Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Question for blood donors

Jul 7, 2003
Having not donated blood for a while for a variety of reasons, I signed up earlier this year to start donating again.

I have made three appointments so far and each time the session has been cancelled.

Anyone having this issue?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I had one cancellation but on speaking to the staff at IIRC the last session I went to, there's an issue with staffing levels at the moment, and they are finding it very hard to recruit currently.

Hopefully there were alternate sessions fairly close to you that you were able to attend?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've only had one appointment cancelled by them, around christmas a few years ago when there were too many donors and not enough staff. Hopefully you'll have a bit more success with upcoming appointments. As dolphins says, there tend to be more sessions around. You can look up the various places with upcoming sessions here: https://my.blood.co.uk/

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not been able to donate so far this year but never had a session cancelled before.

Jul 7, 2003
I had one cancellation but on speaking to the staff at IIRC the last session I went to, there's an issue with staffing levels at the moment, and they are finding it very hard to recruit currently.

Hopefully there were alternate sessions fairly close to you that you were able to attend?

Thanks - they don't give any specific reason when they cancel. There is one today I can't attend and when I looked earlier, the next local one (I'm checking for Worthing) was not showing until October. Just checked again and they are now offering a session next week so maybe some people have cancelled.

*Edit - there is one slot available on that date so must have been a cancellation. Unfortunately I can't make that one due to work.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
I had a cancellation for the first time ever for my booked session at the Shoreham Centre on Friday. Went onto the app to re-book, expecting to have to wait a couple of months and was able to book for Friday again and 20 minutes before my original planned session, which ironically was better for me timing wise!

So if you do get a cancellation, I would just re-book and hope it goes ahead.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I registered up here (Cheshire), haven't heard a thing since :shrug:

A shame, I love being a B positive...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Regular blood donor sessions at Gorings Mead, home of Horsham YMCA FC. Normally twice a week, Monday and/or Thursday.

I'm often in the office there, and they look pretty well attended to me.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Forgot to mention, a couple of donations ago, they mentioned to me that they release late slots (and cancellations) close to the session date, so if you prefer a particular venue (my normal ones are the Racecourse and Cricket Ground) but nothing on the dates you are interested in, keep checking, particularly closer to the session date. The app is apparently the better tool to snaffle those preferable sessions. All you need to remember is a minimum of 12 weeks between donations (unless there's a war on that the country is actively involved in, when they'll drop that to a lesser period).

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Yeah I looked on a whim the other month and found a slot the following day, at the cricket ground.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Have had one cancelled at late notice. Obviously they can't tell you why but the main critical staffing issue is having the correctly qualified nurse there. And unlike most of the rest of us they are taking regular COVID tests, and there is a lot of COVID about

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Strange that mine was cancelled yesterday less than an hour before it was due.....( due to staff shortages)

again strangley I turned up 15 mins late due to traffic last year and they told me to go away and book another appointment....

No where near as user friendly as they used to be with walk in appointments..

but I still feel its a duty to donate.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, of course.:shrug:

They always find a vein first time, none of your messing about in the local surgery. This lot are shit hot at taking blood, there is really no reason not to.

Sorry, did not mean to make light. I cannot give blood due to a genetic condition I have but support those who can.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Sorry, did not mean to make light. I cannot give blood due to a genetic condition I have but support those who can.

No problem Clamp, but it is really so simple to do.

Whenever I do it, I just want to get out as soon as I can and prefer to miss the biscuits.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
OP do you not have a sort permanent regional centre where you can donate? I have used this visiting donation sessions before but they could be easier for the NBTS service to cancel as opposed to a permanent donation centre?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
OP do you not have a sort permanent regional centre where you can donate? I have used this visiting donation sessions before but they could be easier for the NBTS service to cancel as opposed to a permanent donation centre?

There's 25 of them around the country, and shown here: https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/about-our-donation-venues/

So, for those of us in the Brighton area, the London sites are probably closest, which count them out for us.

I've got donation #69 coming up in August. Hope I don't giggle if one of the nurses makes a thing of it! :lolol:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I had my session in Shoreham cancelled day before last month but managed to rebook for Friday 8th July. The text I received said it was due to staffing issues.

I’ve had this once before - a year or so ago. The process is a bit more regimented than when I first started giving 40 years ago … but it is so so important to do if you can.

My son is currently back in hospital and has received a number of blood transfusions. I’ve donated 73 times so hopefully I’m still in ‘credit’ !

Male donors can give every 12 weeks now, compared to twice a year when I first started … so I try and give 4 times a year if I can.

So … Do Something Amazing … Give Blood !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here