Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Question Time 01/03/18- This could become feisty

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sums it up perfectly, a Kent chancer who spooked a PM into a referendum - now look what has happened

What has happened? You mean Farage, despite not being elected to Parliament, becoming the most influential British politician of the 21st. century - because, whether you like what he has achieved or not, that is exactly what he has become.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
If you call someone a politician, who has missed 42 meetings of the Fishery group, who he is supposed to represent. He also got done for paying his assistant who hasn't actually done any European work for him.
He's just another snout in the trough.

Four legs good, two legs bad.

Sinn Fein politicians don’t take their seats as the elected representatives for their constituencies, and they take salaries and expenses to further their political objectives. Those that voted for them are unconcerned with this arrangement, it’s a means to an end. You should have been moaning about them for years.

UKIP and Farage are supported by an electorate that are equally unconcerned with how Farage and UKIP conduct themselves as MEPs. You and others that make the argument that they are somehow selling out their supporters are only demonstrating your niavety about politics and the motives of much of the electorate.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blackpool is certainly different to us.

The young want out and the only remainers seem to be the older members of the audience.

Not that impressed with Dewberry and Radzi..

If I was young and lived in Blackpool, I'd want to leave

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sinn Fein politicians don’t take their seats as the elected representatives for their constituencies, and they take salaries and expenses to further their political objectives. Those that voted for them are unconcerned with this arrangement, it’s a means to an end. You should have been moaning about them for years.

UKIP and Farage are supported by an electorate that are equally unconcerned with how Farage and UKIP conduct themselves as MEPs. You and others that make the argument that they are somehow selling out their supporters are only demonstrating your niavety about politics and the motives of much of the electorate.

Votes for MEPs are not first past the post, but PR. I am not Irish, so therefore Sinn Fein don't represent me. Farage does represent the SE of England, where I do live.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The thick lady who said the Tories would have a different view if Fracking was south of Watford.
I think Balcombe pretty far south last time I looked on a map.:facepalm:

It's a widely held view in parts of the North that the country is run by, and for the benefit of, London/The South. I think that's partly the reason for Brexit; towns like Blackpool see themselves as being left behind and reaping no benefit from the EU and so a number of people there voted leave just to throw a spanner in the works. They have little to lose (in their eyes).

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Votes for MEPs are not first past the post, but PR. I am not Irish, so therefore Sinn Fein don't represent me. Farage does represent the SE of England, where I do live.

Regardless of electoral systems, MEPs and MPs are elected as a consequence of the amount of votes they or their political parties receive.

In the U.K. there are 7 Sinn Fein MPs elected from 7 constituencies where the other voters (including unionists no doubt) are not represented in the U.K. Parliament.

This is a far worse position than your Farage “argument” as under the PR of EU elections the constituencies return multiples of MEPs from the region including Tory and Labour MEPs who are fully engaged and supportive of the EU project. So as a non UKIP voter you are and can be represented.

Those from the South of England that want nothing to do with the EU can be satisfied that Farage isn’t doing anything to further the cause of the project, in fact they would be happy that he confounds it at every turn.

So your point here is absolutely baseless compared to the non SF voters in constituencies returning SF MPs. If you are genuinely concerned about this lack of democracy and trough snoutery by SF MPs you can write to your local MP on behalf of those NI voters that are excluded from representation and let us know how you get on?

Good luck.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
If I was young and lived in Blackpool, I'd want to leave

Of course you would, it’s an area of the U.K. that needs financial support by the U.K. Govt, however the U.K. Govt is handing billions of pounds of taxpayers money to an institution that hands it out to other countries.

In the meantime, if you are working class your working prospects and ability to earn a crust are diminished by a labour market that works against your interests.

Too right you would want to leave, when you have nothing you have nothing to lose. A point lost on their cosseted southern middle class generational peers.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Once again tonight's show is showing up how divided and how badly led we all are. Key points, Lots want out of Europe, lots want to be in Europe and everyone wants strong decisive leadership. President Putin must be congratulating himself on his version of democracy.

This situation is of the EUs and national politicians own making, and it’s not just the U.K. that is experiencing this split.

I don’t doubt Putin is enjoying it, but then in the West we are meant to support core values such as democracy and diversity........well here it is.

You sound like you would prefer to live under a Russian system, everyone all on the same page, those that don’t agree with the leadership stuck down a mine or lit up like a Christmas tree in hospital.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's a widely held view in parts of the North that the country is run by, and for the benefit of, London/The South. I think that's partly the reason for Brexit; towns like Blackpool see themselves as being left behind and reaping no benefit from the EU and so a number of people there voted leave just to throw a spanner in the works. They have little to lose (in their eyes).
They have relied on the holiday industry in Blackpool for years and nowthey need to set up start up business units and try and develope small industrial sites make sure the education matches the needs of new business. Also get a slice of the northern Power house.
We need to stop moaning about the past and look for ways to build a new business so youngsters want to stay and live and work locally it's not easy but it can be done. They may have to take the fracking money to do it. However i am still not completely convince about Fracking and every time I visited Blackpool it's been wind swept so maybe that's an answer. What I do know they need a vision of what they want and then get the right guys and girls involved and get the community behind them.
But you must be positive and stop blaming the rich south as not everyone is rich in the South East.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How does that dim but opinionated girl from The Apprentice get onto this programme. Is there some sort of lottery for the Dim but Opinionated spot on QT that she won?

She's a regular contributor on Sky News too. It's her voice that does me in as much as her opinions.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Where PR is also used. So you are also represented by (a lot of) remainer MEPs.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What has happened? You mean Farage, despite not being elected to Parliament, becoming the most influential British politician of the 21st. century - because, whether you like what he has achieved or not, that is exactly what he has become.

Racist chancer may be a better description. it's subjective.

influential synonyms: powerful, authoritative, dominant, controlling, strong; important, prominent, predominant, leading, prestigious, distinguished, noteworthy
"the most influential political organization on the continent"

significant, important, crucial, pivotal;
instrumental, guiding, persuasive, inspiring

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Racist chancer may be a better description. it's subjective.

influential synonyms: powerful, authoritative, dominant, controlling, strong; important, prominent, predominant, leading, prestigious, distinguished, noteworthy
"the most influential political organization on the continent"

significant, important, crucial, pivotal;
instrumental, guiding, persuasive, inspiring
'Racist chancer. may be your very subjective view. The question is, though, has Farage been influential or not? As we almost certainly wouldn't have even had a referendum, let alone vote to leave the EU, without him, that makes him pretty influential. Now [B[that[/B] is objective. Stuff subjectivity - it's meaningless compared to objectivity.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
As we almost certainly wouldn't have even had a referendum, let alone vote to leave the EU, without him, that makes him pretty influential. Now that is objective.

No that's subjective too.

You don't know what would have happened if Farage didn't exisit, you subjectively think that "we almost certainly wouldn't have even had a referendum". You are giving your opinion, nothing objective about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here