Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Question Time 01/03/18- This could become feisty

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
In what way is Thunder Bolt demonstrating "niavety" (you need to check your spelling) about politics? He is being realistic. By all means share your point of view but I don't understand why you have to insult people. I can't see that your comparison of Sinn Fein's political statement of refusing to take their seats in a "foreign" parliament as a valid comparison with Farage's hypocrisy; he decries the plight of the British fishing industry but never attends the fisheries committee to speak-up for it.

I was being kind, it’s more like ignorance, and if calling out people for political naivety is now an insult, that goes some way to explaining why I cannot post on the Brexit or Trump threads, albeit it would be useful if someone could confirm that.

Anyways, so what you are saying is that SF MPs not taking up their seats in Parliament whilst taking full salaries and expenses (from British taxpayers) is in your view not hypocrisy but UKIP MEPs who take full salaries and expenses from EU taxpayers (including British ones) but don’t work on EU committees etc. is hypocrisy?

Thunderbolt moans about not having representation from Farage as her MEP conveniently ignoring the pro EU MEPs that also represent the same constituency. This is a far better position in representation than those non SF voters in the SF constituencies in NI.

So, I’m right, Thunderbolt is politically naive because of the above, but more than that the voters of UKIP and SF share similar political objectives and motives if not ideology. The fact you can get your head round it is not my problem. Can you imagine a SF voter moaning about their MPs lack of attendance at Parliamentary committees?

Niavety........I should coco.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
None of the current parties are fit for purpose. The British people have been sold down the river :shootself
It's the British people that dictate our politics. It's us that votes someone in, and then spends the next 5 years trying to belittle them instead of standing behind them while they try to run our country.

We're negotiating the biggest deal this country has had in generations, and half the people are willing the negotiations to fail so they can say 'I told you so' :facepalm:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyway I do recall very clearly that along with Wardle, Farage continually stated in that campaign that you should vote for him because Greg Barker, who held the seat quite comfortably for the Tories, was a 'a highly inappropriate choice to be an MP'.

I never knew what Farage meant by that.

Subsequently in 2006 Greg Barker, as the front page of The Daily Mail revealed, left his wife and children for and set up home with an Irish male interior designer.

I knew what Farage meant after that alright
That the MP who claimed to be a family man and promoted family values was actually shagging around the whole time?

Not sure from that alone that he was being anti-gay.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's the British people that dictate our politics. It's us that votes someone in, and then spends the next 5 years trying to belittle them instead of standing behind them while they try to run our country.

We're negotiating the biggest deal this country has had in generations, and half the people are willing the negotiations to fail so they can say 'I told you so' :facepalm:

Anyone who really understands the EU project, it's history, it's drivers, it's values will know that there is / was never going to be a "deal" with the UK. They do not wish to damage the integrity of the EU by bending the rules for our benefit, and they're right to think like that. The majority of Remainers like me aren't "willing the negotiations to fail" - we're looking on at the inevitability of events unfolding as we knew they would and as the Leavers never imagined, Northern Ireland being a fine example.

May's 5-point guide to her Brexit deal is hogwash, and as for bringing this country together she underestimates the extent to which millions here love Europe - my father was Croatian, my assistant is Romanian, I have clients who are German, Polish, Italian and friends who are Irish and French. I will always resent my membership of the EU being taken away from me by Brexit, nothing will ever change that.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That the MP who claimed to be a family man and promoted family values was actually shagging around the whole time?

Not sure from that alone that he was being anti-gay.

There wasn't any suggestion of him sleeping around whilst married until he had a fling in with an interior designer and moved out the marital home as revealed in 2006, which frankly shocked The Bexhill & Battle Conservative and Unionist Association to it's very core when revealed. His Mother-In-Law put the knife in him in the papers if I recall correctly too when it all came out - he just fell for his interior designer as I recall it - love happens when you least expect it.

I suggest Farage knew something she and others didn't in 2001 though.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyone who really understands the EU project, it's history, it's drivers, it's values will know that there is / was never going to be a "deal" with the UK. They do not wish to damage the integrity of the EU by bending the rules for our benefit, and they're right to think like that.
I disagree.

The majority of Remainers like me aren't "willing the negotiations to fail"
I disagree.
we're looking on at the inevitability of events unfolding as we knew they would and as the Leavers never imagined
Oh, so the remainers all knew what would happen, and the leavers were naive. What a refreshing view.

I will always resent my membership of the EU being taken away from me by Brexit, nothing will ever change that.
That's all you needed to say.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There wasn't any suggestion of him sleeping around whilst married until he had a fling in with an interior designer and moved out the marital home as revealed in 2006, which frankly shocked The Bexhill & Battle Conservative and Unionist Association to it's very core when revealed.
So how did Farage know he was gay if he was a faithful married man? That doesn't add up. Unless you knew him well, you wouldn't have any idea whether or not he was sleeping around would you.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
So how did Farage know he was gay if he was a faithful married man? That doesn't add up. Unless you knew him well, you wouldn't have any idea whether or not he was sleeping around would you.

I assume Farage was tipped off as he wasn't the only one saying it and there was a split in the local association, hence Farage thinking he had a chance by standing there. 'A highly inappropriate choice to be an MP' was the phrase used though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I assume Farage was tipped off as he wasn't the only one saying it
Tipped off about what? If the guy was married with kids and not seeing anyone else, then no one could have known he was gay.

