Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR - now relegated, will they have to pay their FFP fine?

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
FFP = waste of time and effort

FL = joke.

Sounds to me like they are not confident that they can fight QPR so taking an easy option. Might as well can FFP and think of another way to protect the prem boys......

Rugby is starting to look far more attractive these days......

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Pathetic. The rules are very clear, and it's equally clear that QPR have broken them. Pay the fine or don't join the league.

agreed. problem is the timing though. QPR will drag through the courts while they play in the Championship. Innocent until they are (obviously) proved guilty, but the Football league will bottle it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
agreed. problem is the timing though. QPR will drag through the courts while they play in the Championship. Innocent until they are (obviously) proved guilty
They're not at all innocent until proven guilty - this isn't a criminal law case, it's about the rules of a private members club. The League would be able to kick a club out if the League determine that their rules have been broken, and an on-going legal case wouldn't change that. But the League are pathetic.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
QPR have been in discussions with the FL for over six months. Fernandes is playing brinkmanship, and being a billionaire, can easily afford the lawyers fees that go along with this case.

He thinks he is above the League, time will tell.

If he is successful then do Forest, Blackburn and Leeds have a case to sue the FL for loss of earnings?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
agreed. problem is the timing though. QPR will drag through the courts while they play in the Championship. Innocent until they are (obviously) proved guilty, but the Football league will bottle it

By bottling it do you mean letting them off paying the fine? That should only happen with the members agreement surely, unless QPR successfully challenge the legality of the rules.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
They're not at all innocent until proven guilty - this isn't a criminal law case, it's about the rules of a private members club. The League would be able to kick a club out if the League determine that their rules have been broken, and an on-going legal case wouldn't change that. But the League are pathetic.

Clearly a turn of phrase indicating they need to investigate before concluding on whether they have cheated the system.....but carry on

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
QPR have been in discussions with the FL for over six months. Fernandes is playing brinkmanship, and being a billionaire, can easily afford the lawyers fees that go along with this case.

He thinks he is above the League, time will tell.

If he is successful then do Forest, Blackburn and Leeds have a case to sue the FL for loss of earnings?

Wouldn't the fact that sanctions have been imposed, and accepted, on other members without being challenged, make the rules more viable though?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Wouldn't the fact that sanctions have been imposed, and accepted, on other members without being challenged, make the rules more viable though?

Forest and Leeds both voted for the rules, and therefore accepted them in good faith. If Fernandes goes to court and they are deemed to be illegal then all bets are void.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Clearly a turn of phrase indicating they need to investigate before concluding on whether they have cheated the system.....but carry on
I think you're wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Forest and Leeds both voted for the rules, and therefore accepted them in good faith. If Fernandes goes to court and they are deemed to be illegal then all bets are void.

Indeed. Do you mean then that QPR will be challenging the rules on the grounds that they were not in the FL when they were made? In other words, they did not agree to them and are not therefore bound by them. Or challenging them on some other terms?

I'm not sure what you mean.

What I mean is that as Leeds etc have had transfer embargoes placed upon them and they did not challenge them, it sets a precedent of sorts for the rest of the rules, I would hope anyway. With the caviat above from El Pres that they did not actually agree to them as they were not in the FL at the time they were agreed.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Indeed. Do you mean then that QPR will be challenging the rules on the grounds that they were not in the FL when they were made? In other words, they did not agree to them and are not therefore bound by them. Or challenging them on some other terms?

What I mean is that as Leeds etc have had transfer embargoes placed upon them and they did not challenge them, it sets a precedent of sorts for the rest of the rules, I would hope anyway. With the caviat above from El Pres that they did not actually agree to them as they were not in the FL at the time they were agreed.

It's true that they weren't in the FL when the rules were made, but they were aware of the rules when they joined the league. If they weren't happy with the rules, perhaps they should have given legal notice then?

Their chief executive, finance director and manager from 2013/14 have all left their jobs since QPR were promoted, which only leaves one person to keep on with this activity.

There are two ways in which they could be successful

(a) Persuade the courts that they only lost £8 million in 2013/14, which is the figure according to their accounts.........which looks fairly creative to me.
(b) Persuade the courts that FFP is illegal.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
There is a big decision coming up. Barber and his peers will be putting untold pressure on the FL to stick to their guns on this. Who is going to squeak first.
the lawyers must be licking their lips raw over this one. This could run and run.....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed. Do you mean then that QPR will be challenging the rules on the grounds that they were not in the FL when they were made? In other words, they did not agree to them and are not therefore bound by them.
I don't think they'd have a case on that basis. Of course they wouldn't get a vote as they weren't in the League. When they joined the league, they would be deemed to accept the rules of that league, or not join. Otherwise we're basically saying that it is impossible for the league to have any rules at all, as there will always be clubs in the league that didn't vote for them.

What I mean is that as Leeds etc have had transfer embargoes placed upon them and they did not challenge them, it sets a precedent of sorts for the rest of the rules, I would hope anyway.
I don't think it matters that other clubs have accepted the decisions.

Every single year, the League decides who is in which division. I don't think we've ever had a case where they have changed the teams based on the fact that one team has a new legal challenge. If the League are under pressure from QPR, but not from the teams would be promoted should QPR be kicked out, then they're being weak to let QPR start next season in the Championship.

One caveat that I think would be acceptable, is if QPR agreed upfront that they will pay the fine (in full, + interest) if that's what the court later determines - eg, regardless of whether they've been promoted back to the premier league or not, they will pay the fine.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
bottle job

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here