over here at Casa Del Clamp. A house is not a home without it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a larder staple over here at Casa Del Clamp. A house is not a home without it.

Agree. I never wanted to be one of those expats who goes home with a suitcase full of tea bags etc but that’s what I’ve become. Piccalilli, Colmans mustard, bacon, cream crackers all go into my luggage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here