'A highly inappropriate choice to be an MP' was the phrase used though.
I'm no fan of Farage (never have or would vote ukip), I'm just saying it's unclear to me what that means. I don't see how he could know someone was gay if they weren't actively so, and if they were actively so then that would be a reason to question the suitability of someone who claimed to be a faithful family man (with their wife).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Tipped off about what? If the guy was married with kids and not seeing anyone else, then no one could have known he was gay.

I'm no fan of Farage (never have or would vote ukip), I'm just saying it's unclear to me what that means. I don't see how he could know someone was gay if they weren't actively so, and if they were actively so then that would be a reason to question the suitability of someone who claimed to be a faithful family man (with their wife).

The implication locally was that Barker had gay relationships before he was married - a bit like Michael Portillio did, who had to eventually reveal it when the papers had personal accounts in regards to it from his university days - and the 'highly inappropriate' line was in relation to that.

Jan 30, 2008
Anyone who really understands the EU project, it's history, it's drivers, it's values will know that there is / was never going to be a "deal" with the UK. They do not wish to damage the integrity of the EU by bending the rules for our benefit, and they're right to think like that. The majority of Remainers like me aren't "willing the negotiations to fail" - we're looking on at the inevitability of events unfolding as we knew they would and as the Leavers never imagined, Northern Ireland being a fine example.

May's 5-point guide to her Brexit deal is hogwash, and as for bringing this country together she underestimates the extent to which millions here love Europe - my father was Croatian, my assistant is Romanian, I have clients who are German, Polish, Italian and friends who are Irish and French. I will always resent my membership of the EU being taken away from me by Brexit, nothing will ever change that.
ME, ME, ME, AGAIN you could always join your friends in the EU if you love it that much
regards
DR

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The implication locally was that Barker had gay relationships before he was married - a bit like Michael Portillio did, who had to eventually reveal it when the papers had personal accounts in regards to it from his university days - and the 'highly inappropriate' line was in relation to that.
It's all just wild speculation.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's all just wild speculation.

Born in Sussex, went to Lancing, successful business career, married with children to a millionaire heiress, yet described as 'highly inappropriate' as an MP for the Tory safe seat of Bexhill & Battle in 2001, before finally revealing his sexuality after years of suppressing it in 2006 - it's a tough one alright.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sinn Fein politicians don’t take their seats as the elected representatives for their constituencies, and they take salaries and expenses to further their political objectives. Those that voted for them are unconcerned with this arrangement, it’s a means to an end. You should have been moaning about them for years.

UKIP and Farage are supported by an electorate that are equally unconcerned with how Farage and UKIP conduct themselves as MEPs. You and others that make the argument that they are somehow selling out their supporters are only demonstrating your niavety about politics and the motives of much of the electorate.

I presume the remit of an MEP is similar to that of an MP in that, once the election is over, they are there to represent all their constituents. As I'm in Hampshire, Nigel Farage is one of my MEPs too, and if he is not attending committees, he has no hope of representing my views on anything at all.

Question Time last night showed him up for what he is - a thug, a bully and a loudmouth, a master of the soundbite. Ken Clarke might be a windbag, but he is a windbag who talks a hell of a lot more sense than Farage because he is capable of thinking things through and recognising how complicated the whole business of extracting ourselves from the European Union is. Whether you share Ken Clarke's view on Europe or not, that is not an anti-BREXIT stance, it is a cold hard fact.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't see that at all. CMD called a referendum because he couldn't control his own party and wanted to shut up the likes of IDS, Gove, Davis etc. Farage had nothing to do with that. Nor was Farage chosen to lead the official Leave campaign, indeed many of the Leave campaigners were disowning remarks he'd made.

I'm sure that Farage will merit a paragraph or two in history books of the future but he's going to be more like the Feargus O'Connor of the 2010s rather than the John Bright.

UKIP was steadily increasing its share of the vote with its single issue stance. It was top performer in the Euro elections and almost got a lot of MPs in 2015 (at the expense of the Tories). Cameron was dead scared of them and thought that a referendum defeat would cause them to lose popularity. Without UKIP there would not have been a referendum. For that reason alone Farage has been the most influential person in the UK probably since Thatcher.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
QT has passed its sell by date for me. I guess those in charge felt that a change was in order, but all those years ago deciding to allow non-politicians has backfired I believe. I got hacked off seeing the likes of Lorraine Kelly being so smug. It should be politicians only. Why don't they revert back to a panel of 4 and have those 4 being politicians local to the venue? That way the same old faces and 'look at me' journalists/broadcasters etc can do one. In the build up to a GE, then maybe they could hold them in the big cities and have the main parties' defence ministers/equivalents together.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I disagree.

I disagree.
Oh, so the remainers all knew what would happen, and the leavers were naive. What a refreshing view.

That's all you needed to say.

Back in June 2016 where was the 'Leave' solution for the INEVITABLE problem of border check between Northern and Southern Ireland? You've used the word 'naive' about Leavers, and I think you've hit the nail on the head. Obvious problem, Leave in denial, chickens INEVITABLY coming home to roost now.

Stop posturing and tell me how we can leave the EU and still have a frictionless Irish border.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here