Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Questions for the Recruitment Department

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
No but we desperately need this forward or otherwise we are in for another repeat of the second half of last season under potter this time because he seems happy with the squad

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
I'm pretty sure we are not doing nothing.... unless you would rather see us panic buy a forward for the sake of it and maybe bust our pay structure ?

No but we desperately need this forward or otherwise we are in for another repeat of the second half of last season under potter this time because he seems happy with the squad

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So the club looks at the mainland. You know, Austria, Czech, those kinds of places. Then there's the usual problem of a player with aspiration. Would they want to make that big move to a club that may not be at the top level next year ? Oh, and then there's the contract price. Inflated doubtless. Albion could end up with a player who wasn't their first choice by some distance and also on a lengthy term.

Worked with Locadia ................................. although that was a lot of money to pay just to keep Murray on his toes and scoring regularly.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Increasingly likely that the squad we have now, is the squad which will put us into the Championship by the end of the season. Tony must have a game plan, and I wonder if the parachute payments are part of that, along with offloading those who have contracts which don't meet his current monetary targets.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Cringeworthy at the time said, the Championship and League One is littered with clubs where owners had said the next step was Europe. It’s normal for a Board to have medium term goals, but better to keep it in-house when in the very unpredictable football business. Under promise and over deliver.
What nonsense. Really unbelievable that any Albion fan should criticise and seek to undermine Tony Bloom - but I guess that is what modern football brings. I’d prefer to keep the faith, be excited about Tony’s vision and the probability that one day not too far off I will be able to enjoy supporting the Albion as a further developed Premier League club.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
What nonsense. Really unbelievable that any Albion fan should criticise and seek to undermine Tony Bloom - but I guess that is what modern football brings. I’d prefer to keep the faith, be excited about Tony’s vision and the probability that one day not too far off I will be able to enjoy supporting the Albion as a further developed Premier League club.
yeh but we don't want a repeat of the second half of last season this season so we need to strengthen but obviously potter and co are happy with the squad we have and other teams are strengthening their squads and we are doing nothing

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

How do you know he's happy with the squad? Potter is not stupid, far from it. My guess is that he knows, like very single Albion fan, that we need more pace throughout the side and at least one more striker. One thing to know that, quite another to say that publicly.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
How do you know he's happy with the squad? Potter is not stupid, far from it. My guess is that he knows, like very single Albion fan, that we need more pace throughout the side and at least one more striker. One thing to know that, quite another to say that publicly.
in one of his press conference he was asked about the transfer window and he said that he was happy with the squad

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

“I have no issues with the numbers. Our job is to try and improve the quality of the players we have here and that is what we are focusing on.

In the last two transfer windows in the summer, everyone is screaming you must do this and you must do that because that is how the world is. They want an external solution. At Swansea we lost players and we improved. We got less numbers and we improved.

In Sweden, we didn’t sign anybody and we went through the Europa League to the last 32. Sometimes you can actually improve the players that you have got. We want to try and do that.”

G. Potter

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
“I have no issues with the numbers. Our job is to try and improve the quality of the players we have here and that is what we are focusing on.

In the last two transfer windows in the summer, everyone is screaming you must do this and you must do that because that is how the world is. They want an external solution. At Swansea we lost players and we improved. We got less numbers and we improved.

In Sweden, we didn’t sign anybody and we went through the Europa League to the last 32. Sometimes you can actually improve the players that you have got. We want to try and do that.”

G. Potter

I find that worrying. He is comparing his Championship and Swedish, which is probably the same level, experience with the Premier League, which has some of the top clubs in the world

Last edited:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton

G. Potter

Neat trick if he can improve the pace of our rather pedestrian midfield!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

G. Potter

Indeed, all perfectly laudable words which play to the right gallery. The reality must be that he'd love us to sign another striker. Everybody knows we need one, including him, even if he can't say it.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I actually believe GP has improved the players from last season (who are featuring), and he deserves credit for this. However, when you stand still, satisfied with incremental stats improvements from your players - whom last season struggled badly, and those around you invest heavily - well; you’re likely to tangibly improve but no where near enough to progress up the table. Ultimately the table doesn’t lie, isn’t lying and we’re where we ought to be.

If the boardroom refuse to invest or can’t invest where they would like, I think we’re going to go down. No hyperbole, we’re better but not ‘better’ enough.

Hopefully the club will stick with GP, as he’s clearly got some good ideas, and can only improve if he’s prepared to learn from his mistakes.

Hey ho, it’s only a game.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Increasingly likely that the squad we have now, is the squad which will put us into the Championship by the end of the season. Tony must have a game plan, and I wonder if the parachute payments are part of that, along with offloading those who have contracts which don't meet his current monetary targets.

verses TV and sponsorship income.....I'm glad you are not my Financial advisor.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Have the recruitment dept been in a deep sleep since August, if so they have missed the season slowly unravelling and all our relegation rivals strengthening their squads during this window

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

What nonsense. Tony Bloom would be unaffected by a wide range of politely written views, some critical, on a football forum. Most of us never makes things personal, we’re no lesser fans for being critical at times.

What nonsense. Owners have been criticised long before “modern football”.

“Probability”. Let’s hope so. It’s in the balance just now, we’ll know far more after West Ham and Watford.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Have the recruitment dept been in a deep sleep since August, if so they have missed the season slowly unravelling and all our relegation rivals strengthening their squads during this window

Apparently we’re not allowed to ask questions of them, or be critical. So let’s just say the recruitment dept are doing a smashing job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here